Route Transfers for Zumo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Route Transfers for Zumo

I've looked on this site and have seen this mentioned but not in detail. I use the MapSourse software and I believe I'm using the latest version from their web site. I currently transfer my routes to my Zumo via USB. But, I can only transfer one route at a time. Is there a way to send more than one route to the Zumo without having to disconnect the USB, import the route on the Zumo, then reconnect and transfer again and again until all routes are transferred?

Also, I tried to copy the routes to my SD card and then insert the card in the Zumo to import them but it didn't "see" them on the card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

2007 BMW R1200RT - Silver
Safari-pegs, Bakup Backrest, Zumo 550, Ztechnik windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Tim

Try asking your questions on the Zumo forum at

http://www.zumoforums.com/

I have learned a lot about my zumo there. They have a bunch of zumo experts.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Garage
I don't have a Zumo. I have a Garmin 2720 and a Nüvi 350. So I'm not sure how "apples to oranges" this will be, but I can transfer multiple routes to either of them through MapSource.

File:
New:
Draw a route.

Switch to the Hand Tool.

Go to where you want to start the new route and right-click and choose "Begin Route" and start a new route.

Repeat as necessary.

When you're done drawing all of your routes, save and name it (if you want to keep them for later) or just transfer them to your device.

Hope that helps.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 9:58 am

Garage
Zumo route transfer

Tim
The short answer is yes, you can transfer multiple routes to the Zumo. You do not need to disconnect and import them one at a time.

After you create the route in Mapsource, save it as a GPX file. You can do this without having the Zumo connected. You have to select GPX format in Mapsource as this is not its default file extension.

When you are satisfied that you have the route you wish to ride, eg to the Rally in Gillette, connect the Zumo. Open my computer. You should see two new drives in for the Zumo. You want to make sure that you move the files into a folder labeled 'GPX'. Both my disks look something like this Garmin(F-->Garmin-->GPX. After you have moved all the routes you want to the GPX folder, then disconnect and wait for the Zumo to recognize that there are new routes for you to manage (import). You can use either disk in the Zumo as the routes don't take up much space. I just always use the SD card.

Note that you can have multiple routes in the same map source file. Example: your ride to Gillette is going to take 4 days. You can then create a route for each day in the same MS file. So now the file has 5 routes, 1 for each day and 1 for the whole ride. When you move the Mapsource file to the zumo it will have 5 routes. You can choose to import all of them or 1 at a time.

As mentioned, the Zumoforums site has about all you could ever ask about the Zumo. Almost overwhelming!

Ron
05 R1200RT
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Excellent information. Thanks much and I'll also try reviewing the Zumo forum too.

Tim

2007 BMW R1200RT - Silver
Safari-pegs, Bakup Backrest, Zumo 550, Ztechnik windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in