2820 Bluetooth Functionality Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 1st, 2007, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

2820 Bluetooth Functionality Question

Does the Bluetooth functionality of the 2820 just act as a bluetooth headset with your phone or will it connect to a bluetooth headset and provide the voice commands to the bluetooth headset?

I have a Carlo Scala Rider Bluetooth headset that I have for my cell phone and am thinking of a GPS. Wasn't thinking as expensive as the 2820, but if the bluetooth commands would be transmitted to my Scala rider then it might be worth extra cost to have that feature.

Anyone know? I wasn't able to find it in my search.

Thanks,

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 1st, 2007, 7:58 pm

Garmin 2820 Bluetooth

Yes, I believe that would work. I've got the 2820 and it interfaces with a Nextel cell phone and a Plantronics headset. You can have your phonebook on the 2820, dial manually or by voice. I've used it in my car that way. On my LT it only interfaces to the phone and then I have a wired headset thru my Autocom.
post #3 of 6 Old May 1st, 2007, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Bob,

Are you saying it won't interface to a Bluetooth headset for the LT or just that you chose to interface through your Autocomm? I want to interface on the LT through my Bluetooth headset. In the car I don't need to as I can just listen to the intructions. On the LT it's kinda hard with wind noise etc.

Thanks,

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660

post #4 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2007, 2:13 am

Hi Randy,

i have the 2820 on my 1200 and an autocom intercom. The autocom has a bluetooth dongle to connect to other items as well as by hardwiring to the bike stereo.

The 2820 is connected to the intercom by the bluetooth so that i get all of the directions and warnings sent through to the helmet. My phone is also connected to the 2820 by bluetooth allowing me to make and take calls in the helmet. This can be done by either the on screen dialling number by number, on screen using the phonebook (it is downloaded to the gps everytime you start the bike automatically) or by using voive dialling (if your phone supports this feature) as I do. It also allows me to see who is calling on the gps display and let me decide if i want to answer or not.

As an extra on the display of the 2820 I also get a signal strength indicator for my phones reception as you do on the phones display and it also shows me the state of the phones battery as well. Again the same bar display as is shown on my phones screen.

Hope that helps answer some of your question if not feel free to pm me and i can try to help you out

Mike
post #5 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2007, 5:47 am Thread Starter

Mike,

It sounds like it will do what I want so thanks for your help in clarifying.

As for these other features regarding the phone book, battery and signal displays. Are they specific to a certain set of phones? I have two phones that I use, Palm Treo 650 (work) or Sony Erricson W600I. Not sure if those features would be available.

Currently I cannot voice dial the Palm unless I buy another software solution to load on it. As for the 600I you record your voice and then it's supposed to recognize it to dial. I have not have much luck with this on my normal Bluetooth so figure it wouldn't be much better on the bike.

Thanks again,

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #6 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2007, 3:23 pm

The Phone book I believe will work with any "recent" phone. If you have bluetooth then it will probably get the phonebook for you.As to the battery and signal status I am not sure. I have only connected my phone to it which is a samsung but assume that again most modern phones will work this feature also.

As to the voice dial as always it will depend on two things, Quality of software and quality of phone microphone/recording background conditions. All I can say is that the quality on my autocom is excellent (check their website for the video clip examples and believe me they are accurate and not re-edited in the post). And that the voice software on the phone works for me.

Good luck and let us all know how it works out with whatever you choose.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in