Garmin 2730 GPS Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Garmin 2730 GPS Installation

Iíve recently purchased the Garmin 2730 GPS (2720 but with mp3 & XM radio built in) with the intention of mounting it on my 02 K12LT. To mount the GPS and XM Antenna I purchased the LT compatible BMR Co-Pilot shelf and satellite antenna, antenna mount as well as the Garmin Motorcycle Power/Audio cable to hard wire the unit. My intention is to run the Garmin connector and XM antenna cable out through the map light above the instrument panel. This cable is split near the end between the GPS connector and what Iím assuming to be an audio plug which Iím planning on running back via an audio extension to the Com box under the Sting Ray. Before I start stripping the Tupperware I was hoping someone might have been there done this and could offer some installation tips or pitfall avoidances. I would also like to keep the unit portable between the family transportation; any advice on a compatible Co-Pilot Shelf mount would be appreciated. Iíve thought of using the Garmin OEM locking base secured to the shelf through the four holes in the base, but being it is plastic, I question its durability. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 1:59 pm

I started with a BMR shelf with the Garmin StreetPilot cradle (plastic). The cradle attaches to the shelf with a BMR's flat metal slotted bracket. The power/audio cable was wired to the map light. That's a pretty typical installation; the alternative is to go with the Touratech mount, which is more secure but more expensive. BMR sells a little bar mount to attach the Touratech mount to the shelf.

I ended up buying a Zumo which uses a different power cable and cradle; I use the same slotted bracket. Wiring either power cable to the map light is a cinch; the stock wiring uses flat spade connectors. Add female connectors to your red and black wires on the Garmin cable, and connect them to the map light using spade "splitters" available from Radio Shack. They have a female end and two male ends.

My Zumo uses the same GXM-30 antenna/receiver as comes standard with the 2730. I mounted mine on the shelf to the left of center. I screwed the flat steel trivet to the shelf so that I can easily attach and remove the antenna. I posted some pictures on the GPS subforum.

If I understood your post, you purchased the BMR bracket that fits on the base of the radio antenna in the back. You may want to confirm that the steel plate is large enough to hold the GXM-30. If not, you may be able to screw it in place. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to easily detach the antenna to be able to use it on another vehicle.

Getting back to the Garmin power/audio cable, the mini-jack in the cable is mono only. It was designed for the early StreetPilots, like the 2610, that only had voice prompts. I am told (but cannot confirm) that while the cable will power the 2730, the audio will not come through that cable. Instead, you will use the audio out jack on the side of the unit, which is a stereo output. You will need to run a cable from the unit to your intercom or sound system. What I did was to use a cassette adaptor, which lets me use my onboard audio controls. If your stereo has an Aux input that may work as well.

Good luck.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 4:59 pm

I have mounted a Garmin 2730 Street Pilot to my 99 K1200LT. I used a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf with 2 short wings, and the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit. One of the wings for the GMX 30 XM antenna and the other wing for other accessories (garage door opener, Fastrax Transponder).

It is pretty easy to mount the BMR shelf and it doesn't block the view of the instrument panel (I'm 6' 2"). They have great instructions with the kit. And they even supply the boring bit. I downloaded the instructions from their website before I bought the unit to see what was involved in the installation. Pretty simple.

I wired the GPS to the map light power. I originally used the audio in port on the intercom, but found I needed a ground fault protector. I think that is what it is called....removes the buzz you get when you're connected. If you use this installation you can only use the controls on the GPS unit to control volume, mute etc. Since, I have a cassette player. I changed to a cassette adapter using the headphone out jack on the unit. I can now control everything from the handle bar controls. Unfortunately, I have to run the wire to the intercom compartment through the slot in the door opening. When it goes into for it's 24,000 mile check, I will have the dealer bury it under the tupperware.

Presently, I'm away this week on a business trip. When I return, I'd be happy to send you pictures of the installation. If you have any questions email me your phone number and I can call you.

