BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GPS mount, easy low cost

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tourdog 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a way to solve the dilemma of blocking the lower instrument panel and or the radio dial. The later mounts 05=> mount to the forward part of the radio sting-ray but cost alot plus block the idiot lights on the panel for me. I am 6' tall and also didn't like the far forward 04 and earlier mount thru the map light plus they are expensive and virtually non-existent now.

The pictures tell the story and none of the dimensions are critical except the 4 machine screws "amps" pattern to fit the Garmin cradle to the aluminum bracket. I used scrap aluminum and used heat for the bends but 3000 and common household aluminum can be bent cold successfully (1 short crack before heat).

You can mount the bracket thru the medallion position after popping out the exquisite BMW medallion and/ or use the mount as I did so as to remove the whole mount easily if necessary.

The AMPS mounting cradle that comes with the Garmin works with the whole 26xx, 27xx, 28xx series and has a Torx like security screwdriver (but, w/ a hollow center). So I have provided another level of security by making a final bend of 90 degrees and extending the metal bar over the GPS. Doing that allows for drilling a hole thru the bar and placing a second piece of the same metal below which blocks someone from unlocking the Garmin. That metal rectangle has an angled drill hole thru both pieces that a padlock can be inserted. This affectively locks up the Garmin to the DIY mount. You can see this in the first picture. A thief might try to take off the aircraft loc nuts but the machine screws will simply spin free. A mount like this has to have an anti-thievery cable to/ around the nearest handle bar to thwart an easy theft when parked.

A mount like this can be used for virtually any GPS and is quick to build and costs argubly less than 5 dollars. And, it can be removed easily but still provides a rock steady mount. The bar over the top of the GPS also allows a diy shade to slide on for bright sunlight viewing ease. And, no permanent marks left on the stingray upon removal.
You get another GPS? Undo the "AMPs" mount and drill the pattern for the new one. :D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Rick, It would seem with all the changes they have made to this site it would at least query back "incompatible file size"!!!

Well, I have reduced and cropped but still no go.................

And, it used to be so easy. I am frustrated!

They gotta be something less that 1 MB so it seems :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.