Navigator III & Blue tooth to phone problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Navigator III & Blue tooth to phone problem

HI all - I'm new the LT with only having mine for about a month and half now and still trying to get everything functioning properly. I have no problem with getting my Blackberry and the GPS to hook up using the Blue tooth but when I go to place a call thru the GPS I get a messaage that it can not find my headset. I am using the wired headset that I purchased with the bike and com system all from BMW. Mine is an 06 if the year has any affect on this. Any help in solving this would be great.

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 7:29 pm
Rider Journeyman

I believe that the NAV III will not allow for voice (rider's voice) to get to the unit in order to function with a cell phone. My understanding is that it's a motorcycle safety configuration (different than the 2820).

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL
HI all - I'm new the LT with only having mine for about a month and half now and still trying to get everything functioning properly. I have no problem with getting my Blackberry and the GPS to hook up using the Blue tooth but when I go to place a call thru the GPS I get a messaage that it can not find my headset. I am using the wired headset that I purchased with the bike and com system all from BMW. Mine is an 06 if the year has any affect on this. Any help in solving this would be great.

Thanks
Kevin
I think your solution is to use a Motorola HF820 bluetooth speaker phone. Try doing a search for it and you will discover this is a much talked about subject. I am sorry for the short answer but I'm scrambling for time right now.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 6:03 pm
Rider Journeyman

The problem is that the comm system does not support audio input, just output, to the GPS.

Even if the comm system did support audio input on the GPS connection, the way that BMW has the cable configured and the BMW NAV III modified, there is no way to get the audio output from the GPS to the BMW cable. The audio input for the NAV III was moved from the Garmin standard 9pin lacation to the NAV GPS cradle.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input

Thanks, sounds like I have to look at getting a blue tooth headset or some such thing as well to make this work. I know a friend of mine has a Gold Wing and put the Garmin with Blue tooth on it and had to buy some form of adpoter to make it work with his wired headset as well. Guess I have to do some searching.

Thanks again
Kevin
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Post if you find a good solution. Many of us are having the same problem.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Bluetooth helmet

Another option is getting a bluetooth helmet. I looked at a bunch and ended up with the Dainese Airstream Course. I had to update the Nav III software to get it to pair properly, but everything's good now. My Nokia phone connected right up to the Nav III and taking and making calls to the helmet works just fine.

There's no problem making or taking calls while moving.

I haven't tried the helmet in intercom mode -- don't know anyone else with one. I'm looking around for a FRS system that can pair with the helmet -- FRS is so much nicer for bike to bike, more channels, more range, and also works for bike to car with cheap radios.

My only complaint is that the volume level on the helmet goes back to the default (lvl 4 out of 6) on each new connection. With earplugs in I need to turn it up to hear well. It's fine to turn it up for a phone call, but with the nav instructions each 1 or 2 second instruction is a new 'connection' and so there's effectively no way to change the volume for the voice nav. (Other than to turn it up to 100% of "headphone level" in the nav menus.) At highway speeds with headphones I can't hear the nav instructions at all -- sometimes I can tell that it said something, but that's about it.
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 10:28 pm

I've been down this road. Do yourself a favor, and hang it up. (PUN attempted ) A really slim blue tooth headset might fit under your bucket, but the wind noise would probably make it useless. I've even considered getting a non-blue tooth phone to woirk with my VOICE II system. Bottom line for me, talking on the phone while riding is just plain too risky. Just my .02. Your scoot, your life... Let your conscience be your guide.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in