Avoid Highway setting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Avoid Highway setting

I am an idiot!
Before I left on a trip from Union, Ky to Morgantown, WV I set the GPS setting to avoid highways. Got to WV and the next day we were on a group ride. Trouble started after fellow rider went down and I hauled him on LT to Harrisonburg Va. I needed to get back to Morgantown WV. So I did a new route from harrisonburg to Morgantown, WV. I was getting frustrated when I kept being directed onto Creek roads which were turning into gravel. I figured my GPS was failing or maps were not uptodate. Then it got dark and here I was lost in the (can't spell) Monongohela mountains. When I say dark I mean DARK. riding along I hear "in 500 feet turn right" another little gravel road going off into the darkness. Oh hell no. But don't tell me the LT can't handle gravel roads. It ain't no GS but it did alright. I just kept going till I finally several hours later ran into Interstate 79. That night after a few beers I realized what had happened with the GPS. It was actually a problem with something between the seat and the GPS, ME.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:21 am

Greetings Marc.

That sounds like quite an interesting trip. Scary, but interesting.

How about now you put pen to paper and give us a write-up on the off-road capabilities of the LT. I bet that's never been done before.

Kindest regards and well riden.

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I am an idiot!
Before I left on a trip from Union, Ky to Morgantown, WV I set the GPS setting to avoid highways. Got to WV and the next day we were on a group ride. Trouble started after fellow rider went down and I hauled him on LT to Harrisonburg Va. I needed to get back to Morgantown WV. So I did a new route from harrisonburg to Morgantown, WV. I was getting frustrated when I kept being directed onto Creek roads which were turning into gravel. I figured my GPS was failing or maps were not uptodate. Then it got dark and here I was lost in the (can't spell) Monongohela mountains. When I say dark I mean DARK. riding along I hear "in 500 feet turn right" another little gravel road going off into the darkness. Oh hell no. But don't tell me the LT can't handle gravel roads. It ain't no GS but it did alright. I just kept going till I finally several hours later ran into Interstate 79. That night after a few beers I realized what had happened with the GPS. It was actually a problem with something between the seat and the GPS, ME.
Glad your OK, every GPS or other electrical directional devices have their own personalities. My practice is to know every operational detail BEFORE going on a trip. With that being said, I can't tell you the trouble I've got into from the SO when I selected "PREFER RURAL ROADS" & "AVOID MAJOR HIGHWAYS" in the Iowa country!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:13 pm

I agree - there should be an additional check box on the Garmin preferences for "prefer to remain on pavement", as a sub-category for "Avoid Highways".

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in