Bluetooth transmitter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Bluetooth transmitter

I'm looking to integrate my Garmin 2720 via Bluetooth transmitter,out of the mono jack, to the Bluetooth headset Scala Rider Teamset. Has anyone found a Bluetooth transmitter than can function as the interface between the Garmin and the Teamset?

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 7:37 pm

You may want to look at the Cardo Scala BTA II. It's a bluetooth adaptor marketed to install on non-bluetooth phones. I bought one to test for just this idea as I have been trying to decide what GPS to buy (one with Bluetooth or one without). I have the Scala Rider (non-team set) and it links fine with it as I tested it plugging into my home cordless (BTA II) and connected my helmet to it and then called my sister. She said I sounded fine and of course I could hear her fine.

The issue is that if it's hooked to the Rider, then the rider can't be hooked to my phone. I want both the phone and GPS, so I am leaning toward buying the GPS with Bluetooth that connects to both phone and headset giving you both signals to your headset.

If your looking to buy one, I would probably give you a good deal on this one as I don't think I'll end up using it now.

Hope this helps some.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

No phone for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
You may want to look at the Cardo Scala BTA II. It's a bluetooth adaptor marketed to install on non-bluetooth phones. I bought one to test for just this idea as I have been trying to decide what GPS to buy (one with Bluetooth or one without). I have the Scala Rider (non-team set) and it links fine with it as I tested it plugging into my home cordless (BTA II) and connected my helmet to it and then called my sister. She said I sounded fine and of course I could hear her fine.

The issue is that if it's hooked to the Rider, then the rider can't be hooked to my phone. I want both the phone and GPS, so I am leaning toward buying the GPS with Bluetooth that connects to both phone and headset giving you both signals to your headset.

If your looking to buy one, I would probably give you a good deal on this one as I don't think I'll end up using it now.

Hope this helps some.

Randy
Hi Randy,

I'm not a phone person. Avoid them like the plague even though I've developed cell technologies for Bell Labs, it's like the cobbler that doesn't make shoes for the kids. If you think the interface would work for me I'd be very happy to try it out and reimburse you for the Cardo Scala BTA II. Do you see it connecting to the Garmin 2720 mono output to transmit to the headset?
Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

How does it work for you?

Does anyone have their GPS hooked to a Bluetooth transmitter that is received by a Bluetooth capable headset?
What type of transmitter is it?
Does the transmitter cause an interrupt to the headphones alternate functioning?
Am I looking into an undoable configuration? All I want to do is hear the GPS and have an intercom to the pillion.
Thanks for any advice,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'll report back on a solution

Randy is going to sent out the Scala BTA II to me to try out. Really kewl of him. Radio Shack said it should work and mp4nation said this should work:
http://www.mp4nation.com/products/index.php?PID=a378
It's a lot like the BTA II, don't ya think?
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 2:07 pm

All,

There are 2 different situations running along in this thread. 1 situation is adding a BTA (Blue Tooth Adapter..... read radio) to a non-blue tooth phone (that works) and 2 (the unknown one) is adding a BLA to an existing non-blue tooth intercom.

I don't know whether a Cardo II will operate in daisy-chain or hub and spoke.................ie master/ master or master/ slave. Ad-Hoc BLA will now handle up to 3 wireless inputs ( those algorithms have only been agreed upon lately). But at any rate the helmet pin-outs on the solder side of the various intercoms are available elsewhere on this site. Of interest would be the mic pin, either of the speaker pins ie L or R and a common ground. Doing it this way lets the intercom keep doing its thing making sidetone, making dual monophonic out of monophonic sound and taming various impedance imbalances, varying vox functions and allowing various inputs like FRS, CB, stereo music, taming static and wind induced impulses and not lastly enabling the small but necessary db(s) of amplification............. wheeuuw!

Most riders have an intercom without BlueTooth so it will be helpful to all if the first one who finds that 2 Cardos will hand-shake each other ( or another vendor) and wires one of them to an intercom that works and wirelessly connects to either a BlueTooth single earpiece or better both L and R.................... (TELL US about it)!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hello Watson!

This evening I was able to get audio from a Garmin 2720, out the 2.5mm female connector to a CARDO BTA II Bluetooth adapter (THANKS Randy! (surfran)) which established a pairing connection to a CARDO scala-rider TeamSet drivers unit and produced sound out of the right and left speakers that were fit into a Shoei Multitech helmet.a I did not test the mic.
Now I need to check the sound volume. What I can tell, the quality is great, but I haven't gotten the volume to what I think it needs to be at speed.
Just an FYI,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Last edited by jers99lt; Jul 26th, 2007 at 9:01 pm. Reason: Add kudos to Randy (surfran)
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
This evening I was able to get audio from a Garmin 2720, out the 2.5mm female connector to a CARDO BTA II Bluetooth adapter (THANKS Randy! (surfran)) which established a pairing connection to a CARDO scala-rider TeamSet drivers unit and produced sound out of the right and left speakers that were fit into a Shoei Multitech helmet.a I did not test the mic.
Now I need to check the sound volume. What I can tell, the quality is great, but I haven't gotten the volume to what I think it needs to be at speed.
Just an FYI,
Jer
My scoot doesn't have a comm system, so I can't comment on functionality with Cardo products. I just had a 600 mile weekend using the above defined Bluetooth interface from GPS to headset. The CARDO Scala-rider TeamSet will increase volume depending on speed and was heard quite adequately by me the entire time. I was also blasting the tunes for a lot of the ride (mostly twisties and sweepers through Southwestern WI) .
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Not to hi-jack the thread............ but, if anybody has a Cardo BTA II and would connect it to the rider's i/o dongle from their intercom and wirelessly connect to a BT helmet ex. Cardo Scala BT................. that should put what you have hooked by wire into the intercom, then by wireless into your BT helmet. Some electronic knowledge necessary on this endeavor but I know you fellows are up to the challenge! Probably only 3 connections on the dongle needed: mic, speaker and ground. What ever you have coming thru the intercom when previously hardwired should do so via the Cardo BTA II. I don't have any Cardo product. But if it simply connects to a phone via a common 3 conductor male 3.5 or 2.5 mm plug it should be little problem to connect to a proper male pinned plug to get the i/o into and from the intercom.................. this solves the (I want gps, music and phone wirelessly into my helmet etc).

What say you experimenters, (perfect for any ham or commercial radio guy)?!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

Last edited by Tourdog; Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:44 pm.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:40 am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in