2610 Map Update Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

2610 Map Update Question

My wife and I just took a 1000+ mile (wonderful) trip through West Virginia. Before I left home I made four routes for the Summersville, WV area. When I activated a route, my 2610 said that the maps were not compatible (?), do I want to recalculate. I guess when I purchased the latest mapsource software I never updated the maps on my gps unit.

My question is, do I install the latest maps over the existing maps, or do I need to un-install the older version maps?
I also assume that I just open a blank Mapsoursce map and select the areas that I want to download to the gps?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Other more experienced voice will chime in I'm sure, but I think if you updated your software, or bought new, you might want to open Mapsource and select the maps for the areas you want and upload those to the GPS just to make sure you have all the new roads and POIs.

Along those same lines, I recently updated City Navigator and found a bug that i reported to Garmin. If you select 2 points and tell Mapsource to create a route, it may not create the route you expected. I can't remember where it is in the software, but somewhere there is a place to select your route preferences. You can either select use minor roads or use major roads or a combination. What happens is the opposite of what you expect. If you tell Mapsource to use major roads and re-calc your route, it'll route you using minor roads. The opposite happens if you tell it to use minor roads. It'll throw you onto a highway. Again, this is for the newest version of City Navigator.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #3 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 6:46 pm
tpg

2610 upgrade

Mike

Sounds like it may have been a while since you bought your unit. Call Garmin and see if you are entitled to a free update. You might be. If not tell them which one you have and see if it makes sense to buy an update.
You can load over the top of the old one. You should go to Staples and buy a 2Gig card, it will hold all of the US and Canada. Best of luck.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpg
Mike

Sounds like it may have been a while since you bought your unit. Call Garmin and see if you are entitled to a free update. You might be. If not tell them which one you have and see if it makes sense to buy an update.
You can load over the top of the old one. You should go to Staples and buy a 2Gig card, it will hold all of the US and Canada. Best of luck.
I had version 7 and updated to 2008. I will try loading the maps over the older ones. I do have the 2gig card. I created a new file and loaded the entire US which came out to about 1.5Gig. The gps may take about two seconds longer to load with the entire US instead of just a portion of it.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA

post #5 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Along those same lines, I recently updated City Navigator and found a bug that i reported to Garmin. If you select 2 points and tell Mapsource to create a route, it may not create the route you expected. I can't remember where it is in the software, but somewhere there is a place to select your route preferences. You can either select use minor roads or use major roads or a combination. What happens is the opposite of what you expect. If you tell Mapsource to use major roads and re-calc your route, it'll route you using minor roads. The opposite happens if you tell it to use minor roads. It'll throw you onto a highway. Again, this is for the newest version of City Navigator.

Sorry to hijack your thread.
No problem. The thing that I hate about Mapsource, or at least do not understand it that well is that I have to create many waypoints when making a route. While making a route I know what roads I want to take, but if I select too much of a distance, Mapsource will draw the "line" on other roads, so I will have to go back and create waypoints to stay on my roads.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 11:10 pm

I have a 2610, 2730 and a 2820. When I got the newer ones last year I though I would just update the 2610 with the new maps. I went to the Garmin site to update the firmware and then tried to load the latest CD that came with the 2820, didn't work. I ended up calling Garmin. Garmin said that the 2610 needed to be upgraded differently than the rest. They told me how to do it and sent me a new cd with the correct unlock codes and I haven't had a problem since, and they did not charge me. I was supprised to get through in less than 5 mins also. The tech said that they hired a lot more techs to handle the questions, used to take 15 to 30 mins to get to talk to some one.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

I just finished updating my 2610. It was about a three hour task. First, Mapsource had to index than build the map set. After it was finished it took over a hour to transfer the mapset to the 2610. It was a 1.7Gig file. Turning on the gps the first time took about 15 seconds to load the mapset. After that, there was no hesitation on starting the 2610. The transfer over wrote the existing gmapsupp.img file.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in