Hearing NAV III voice instructions via Bluetooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hearing the NAV III voice instructions via a Bluetooth cell-phone headset

"Hearing the NAV III voice instructions via Bluetooth", A rider's report.

I am able to hear my GPS NaV III navigator's voice instructions using a Motorola S9 Bluetooh head set. If you do a Google product search on "Mortorola S9" headsets you will see the unit I am talking about. They cost about $79.00 dollars. This headset was originally designed to be used with a Bluetooth cellular phone or a Bluetooth style IPod. However the stereo S9 is very compact, sweat resistant, and could be used with shorty style helmets I believe.

Of course the Bluetooth headset has to be paired to the GPS navigator which is pretty easy to do if you are familiar with Bluetooth. Just turn on the headset, holding the S9's on-button continuously for about 3 seconds, and then have the GPS NaV III in a searching mode for new Bluetooth devices, and then enter when prompted by the Nav III, the S9's paring code of "0000". Well, my pairing code was "0000" anyways. I assume it is a Motorola S9 standard code. Its pretty easy to pair the devices if you know the device's code.

So if you really want to hear the GPS Nav III voice instructions and you don't mind riding without a helmet (full helmet people), the S9 Bluetooh headset works well. This Bluetooth stereo headset has a microphone in the left earbud. I have it paired with my bluetooh telephone and the GPS unit. I also selected the female British sounding accent for my NaV III's designated speaking voice. Additional information: The S9 headset is stereo, but the Nav III's voice instructions were observed to be left-channel mono only from this reporter's experience. Another issue to report. My rzr cell phone plays music through the S9 head phones. When a call comes in the music fades away and then returns to the headset after the call disconnects. However my rzr cell phone's music was shut down the entire time my GPS was directing me to its destination. Not just shutdown when its was going to prompt a new direction. I did not observe the music to come back on either after I reached my target destination. I think the BMW Voice wired Comm system can make its music fade in and out during NAV III voice prompting. The Bluetooh issue I am reporting is probably a multi-vendor Bluetooh inter-application programming type issue. BMW/Cingular-rzr/Garmin type thing. One of those three gizmo makers needs to own this one for a fix.

The wired Nolan N-102 N-com helmet I am looking at costs about $500.00, but for $79.00 I can hear what the GPS voice directions really sound like via my Bluetooth headset. However, I prefer to ride with a helmet so I can't wait to get the wired helmet from http://www.jmcorp.com/NolanHelmets.asp I just need to save up the $500.00X2helmet dollars. The 2nd helmet would be for my wife.

John Lazzeroni from ([email protected]) tells me, "Use the HC-ZWY cord for connection to your BMW audio system ,,,,,, And yes ,,,, the N-102 N-com is one of the most popular helmet/headsetcombinations we offer ,,,,,,"

They offer fully assembled COMM helmets or just the COMM parts to retro fit your existing un-COMMed Nolan style helmet. They also sell stuff for other name brand helmets too.

Sure wish the NaV III's voice instructions would just play through my sound system without all this hassle though.

Last edited by IndyNW; Oct 4th, 2007 at 3:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Also Dianese Airstream

I've got a Dianese Airstream Course helmet with integrated bluetooth. It also works with the Nav III, both to hear the Nav III voice instructions and to take/make phone calls (assuming you've got a bluetooth cell phone that can pair with the Nav III.)

I did have to update the Nav III firmware from what was in the box when I bought it to get it to work with this helmet. The update went smoothly.

My only complaint about the helmet is the volume control. You press the (only) button to change the volume across 6 steps. However, the volume change only seems to apply to that connection. e.g. if you're on the phone, turning it up/down works fine, but when you end the phone call the volume goes back to the default 4/6 level. Unfortunately, with the Nav each instruction is a separate connection, so there's effectively no way to turn up the Nav volume permanently. It's OK though, the default 4/6 is loud enough to be heard even with earplugs as long as I going less than about 50 MPH.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNW
"Hearing the NAV III voice instructions via Bluetooth", A rider's report.

I am able to hear my GPS NaV III navigator's voice instructions using a Motorola S9 Bluetooh head set. If you do a Google product search on "Mortorola S9" headsets you will see the unit I am talking about. They cost about $79.00 dollars. This headset was originally designed to be used with a Bluetooth cellular phone or a Bluetooth style IPod. However the stereo S9 is very compact, sweat resistant, and could be used with shorty style helmets I believe.

Of course the Bluetooth headset has to be paired to the GPS navigator which is pretty easy to do if you are familiar with Bluetooth. Just turn on the headset, holding the S9's on-button continuously for about 3 seconds, and then have the GPS NaV III in a searching mode for new Bluetooth devices, and then enter when prompted by the Nav III, the S9's paring code of "0000". Well, my pairing code was "0000" anyways. I assume it is a Motorola S9 standard code. Its pretty easy to pair the devices if you know the device's code.

So if you really want to hear the GPS Nav III voice instructions and you don't mind riding without a helmet (full helmet people), the S9 Bluetooh headset works well. This Bluetooth stereo headset has a microphone in the left earbud. I have it paired with my bluetooh telephone and the GPS unit. I also selected the female British sounding accent for my NaV III's designated speaking voice. Additional information: The S9 headset is stereo, but the Nav III's voice instructions were observed to be left-channel mono only from this reporter's experience. Another issue to report. My rzr cell phone plays music through the S9 head phones. When a call comes in the music fades away and then returns to the headset after the call disconnects. However my rzr cell phone's music was shut down the entire time my GPS was directing me to its destination. Not just shutdown when its was going to prompt a new direction. I did not observe the music to come back on either after I reached my target destination. I think the BMW Voice wired Comm system can make its music fade in and out during NAV III voice prompting. The Bluetooh issue I am reporting is probably a multi-vendor Bluetooh inter-application programming type issue. BMW/Cingular-rzr/Garmin type thing. One of those three gizmo makers needs to own this one for a fix.

The wired Nolan N-102 N-com helmet I am looking at costs about $500.00, but for $79.00 I can hear what the GPS voice directions really sound like via my Bluetooth headset. However, I prefer to ride with a helmet so I can't wait to get the wired helmet from http://www.jmcorp.com/NolanHelmets.asp I just need to save up the $500.00X2helmet dollars. The 2nd helmet would be for my wife.

John Lazzeroni from ([email protected]) tells me, "Use the HC-ZWY cord for connection to your BMW audio system ,,,,,, And yes ,,,, the N-102 N-com is one of the most popular helmet/headsetcombinations we offer ,,,,,,"

They offer fully assembled COMM helmets or just the COMM parts to retro fit your existing un-COMMed Nolan style helmet. They also sell stuff for other name brand helmets too.

Sure wish the NaV III's voice instructions would just play through my sound system without all this hassle though.
Hi there,
I am currently going thru the motions of sorting out my gps audio and wondered if you might have considered the following.

I wonder if one could use one of those "fm modulator" boxes that people use to transmit their ipods/mp3 players thru their car sterios? Wouldnt it be a relatively simple matter of tuning in the bikes fm radio to the "little box" and having the sound come out thru the bikes sound system?

I would be interested to hear what people think of this idea as I cant get my mio gps to pair with my scale headset, and as a result, cant hear the gps.

Thanks to all. Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in