Lots of $ for Zumo with XM Radio! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Angry Lots of $ for Zumo with XM Radio!

Did I miss something or what.

I just spent almost $700 on a Garmin 550 with MP3, Bluetooth, XM, etc.

Now Garmin wants another $270 for a "smart" GXM 30 antenna so I can pickup the XM signal.

I can understand spending money for an antenna, but not $270!

What's going on here?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:09 pm

Wink

Friend of mine voiced his same displeasure about the XM on the 550. I thought I would go one better and order the 450 which does not have XM or BT. Much to my dismay it also doesn't come with the car adaptor. No where did I read this on any sites concerning the 450. Being currently bikeless this was a surprise to say the least. Therefore my "cheap" Zumo just cost me another $100 for the car adaptor and 12V cord...sigh...

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

Last edited by Beemerider; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 2:05 am.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:38 pm

Garmin/XM radio

Feeling the sting myself on this issue. Bot a Garmin 2820 recently because it had all the extra stuff but I have since come to prefer Sirius. Long story but I had XM first because of baseball package but recently bought a car that included Sirius free for a year. Have both but am leanint to Serius. The rubber will meet the road when I am required to pay for both.

This GPS with XM is a farce because you need the $200+ antenna which is really the receiver. I Fuxxed up, I trusted them to paraphrase a line from Animal House.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEdgar
Did I miss something or what.

I just spent almost $700 on a Garmin 550 with MP3, Bluetooth, XM, etc.

Now Garmin wants another $270 for a "smart" GXM 30 antenna so I can pickup the XM signal.

I can understand spending money for an antenna, but not $270!

What's going on here?

Thanks.
Yeah, seems to surprise many. But the packaging is nice as is the functionality of the complete set-up. Plus you get some weather coverage (again a small fee.) If it helps swallow it a little, you can routinely find the GXM-30 them for under 200USD and they show up on the resale market as well.

So far in all these GPS/Satrad implementations the navigators are merely control heads for the satellite receiver that resides in the GXM-30 puck. The GXM-30 is sort of largish for moto or car deployment and the magnet is weak compared to its weight so rarely does that work out without a really flat surface. It's nice to find a place to ditch them under something such as inside a tank bag or inside a piece of plastic. But it does come with a mounting plate and it can be attached by strap, hook-and-loop fastener, etc. A lot of folks just use an extension bracket off the nav mount.

I really enjoy mine with a SP2820 control head. I put an extension cable from the nav to the rear rack. Normally I just lash it to the top rack with Velcro straps, plug in the cable underneath the seat, and voila, music. Then I can easily remove it for use my cage's 'control head', the SP7500. I just wish it also worked with my Nuvi 360, but that's another tale.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

Greetings

Here in Australia, the Zumo retails for around $1500.00. Yeah, that's right. You won't see too many of them here. I'll shortly be installing a Garmin Nuvi 660. They sell here for $888.00. Much more realistic! I avoid the rain like the plaque as I've out grown that "riding in the rain" thing as a kid years ago. If I do get caught out, I simply slip the Garmin into my pockets for safety.
Great price, great unit. The best of both worlds.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

note one: Sirius and XM are merging, so you'll get the best of both worlds

note two: if you go to garmin's website and start drooling over the weather satellite functions and expect to be able to see all of the same stuff on your zumo, you're gonna' be VERY disappointed once you shell out the subscription price and learn that you can't get any of those neat functions like lightning strikes or multi level satellite views, only a half-assed satellite--definitely not the "you can tell if you're riding into a big storm or a little one, and can see if you're going to be in danger" that I thought it would be"

note three: don't plan on using the xm radio with the zumo off the bike...you have to have external power running the puck, the bastards.

Personally, if you really want xm radio, go to the website for xm radio, they have a deal right now that if you sign up for a year of service, you get a free xm roady player...it comes with a waterproof antenna, and the player itself will hide nicely in the oddments box between the stingray and the seat, and you can buy adapters for using it in the car or plugging it into a home stereo or boom box for less than $40 each (or less on eBay). A lot less than the gxm30 from garmin which, by the way, is a big theft target.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 6:56 pm

Zumo and XM

I just installed my zumo on the LT today. Will be awhile before it can be tied into the factory speakers but that is a whole different story. Used the setup in the truck yesturday and loved it. The GM30 is a little on the large side and I am still trying to decide where I am going to locate it on the LT. It is true that the price is steep but then again I am installing it on an LT which is no walk in the park when it comes to the $ that is shelled out on it. I guess you have to pay to play.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Thanks

Hi,

I am glad I found this thread, I was getting ready to plunk down some change for the 550.

EB
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 2:01 am

Re: Zumo and XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferggie
I just installed my zumo on the LT today. Will be awhile before it can be tied into the factory speakers but that is a whole different story. Used the setup in the truck yesturday and loved it. The GM30 is a little on the large side and I am still trying to decide where I am going to locate it on the LT. It is true that the price is steep but then again I am installing it on an LT which is no walk in the park when it comes to the $ that is shelled out on it. I guess you have to pay to play.
i found this mount that works with the ram mount that is used with the garmin... works great for me...costs $5.50

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/orderbysku.asp
sku = RAM-XM30BRK
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 5:59 am

Re: Lots of $ for Zumo with XM Radio!

Has anybody used 86th Photo and Video for the Zumo. Years ago I bought cameras and TV's from them. Looking yesterday they had the best price on the Zumo. $439.00 new and in the box.

I liked the sight because I could pull up two screens and compare specs side by side on the different Garmins.

http://www.86photovideo.com/products...108&show=specs

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Before you consider using 86th Street Photo, check their reviews. They are essentially scam artists. All of these places use a variant of the same process: you place an order on-line and you recieve an e-mail saying they need yo to call them to confirm the order. At that point you'll be asked if you want a U.S warranty or U.S. maps or something that otherwise would be a normal part of the purchase. IF you say yes, you'll find the price to go up well above what you thought you were going to pay. If you say no, you'll get an e-mail telling you it's back-ordered and you'll not hear from them again. They DO NOT sell product for the prices they advertise.

Google them and read the horror stories before you deal with them.

I found www.getfeetwet.com had the best pricing on a packaged Zumo + GXM-30. you might try them
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 5:08 pm

BMYRR,

You are 100% correct. I hadn't ordered anything from them in years, so after you response, I went to: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...et_Photo_Video

What a mouse house. There rating was .20 on a scale of 1.00 to 10.00.

Isn't there a consumer fraud department in NY to look at crooks like this?

Thanks again for the update.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 5:18 pm

You must have missed the thread on here about Best Buy selling them for $439?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Best Buy was closing them out at $499 and not on the web. You had to find a store that was selling them. The nearest to me was 150 miles away and they had only one left. I bought mine from PC Nation for $648.00 delivered no tax in 2 days.
Great unit.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in