ZUMO 550, XM Antenna - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 6:43 am Thread Starter

ZUMO 550, XM Antenna

I am getting ready ti install my Zumo and was wandering if anyone had any good sugestions as to where they mounted the XM Antenna. I want to be able to move it to my truck as well as use it on the LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:44 am

I have a BMR Co-Pilot shelf on my bike. The Zumo mount sits in the center, and there was room on the left side of the shelf for the antenna. I took the flat steel plate (that is supposed to come with the antenna but I had to call the supplier to get it) and screwed it to the shelf. That way I can easily disconnect the XM antenna and move it to the car if I want to.

The only drawback is that I have the extra cable tied up on the shelf.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Will be using BMW mount

I plan on using the BMW NAV mount on the stingray so I wont have the BMR shelf to mount it on.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

what if you popped the seat up, ran the cable of the xm puck antennafrom the stingray down to where the hinge is on the front of the seat, tucket it under that (the seat material there is soft enough that it wouldn't crimp the cabling), route it backwards, and behind you, and get some of that velcro extra-duty adhesive (the stuff that is real firm plastic, hide a strip on the rack of your top case, and a patch on the bottom of the puck.

For what it's worth, my XM puck actually worked while INSIDE a tank bag, so (after verifying it works) you could get a bmw tank bag made for LT's with the nav system on the stingray and just put it in there...(do double check that it works)

I'm guessing something like this would work on the windshield too, just make sure that you have clearance before lowering it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-M...QQcmdZViewItem

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 3:08 pm

My antenna came with an extension cable. If you received one it might be possible to route the extension cable through the bodywork. That would make it easier to mount the antenna virtually anywhere, while retaining the ability to move it to another vehicle.

I have read several posts about mounting the antenna inside the bodywork of a motorcycle, but I've never tried it.

If by chance you did not get an extension cable, send me a PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in