Routing Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Routing Question

Okay GPS guys, here's one for ya. My 2610 is set on factory defaults for roads, i./e. in the middle I think it was for interstate, major, minor. V8 software.

We were going to a gymnastics meet near Asheville, NC. We had instructions provided by the gym. Pretty simple, but I also wanted the route in the GPS, so we could use that as a reference while we were out there.

When I programmed in the address, it found it and I tried fastest and shortest routes, yet neither of them made any sense, especially when you could see the direct route we already had on the map on the GPS. It had me making 3 turns out of the way, basically going backwards and around the block to get there. I tried adding via points and it had me going to the two via points, passing them, turningaround in a neighborhood with a cul-de-sac, and going the original out of the way route to get there. What gives? Instead of a rt, left, rt from the interstate, it had me going rt, rt, left, left, about 3 miles out of the way.

Do I need to change a setting on my road preferences to get it to use a more direct route? I realize the GPS isn't aware of traffic patterns, but this was a bit ridiculous.

This isn't the first time it has mapped a route like that either. I'm wanting it to route a little better.

IF only it could route around crack neighborhoods too......but I'll settle for better routing.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Okay GPS guys, here's one for ya. My 2610 is set on factory defaults for roads, i./e. in the middle I think it was for interstate, major, minor. V8 software.

We were going to a gymnastics meet near Asheville, NC. We had instructions provided by the gym. Pretty simple, but I also wanted the route in the GPS, so we could use that as a reference while we were out there.

When I programmed in the address, it found it and I tried fastest and shortest routes, yet neither of them made any sense, especially when you could see the direct route we already had on the map on the GPS. It had me making 3 turns out of the way, basically going backwards and around the block to get there. I tried adding via points and it had me going to the two via points, passing them, turningaround in a neighborhood with a cul-de-sac, and going the original out of the way route to get there. What gives? Instead of a rt, left, rt from the interstate, it had me going rt, rt, left, left, about 3 miles out of the way.

Do I need to change a setting on my road preferences to get it to use a more direct route? I realize the GPS isn't aware of traffic patterns, but this was a bit ridiculous.

This isn't the first time it has mapped a route like that either. I'm wanting it to route a little better.

IF only it could route around crack neighborhoods too......but I'll settle for better routing.

Randy
Just a wild guess... I have the old StreetPilot III and I can't fit all the detail map data on the memory stick at one time. Sometimes if a route happens to pass through an area for which the detail is not loaded onto the stick, then the route gets funky. I don't know much about the 2610 - I would assume it's got all the detail pre-loaded - but if not, or if any map regions are disabled, that could be part of the problem. HTH.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 12:17 pm

I also use the 2610 and find that it usually does a pretty good job. Like the previous poster said, though, you need to have maps loaded for the area you are routing to. If you are routing with only the base maps things can get a bit crazy.

The card that comes with the 2610 will not hold very many maps so I purchased a 2GB card for mine and loaded all the maps onto it. Now I don't have to continually load maps when moving to a new area. If you've loaded the correct up to date maps and it's still goofing up, I don't know what to tell you. The GPS can definately create some interesting adventures.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 12:49 pm

There is a bug with new version of City Navigator. It routes you completely opposite of how you have your preferences set. In other words, if you tell it you prefer main roads, it will route you through every minor road it can find. So, try adjusting your preferences to the opposite of what you want and see what that does.

Garmin is aware of the issue and is supposed to be fixing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 7 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I do have the 2 GB card and the maps are all loaded and the detail is there - I could see the route that the instructions said to follow. But nothing I did would make the GPS use that route. A few weeks ago, we had a route that said take X 126. Nothing I did could gett it to take that exit. It would route me UP the ramp and back down. Even using via points would involve turning around somewhere.

When I have instructions, I follow those and let the GPS recalculate, but my thinking is that if I'm trying to find something I DON:T have directions for, what the heck is it going to do then? Guess the best thing is to route it and try to see if there are any better routes to look at.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the opposite pref a try.

Randy
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 8:14 am

I think part of the problem is that sometimes the gps cant tell which you are pointed until it sees movement and then it can tell. Thats why it has you initially going the wrong way. I have three gps's and all do that sometimes. Move at least 40 ft then plug in where to and see what happens.

Kurt
Brand new owner of a 2006 LT
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:41 am Thread Starter

I have seen that happen, but in a couple cases, I was programming route at home, from my "home" point and the route it chose made no sense.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

When traveling, I do make sure it "sees" which way we are pointed when I need to.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in