Delamination of screen? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Delamination of screen?

Anyone having trouble with the GPS viewing screen delaminating on the 2005 BMW GPS unit (garmin) ? Please respond. Several people I have talked to are having the same trouble. Are there any tech bulletins or recalls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisman
Anyone having trouble with the GPS viewing screen delaminating on the 2005 BMW GPS unit (garmin) ? Please respond. Several people I have talked to are having the same trouble. Are there any tech bulletins or recalls?
Hey, Woody - howdy.

All I can tell ya is that lotsa folks have had great customer service from Garmin as a result of a phone call. Other avenues usually don't. I did a small search on the subject and got more hits than I've got time to read thru the threads, butt you might try that and see what the experience has been. Being that it has the BMW badge on your unit, there may be another method to pursue - at a dealership. Also, you might find any recall information listed on the Garmin website. Least I hope so. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:50 pm

Garmin (not BMW) will give you two years of warrantee on your Nav III,
provided you can prove ownership (purchase receipt required)
I had some issues with mine, they sent me a "complete" new unit.
call them direct.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Garmin screen

Call Garmin, be prepared to wait quite a while to get to talk to someone.

As the tech told me, that's not susposed to happen.

Sent mine to them, had it back in a week with the lastest software installed. All my waypoints where still there. (in the GPS, I wasn't suprised that the waypoints had not actually moved on the ground).

That last sentence was a (weak) attempt at humor.

Garmin tech support is great once you get to talk to a real person.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the good info and experiences. I appreciate your responses.

After contacting Garmin they refered to a "three year warenty agreement" on the BMW units. This would then be covered on the 2005 unit and Garmin will repair the unit. THANKS Again

Last edited by gisman; Aug 1st, 2007 at 1:16 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:07 am

Hi, I just got back from three weeks in Nova Scotia and my Nav II (2610) screen delamed about a week into the trip. First some small bubbles about the size of a pin head appeared and aprox. two days later I walked out to the Lt in the morning and the entire top layer was bubbled and cracked. The screen surface underneath is VERY sensitive and scratches easily. I had previously done some goggling on the problem and it appeared to happen with some regularity. I called Garmin and the tech was GREAT, the GPS is covered under the BMW 3 year warranty. Thanks for the warranty. Frankly, I have had more warranty work on my 05 Lt, than all the other Japanese and Ducatis I have owned in the last 34 years combined. Anyway, my GPS is currently at Garmin. The tech said if my unit could not be repaired in a "reasonable amount of time" it would be replaced with a "REFURBISHED" unit.

On a side note, Nova Scotia is great. Prince Edward Island is a tourist trap (IMO), similar to door county in Wisconsin. There is a $15.00 fee to access the beaches. All the Canadian border crossing guards were friendly and helpful (my wife is British resident alien), ALL their US counter parts where RUDE and INDIGNENT ASSES! The US tool booths where the ONLY places we got ripped off (20%) on currency exchange also. I needed to say that. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in