BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Do I need a GPS made for a M/C?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  deputy5211 
#1 ·
Just announced today that the Tom Tom ONE 3rd edition and the Garmin 330 tied as the Consumers Best Buy (the consumer products testing folks) -- so to the guys on this forum who have recently bought ..... well done guys !!

At the risk of asking a completely stupid question :confused: .... why do they make GPS units specifically for M/C and are they better, different, etc?

Basically -- could I mount and use the Tom Tom ONE on my LT? Or do I need to do something special to keep it out of rain, or brighten the screen so I can see it in sun, etc.

Thanks -- I will read replies with interest

Keir

#2 ·
The Tom Tom is "water resistant" whereas the Garmin is waterproof. A moto GPS is usually glove friendly. I used the Garmin 276C, which is basically a marine unit, for years and loved it.

I think I would go for water proof and let your tastes and wallet be the deciding factor.

#3 ·
If you don't already have a unit, get waterproof. I have a Nuvi 360 (not waterproof) that I got for business travel. I didn't want to invest the $$ to get another unit for the scoot, just to add rain-proof factor.

I rarely ride in the rain; if I do, I just put the Nuvi into my tank bag map flap (waterproof). I did get a visor, that makes a real difference.

#5 ·
One of the other considerations is that some GPS units use a very small hard disk to store the software/maps vs. solid state memory, which is obviously a vibration consideration - the C330 does in fact use a hard disk.

I have a Zumo 550 that works just great for both the bike and the car. The added benefit of using it in the car, is you get the hands free Bluetooth for your phone.

Kev

#6 ·
Greetings Keir.

Recently purchased the Garmin Nuvi 660. Absolutely brilliant. Have the FM transmitter on board and listen to the speech directions through the LT's stereo system. Hands free phone is superb too.

I don't ride in the rain...this is Australia after all...should it rain, I slip the Nuvi in my coat pocket. Check this out...I can still hear the voice directions from my pocket because....it also runs on batteries.

Do yourself a favour Keir...check out the Nuvi 6600 and there are plenty of RAM mounts for it.

Kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU
E: corcaigh@internode.on.net

#7 ·
My son just got a 330 and there is no way I would put that on the bike. Garmin makes GPS's for bikes for a reason, they are much more able to handle the enviroment that the bike operates in.

#8 ·
KeVRod_TX said:
One of the other considerations is that some GPS units use a very small hard disk to store the software/maps vs. solid state memory, which is obviously a vibration consideration - the C330 does in fact use a hard disk.

I have a Zumo 550 that works just great for both the bike and the car. The added benefit of using it in the car, is you get the hands free Bluetooth for your phone.

Kev
I use the hands free bluetooth on the bike as well. One of the Zumo's Bluetooth radios synchs up with my phone, and the other synchs up with the bluetooth module on my intercom. Viola!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.