GPS help 2000 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

GPS help 2000 K1200LT

i just bought a K1200LT(2000) and love it. It's the best bike I've ever had. I'd like to add GPS to it-my question is; is there a factory one to add, or is the best route an after market model? any help is welcomed.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

BMW Navigator I was available for the 2002 K1200LT Elite series. It replaces and mounts where the map light is. This was standard with the Elite model. You can duplicate this with a 26xx, 27xx, 28xx Garmin GPS. Just need to find the mounting bracket. Post a WTB ad in Classifieds looking for the NAV I mounting bracket.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

There are other options like a shelf and then the GPS mounted to the shelf. Or handlebar mounted GPS, or GPS over the Radio console.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dave, you'll find a variety of opinions on which GPS, and how to mount...check out the sub-forum on GPS further down the list...

ask yourself if you'll use the gps unit in your car as well, whether you will want/need bluetooth capability (for a headset connection to answer/make telephone calls--while on the side of the road of course because NONE of us would ever do that while moving...), whether you want/need to upgrade and add xm radio and traffic warnings and weather, and whether a gps that has "text to speech" capability is important to you (those are systems that will speak "in 400 feet, turn left on Main Street" instead of just "In 400 feet turn right").

All of those factors will affect the price range of your choice.

As far as "factory vs. aftermarket" the BMW factory gps systems are tweaked Garmin units. They require special docking cradles, installation, wiring, and the units themselves aren't significantly different than the garmin consumer units, except that they are about 40% more expensive.

Lots of opinions on this forum, you should probably find a good retailer and check out for yourself. I'd recommend you stick with one designed for, or at least manufacturer-designated as motorcycle-friendly (i.e. carrying water-resistance certification)

Lowrance is great, tom-tom rider is a good one (and has downloadable celebrity voices), the Garmin Zumo has a battery backup and is small and lightweight and recently won a comparo in Motorcyclist or cycle world magazine.

If you could care less about satellite radio and bluetooth, and will only be looking at the screen, not listening to verbal instructions (or at a minimum are ok with "turn left in one mile" as opposed to having the thing state the actual street name) then you can go with say a Zumo 450 and save about 300 bucks.

Lowrance's iWay can be gotten pretty cheap if you get the smaller capacity one (the higher memory model is for those who will be using it as an MP3 player as well--if you won't, it's GPS side is the same as the bigger capacity, much more expensive big brother)...you save 250 bucks

Personally, I like the mounting option of throwing a BMR co-pilot shelf on the dash and putting the gps on there, so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road completely. Others like the mounting option that puts it just above the radio controls, some others like it attached to the handlebars. It's up to you and your preference.

Best thing might be to look at the sub-forum for your geographic area, see when the next gathering is, and look at what others have, ask them "if you had it to do over again, would you buy the same thing? Why or why not?" and go from there.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Think about what you really want before you buy. Do you want an IPod, XM radio, radar detector, 2way radio, cell phone. In other words do you want to max out the farkles or just ride it. The Garmin Zumo 550 gives you XM radio, bluetooth to your cell phone and a built in MP3 player, but it's about $680. The Garmin 2720 gives you a talking GPS and a plug to plug into a headset for about $375. Once you start doing miles, you'll want more music, bike to bike communications if you ride with others or rider to passenger if you carry living cargo. It's a never ending learning experience, an endless drain on your wallet, but the best ride out there!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:55 pm

Dave,
Since you asked about 'factory vs. aftermarket' you might want to know, that the BMW Navigator series GPS are essentially re-branded Garmin products with a hefty markup.IMHO the only advantage of buying a BMW factory GPS with a NEW bike is that the GPS is also covered by the standard 3 yr BMW warranty. If you're looking for a GPS for a used BMW bike then I think you're best bet is an aftermarket one.
Again IMHO, any Garmin model is a safe bet as they enjoy wide support both by Garmin and third party suppliers when it comes to mounts, antenna, shades, accessories, etc.
Once again IMHO mounting a GPS might be the lesser of your worries due to the availability of all sorts of options already pointed out by others (shelfs, RAM mounts, brackets, etc). I would also think about the audio portion of a GPS unit, and how to run it to a headset, or to the factory speakers of the K1200LT to take full advantage of turn-by-turn voice instructions, etc.
Pete pointed out the availability of Bluetooth with many of the newer models. You may also want to check out the screen size of your prospective GPS unit: some riders complained that the 'older' Garmin 26xx, 27xx and 28xx series GPS screen are 'small'. These all have a 3.3x1.7 inch screen. Newer Nuvi models have larger screens (for more $$$), so you'll have to do some serious shopping around.
Lastly about factory vs. aftermarket: the BMW Navigator II series was essentially a Garmin 26xx device, and the BMW Navigator III is essentially a Garmin 28xx series unit. There are only two differences between the Garmin and the BMW branded units (as far as I can tell): the BMW unit comes with a unique cradle with extra push buttons for convenience, and the BMW unit also allows one to load the BMW dealer database onto the unit. The premium for these features is around $500,- (Navigator III vs. the comparable Garmin unit). So you decide...

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_helmet
------------------- and the BMW unit also allows one to load the BMW dealer database onto the unit. -----------------..
You can get the dealer database to download into any Garmin, and others, here:
http://gmccurdy1.home.att.net/Dealers/Dealers.zip

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in