Aux. power for GPS and Sat. radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Aux. power for GPS and Sat. radio

I just bought a RCU shelf and want to move my GPS and Sat. radio to it. Did I undestand correctly that I Can tap into the map light or are people just running the power cables through there to the battery? Thanks in advance.

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Garage
If you're installing the shelf, then yes tap off the maplight.
That said, I have my Sirius mounted on my handlebar and the GPS just above the radio control buttons on the dash. I ran all of my power directly to the battery.

The BEST way to get power to these units is to route the wiring to a seperate fuse box and realy setup (Blue Sea or Centech are the preferred blocks) You can pull power for this box from the driver seat heater. This gives you a power source that is powered up when the key is turned to the on postion. When I get back from the BMWMOA rally, I'm going to install this set up.

Use the seach feature for FUSE BOX and you'll come up with a number of great posts. Here is one that I plan on referring to when I do my install:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11657

Good Luck!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Rob I appreciate the answer.

David

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

One more question on the map light which wire is the power? Brown or the purple one? Thanks again.

David

post #5 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Brown wires are always a ground wire on the BMW's.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Mike

David

post #7 of 8 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

David..
Check out my pics in the Gallery... I mounted my GPS to the front of the RCU shelf.. workie great.

Also, ran separate power to the bow using fused relay and leads... I use the Seat "power" side of the wiring to activate the relay.. it is "on" with the "ignition", ON position. It switches "off" during engine cranking so there are no power "spikes"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaz
I just bought a RCU shelf and want to move my GPS and Sat. radio to it. Did I undestand correctly that I Can tap into the map light or are people just running the power cables through there to the battery? Thanks in advance.

David,
Since you bought the shelf from me, I'll step in to give you some directions. The long wires that I left hanging from the power outlets go directly to either the battery or to a fuse box (like I have). The smaller wires will need to be grounded. You can either tie them to a brown wire close by or get a good body ground.

I had created a small notch on either side of the maplight to guide the wires through.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in