Garmin Zumo 550 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Zumo 550

Well, finally broke the jar and swung for the Zumo 550. Wow, this rascal is jam up and jelly tight. Wearing me out playing with it. Got a real deal at Buy E Retail. $650 delivered next day FedEx and with a box of mounts, cables, chargers, bolts and nuts, on and on. Good stuff.

Mounted it with the double ball clap on the right bar. Really works great. Easy to see for us bifocal folks and easy to select. Although I would recommend stopping for a coffee if serious route changes need to be made.

Got a two prong trailer plug from Northern and wired accordingly to allow the mounting to be removed by simply unpluging. Cool.

Only issue I have is that I cannot get the City Navigator NT North America registered. I am a real numnuts when it comes to registrations that ask for something different than what is stated elsewhere. Been online but codes and words asked for are written different than whats on the paper. Anybody got some ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:29 pm

In the Box

There should have been an orange sheet of paper in the box. On the bottom of the page is this long number which is the registration number.

Took me awhile to find it but it worked.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Garage
Zumo Site

Oldracer

Congrats on the Zumo.

This site has excellent information on the Zumo. Worth checking out. You will be amazed at all the stuff it can do.

www.zumoforums.com

Also, the latest version of the mapping SW is City Nav North America NT 2008. If yours is v 8, you will probably be entitled to a free upgrade from Garmin. Usually, that notification happens when you complete you log registration process.

Just a suggestion, but mounting on the right bar, the throttle side, doesn't that force you to reach across your chest with your left hand. The Zumo was designed to be operated with the left hand, thus all the buttons are on the left side of the Zumo. Might be easier to operate on the left handlebar or in the center.

Ron
05 R1200RT Nimbus

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Congrats on the Zumo. You're really making me eager to go buy one. I have this fear that as soon as I do, they'll come out with an upgrade that includes weather maps. Ugh.

Did you just get the package at buyeretail, or did you get additional things? I cannot match the price you paid with what I see on the website. Did you get the XM atenna?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Garage
Bobnoxious

Weather maps.
The GXM-30 Antenna/receiver does provide weather etc This is from the Garmin site

The compact, all-in-one GXM 30 delivers XM Satellite weather, traffic and radio to your compatible Garmin unit. With the GXM 30 and a subscription to XM services, you can check the weather, avoid traffic backups or listen to the radio when you travel with your unit.

I doubt that a unit designed primarily for M/Cs will provide weather maps as that seems to be outside the intended use. But more stuff is always nice.

Ron
05 R1200RT Nimbus
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Hi Ron.

I do see that it has "basic weather", but I'm not sure what that means. I've seen real-time weather maps on chart plotters that would be great for avoiding wet spots if you have sporadic rain. I'd love that. But I could get along with forecasts for cities on the way.

Like you say, more is nice.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Yes I do if I have to make an adjustment. Have a J&M on the left bar that was already mounted since I bought the LT used. My disciplin is very simple, I don't mess with any changes unless I stop at a safe harbor. I have used it only once on the bike but about 500 plus miles in my truck/car. It's really cool. BUT does some strange mapping that I know better. Don't know why??
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Yes, got the basic unit at Buy E Retail. Came to just short of $650 delivered next day via FedEx. Didn't get any extra antennas, and have used the unit in the house, my car and truck and on the bike and have had absolutely no problems getting sat signals.

My only concern is that it has some quirks that I don't understand. Like-I go from point A to B and return and the return directions might be different than the to directions. Beats me.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I have the basic weather from XM for my 2730. It is about $4 a month added to the XM radio cost. It is a cartoon map of cloud symbols or sun, based on the local small/large airports in the area you are in. Airports are listed by miles from your position with a direction arrow, with the wind/ sky condition/ temp/etc. The update is about every hour from the small airports. It is only as good as the location of airports close to you if you are heading toward that big black cloud with rain pouring out. You do get weather warnings as well as traffic warnings on major interstates or in large cites. (You can pay more per month and get nex/rad real time weather like you see on TV) Between looking at the sky, tunning to the bike WX station, and the XM you can see if you want to press on or find cover. HTH, Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
(You can pay more per month and get nex/rad real time weather like you see on TV)
The 2730 doesn't support the live nexrad weather radar. I don't believe the zumo does either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in