Lowrance IWAY 500C Mounting Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Smile Lowrance IWAY 500C Mounting Question

Hi everyone. Lately I have been researching facts about different gps systems for LT's. I've read an awful lot of info on the web - stats, opinions, user ratings, including the ones on this website. I want a large, easy to read gps display that's touchscreen, waterproof, etc. I settled on IWAY 500C based on several factors. In the end it was between Iway, Garmin 376 and new Cobra Navone 4000. What finally made me decide on it was that I was able to see all of them in one day at different stores and try them. Iway stood out as a clear winner for me.

However, I would like to see different mounting options for Iway on LT. I am leaning towards putting it on the flat area on top of radio, but I haven't seen any mounted there yet. It seems like a natural place for it. Mounting it above speedo is cool but I just don't see how I would be able to reach it during riding if I wanted to zoom in/out or pan the map. I currently use Magellan Meridian Color which fits great on handlebar and I use my thumb to quickly zoom or move on the map. I have no problem with that.

So, any input or better yet pictures of different mounting options of Iway on LT? Thank you.

p.s. I mostly found info on gps systems on following web sites: gpspassion.com, pocketgps.com, epinions.com, amazon.com, newegg.com, cnet.com. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:04 pm

Shelf above speedo

Here is how I have mine mounted:

I mounted mine above the speedo. I am using a 4" RAM mount arm which brings the iWay closer than it may look in this picture. I can easily reach it on the fly (but of coarse I never do so since it is hazardous ) This also puts the iWay just under my line of sight which makes it easy to look at without looking too far from the road.

I made the shelf myself but one just like it is available on line from BMR Products.

The power source is the map light over the speedo. This will allow you to keep power to the iWay with the ignition off but no power to it when you turn the key to the locking position.

1" RAM ball mount and 4" arm

Music cable routed under fairing to odomin box and into cassette deck.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Iway 500C Mount

Thanks for the detailed pictures. I just bought new Iway 500c on Ebay today ($550 + $12 shipping), brand new with warranty. I think that's a great deal! What finally made me buy it is the quality of the display (you can see it on www.gpsinformation.net - they compared several units and Iway simply blows them away with legibility of it's screen in all weather conditions).

I went to BMR Products website and I am also considering Trivet mount - basically, it will allow for mounting it on top of radio (I can reuse the ram base with 1" ball from my Magellan mount on trivet). I will position it there as a test when I receive Iway to see if:
- gps is easily viewable
- doesn't obscure instruments from view
- is easily reachable for touchscreen - zooming and paning the map, etc.

I currently have my XM Roady mounted there and have no problem changing stations when riding. I can move Roady to right handlebar instead.

If that doesn't look good to me I will then probably use BMR shelf instead. If I do use trivet mount I will post some pictures of it here as well.

Dan.

p.s. AZSIDEWALKER, I have run into your posts on other websites, such as www.gpspassion.com. So, based in part on your postings, I have decided to buy Iway 500c.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Someone else (John Flowers maybe) removed the BMW roundel from in front of the radio display and put a Ram ball there. I think he mounted a camera, but it might be strong enough to hold up the GPS, especially if you reinforced it with big washers. Then you could always put the roundel back to cover the whole if you changed your mind, or later sold the bike without the GPS.

Just another option.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 8:59 pm

IWay Mounting

Works great. Trick is to drill out the plastic lug under the roundel and use a metal spacer so the srew securing the RAM mount can be tightened securely without crushing the plastic. Also use a star washer as shown to prevent rotation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	1330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	1331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	1332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	1333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	1334  

post #6 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 7:29 pm
was

Very nice, thanks for the pics. I had to return my first unit and am waiting for the replacement, but will go this direction for mounting when it comes.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg
Works great. Trick is to drill out the plastic lug under the roundel and use a metal spacer so the srew securing the RAM mount can be tightened securely without crushing the plastic. Also use a star washer as shown to prevent rotation.
That mounting looks great.

Is there any problem reaching or turning the ignition key? Looks like it might be a little tight or awkward reaching behind the GPS.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #8 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase
That mounting looks great.

Is there any problem reaching or turning the ignition key? Looks like it might be a little tight or awkward reaching behind the GPS.
No problem accessing the key. The only thing that is obscured is the radio display. Also... the handlebars do not contact the unit at full lock.
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:26 pm

I really like the way you mounted it. Can you tell me how you wired it?
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyivan
I really like the way you mounted it. Can you tell me how you wired it?

I ran the power wire down the left side and tapped into the wire supplying juice to the accessory plug just forward of the reverse knob. This way the unit is fused by the bike's circuitry.
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Garage
I plan on mounting my Iway this weekend. Do I have to take off both sides or just one to remove the radio panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I plan on mounting my Iway this weekend. Do I have to take off both sides or just one to remove the radio panel?
Alas both sides...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:05 pm

Garage
Curses! Foiled Again! So much for a Father's Day ride. Looks like both days this weekend will be shot .

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Garage
Finally installed the Iway and hardwired it directly to the battery. Taking the tupperware off was not as bad as I thought. I went nice and slow and just made sense after a while. Scary huh?

I used my dremel and cut out a circle for the Ram bolt. Used a star washer and a stainless steel nut. I then made the top of the circle a little oversize to allow for the wiring to squeeze out. Zipped tied the wire to the mounting arm and voilia!

While I had the plastic off, I also finally hardwired my Sirius to the battery. I tucked the antennae wire into the steering cover.

I know, I should install these toys into a fusebox. I plan on doing that after BMWMOA Rally next month.

All total, it took me 6 hours to strip and then dress the LT. This includes my 30 minute run to the hardware store for the washer and nut. Not too shabby if I may say so!

My only problem- I have 4 screws left over. I've saved them for the next time I strip off the plastic. Oh Well!

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in