Direct Wiring a ZUMO? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:23 am Thread Starter

Direct Wiring a ZUMO?

I purchased the ZUMO 550 and now I am looking to wire it on the bike. Versus wiring to the dash lamp light can I go directly to the battery terminal with the red and back wires since there is an inline fuse?
Probably a dumb question but this is new to me.
Dewman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:46 am

Not a dumb question. There should be no problem wiring it directly to the battery since it has the inline fuse. The only thing is that the zumo will always be on even with the bike ignition turned off. This is not a bad thing as long as you remember to 1. remove the unit when leaving the bike or 2. turn off the unit when you turn off the bike to avoid draining the bike's battery.

I ultimatly wired mine up to a switched power source so the Zumo comes on and goes off with the ignition. It has a cool feature that detects if 12VDC is lost and asks if you would like to continue on battery power or turn the unit off . If you do not select anything the Zumo will turn off automatically after 25 secs.

Hope this helps

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:12 am

After having a couple of fellow run their batteries down by leaving auxillary lights on, I will not hook a GPS to a non-switched source. You never know when you're going to walk away from the bike for longer than you planned. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:11 am Thread Starter

So as long as I turn off the ZUMO when the bike is turned off it really won't still be drawing off the bikes battery as long as the battery on the Zumo is maintaining a full charge; correct? Thus should not drain the bikes battery?
Dewman
post #5 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:24 am

Dewman,

I "think" that as long as the Zumo is off that it will not draw from your battery, but you may want to double check that by contacting Garmin.

You may want to read this thread and this thread to see the advantages/disadvantages to connecting directly to the battery.

For piece of mind, I connected mine to a switched power source under the seat.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

Last edited by Ekim; May 23rd, 2007 at 8:31 am.
post #6 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:37 am

My gut feeling tells me there should not be any power drain with it turned off, but I just can't say for sure.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:07 am

While the Zumo may not be physically powered on, the cradle will still have power running to it and the contacts at the base will be live. If you get water across the contacts with the Zumo removed or when inserting the Zumo if you line up the base wrong, you may end up damaging the base or the Zumo. In my mind, it is not worth it. Hook the power up to a switched source.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:20 pm

Do it Properly

Rather than screw around, do it properly. Basically, get a fuse distribution system and have it powered off a relay that is turned on by a switched circuit (eg light).
post #9 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Re: Direct Wiring a ZUMO?

I am in the same situation. On my (new to me) 2000 1200LT I have installed a BMR Co-Pilot shelf and adjustable bracket to hold my BMW Motorrad Zumo 550, with a Touratech locking device for my peace of mind (God, am I a name-dropper or what?). Now I need an elegant way to power the Zumo on a switched circuit. I would prefer to not spend half a day removing tupperware but I will do what is necessary to do it right. Please give me your suggestions. I read about the under-seat option but would really appreciate someone pointing me to the best thread or telling me what they did.

Thank you,

Bob

"Duty is ours, consequences are God's" - Stonewall Jackson

"Government is supposed to protect us from each other, not from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Pop out the map light at the top of the dash. Many a GPS has been powered there. And it is right under your BMR shelf. If you file a half round hole in the opening the cable will fit in nicely.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Thank you, sir!

Now to prove my ignorance:
1. Will I connect the GPS to the maplight and have the connection be inside the maplight housing?
2. If so, will I still have the maplight (I don't think I would ever need it if I have a flashlight). 3. And if I hide the connection inside the space and still have the light, will I also still have the switch and need to turn it on (and, therefore, the light) to power the GPS?

Part of me thinks I could figure this out for myself once I got in there, but at this stage I would rather ask the stupid questions and learn.

Thanks again,

Bob

"Government is supposed to protect us from each other, not from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan
post #12 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 7:51 pm

I have a BMR Co-pilot with a locking Touratech mount. My is powered off of a Centech AP2 Fuse panel wiht a relay , also. Valentine 1, and Aux. LED lights and frony socket. do yourselef a favor and install the an aux fuse panel.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAviator
Thank you, sir!

