I Surrender! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down I Surrender!

Greetings Knowers of all Knowledge,

I humbly admit defeat. I've been using my BMW Navigator III for over a year now. When MapSource suggested I needed the NEW map upgrade, I ordered it. When I tried to install it, my Computer to GPS communications stopped working. Tired of screwing with it so I'm hoping to send it back for a refund.

FWIW, I NEVER could get the UPDATED maps to load on my GPS. PERIOD.

Secondly, something wierd was going on USB wise. After I gave up trying to load these maps, I could no longer upload routes to my GPS.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled MapSource and at least I'm back to being able to use this mapping software.

If I had to do this over again, I would not have bothered with GPS on the bike.

And, if I was dumb enough to do it again, I'd go with a straight up Garmin Product (i.e. the 2820) The Navigator III is a dumbed down 2820 in the first place.

Geesh... What a pain. Glad it's over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 4:41 am

Did Garmin's tech support verify that the new map database software that you tried to install was compatible with a Nav III?

I don't know about the "dumbed down" part. But the "over-priced" part is the reason I would NEVER buy a BMW-badged GPS.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Evidently,

The Garmin Software techies are still scratching their heads.

FWIW, I believe the 2820 does MP3, the Navigator III does not. Hence "dumbed down"

Price-wise, if it hadn't been "free" I would not have gone there.

The good news is that BMW of Fresno took care of the installation issues on their dime. Great folks over there. Thanks Jack, Steve, Al & Homer.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation VICTORY!!! (Sort of...)

Called Garmin again tonight. Yep, it's confirmed. The 2008 Map Update WILL NOT WORK on the BMW NAVIGATOR III. I've been issued a Return Authorization and, to GARMIN's credit, they are footing the return shipping cost. Evidently, they ARE working on a NAVIGATOR III Map Update. No telling when it will come out. Thought you all should know.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #5 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Dave,

FWIW, I have no real issue with my NAVIGATOR III, even though it is a little bit dumb. Everything works as advertised. My BIG issue is with the Software peeps not making MapSource smart enough to KNOW what kind of GPS Unit is was talking too.

Bottom line: Garmin recognized the issue, are inwork on a fix, and are going to refund my money... NOW if BMW would just make our Final Drives bullet proof!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #6 of 7 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thank You Garmin!

Greetings All,

The promised refund appeared in my bank account yesterday. Thank you Garmin. To Garmin's credit, they did pay return shipping. An update that worked the first time through would have been great. A company that makes things right is the next best thing IMHO. Cheers.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 9:45 am

I ordered the 2008 update for my 2610. Got it, loaded to computer and NOW they are asking for the $75 upgrade fee. I figured they would, but pretty clever to send you the CD for FREE and then ask for money. I'm not that hooked yet though. Can still get around on V8, and don;t see where my area maps have been changed. Maybe later, when money is a flowing a little better.

Hope you guys get your issues workde out.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in