Now to prove my ignorance:
1. Will I connect the GPS to the maplight and have the connection be inside the maplight housing?
2. If so, will I still have the maplight (I don't think I would ever need it if I have a flashlight). 3. And if I hide the connection inside the space and still have the light, will I also still have the switch and need to turn it on (and, therefore, the light) to power the GPS?

Part of me thinks I could figure this out for myself once I got in there, but at this stage I would rather ask the stupid questions and learn.

Thanks again,

Bob
Once you figure out how to get it out you will see all. There is a small cutout on the left side and a small screw driver is your friend here. Push back the hidden tab towards the light and she will pop out. Then just tap into the brown (ground) and violet/black wire (+). Then file an opening for the cable on the side of the opening and pop the light back in. This is switched power so when the key is off the GPS is off. the excess cable can be neatly stowed behind the light.

If you intend to install many other accessories then follow the recommendation for a good fuse panel addition as it makes it much nicer for the installs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 11:43 pm
cws

Garage

Some great instructions for wiring to maplight in this thread :

The map light has three male .250" connectors.
Only two of the male connectors on the map light are used.
The map light switch is a three postion off-off-on switch
The map light is only powered when the key is in the accessory or on postion.

Go to your local auto parts store and buy along with a crimp tool if you need it:

A few .250" insulated crimp-on male connectors for say -16 gauge wire. usually the red crimp on connectors are for smaller gauge wire.

A few Female .250 insulated crimp-on connectors for say -16 guage wire.

Some 16 gauge automotive hook-up wire in red

Some 16 guage automotive wire in some other color (black-conventional ground or brown -bmw's color for ground)

Mark the map light with which terminal you remove the purple striped wire (12v+) and which terminal you remove the brown solid wire (12v- or ground).

Strip 2 pieces of -16 red gauge wire approx 4" long on both ends.

Insert one both pieces of wire in to one Male crimp-on connector and crimp, check that the crimp holds.

On the other two ends crimp on each wire a Female crimp on connector.

You now have your 12V+ Y connector.

Do the same for your ground wire Y connector.

Take the Existing BMW wire that supplied the
maplight. Insert the Male connector of your new red Y connector into the exisiting Positive 12v+.

Do the same with your new ground Y connector.

Take the exsiting garmin red wire and crimp-on a male connector.

Do the same with the Garmin Black (ground) connector.

Now you can connect your garmin 12V+ to one of the red females on your Y connector

Connect the garmin black 12V- to one of the ground (black or brown as the case may be) to the female of your new y connector.

You now take the last remaining female y 12v+ connector and attach it the male you marked as the purple striped on your exsiting map light.

Do the same for the ground 12v-on your
maplight.

Your done. It actually take less time to make the Y connectors and attach them than it does to read this instruction.

Hope this helps.

Confirm that your
maplight works ad you have power with key in accessory or on position. You can also use a voltmeter to check your wiring, and that you have not blown a fuse.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 17 Old May 12th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Thank you, John and Chris!! I very much appreciate the help!

Bob

post #16 of 17 Old May 13th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Well, thanks to John and Chris -- and this great forum -- I believe I successfully wired the Zumo to the maplight (and everything is very neat with the excess wire hidden in the dash behind the maplight). I wanted to prove to myself that the unit was getting the bike's power through the connection I made but when I toggled through the Zumo menus I could not find any proof of being on LT power (the Zumo battery was fully charged before I started with the vertical power indicator bars full and green), so I will try an experiment on my next ride and switch off the bike's battery power at the maplight until the vertical green power status bars diminish and then turn on the power and see if they build.

Again, thank you all.

Bob

Last edited by OldAviator; May 13th, 2012 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Poor sentence structure
post #17 of 17 Old May 13th, 2012, 9:04 pm
cws

Garage

what comes around, goes around....

Just don't let a dealer decide to change out the wiring to a "more suitable" power source, without asking... as I had happen to me. Idiots decided it wasn't safe (after being powered that way for several years) since its the "thinnest wire on the bike", so they re-routed to the always-live front powerlet... and killed the battery in the process.
Cost them another battery and another day in the shop to re-route it again back to the switched rear powerlet. As I said... Idiots.... won't touch the bike again.

Enjoy your newly powered GPS!
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in