P.S. I bought the visor didn't find much difference with or without it. And the velcro tape was in the way when I mounted it in my cage.

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 13th, 2007, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Very Grateful

Thanks, This certainly will help with my installation options. My first post has certainly not been a disappointment. Ride safe. Rick
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:15 am

Make sure you guys go to the Garmin downlaod site and download the latest software for the 2730, just did and I now have a QWERTY keyboard and also has adjusted for the early daylight saving time change among other things.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have my Garmin mounted on a TouraTech with a BMR bar mount. Antenna is on the leading edge of the CoPilot. Works great, power draws from the map light, and I like the slightly higher positioning this offers.

Here's another option. I modified a 2730 installation for a friend recently. We placed the hockey puck antenna out of sight, mounted to the "spider cage" under the nose cone. Very clean install, and he gets excellent reception of XM and GPS signals.

I think KeithTxDallas took some photos that day. Keith, did you snap any of what we did with Doug's antenna that you can post in a reply here?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Here's another option. I modified a 2730 installation for a friend recently. We placed the hockey puck antenna out of sight, mounted to the "spider cage" under the nose cone. Very clean install, and he gets excellent reception of XM and GPS signals.
I think that you will find that the more north you go the more you will want that antenna in a more 'visible' location. When I travel with mine west or south I almost never get a drop out and the signal is always pretty near maximum. In the northeast, the signal is generally only acceptable when I have the puck out in the open.

As usual YMMV... of course.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I just made a bracket for mounting my 2730 to the bottom of Tourtech mount. I made it out of a top to a 4" electrical box and a round 3" box top. Cost about $1.50 maybe. Here are some pic of it, works great. I was going to run the antenna wires inside the bar covers but decided against it because the way it is now I can remove the GPS and antenna in seconds and that antenna costs about $200 so I don't want to leave it on the bike. One thing i noticed when trying it out, I love the XM traffic warnings. I got on the freeway and was told by the lady in the GPS that there was an obstruction in the freeway 10 miles ahead! XM music is pretty cool also.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:55 pm

Garmin 2730 Install

I purchased the 2730 but have not decided on a mounting system yet. Is anyone using the Clutch resevoir RAM mount, and what are the pros and cons vs a BMR shelf? Thanks.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:59 pm

That's how mine is mounted, the clutch resevoir with a ram ball and a 3" ram arm to the Tourtech mount.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 1:42 am

I have mine on the clutch as well. Currenty using the 5 inch mount. It is up there, but I am 6-1 and if works for me. The text is very readable and accessable from that distance for both the GPS and the XM.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
That's how mine is mounted, the clutch resevoir with a ram ball and a 3" ram arm to the Tourtech mount.
I see you have several bikes...have you tried different mounts? I assume the RAM mount is your preference since that is your current setup.
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrick
Iíve thought of using the Garmin OEM locking base secured to the shelf through the four holes in the base, but being it is plastic, I question its durability.
I've used Garmin's motorcycle mounting kit on a Ninja, and now my K1200GT . . . works great. I have the utmost confidence in Garmin's mounts.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 1:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBMW
I see you have several bikes...have you tried different mounts? I assume the RAM mount is your preference since that is your current setup.
I have used parts from Garmin, Ram and Tourtech, never had a problem with any of them.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 8:24 pm

wcarter ....Thanks for the Garmin install tip . I Got the Zumo 550 and used your tips to install using the BMR shelf and slotted bracket. The Radio Shack splitters are Cat# 64-3064 and were not available at my local store. , But they have a "ship to home service" @ no charge to the customer. $2 and 5 days later I had the splitters. I ran the wire under the dash between the plastic of the speedometer and the "hood" of the dash.Therefore no holes needed to be cut. I choose not to cut the wires. I coiled the wires in a flexible plastic wire conduit # 85634 from Auto Zone. This doughnut shaped bundle was nested behind the Zumo on the BMR shelf and secured with two nylon cable ties. The GPS now has double fuse protection and the wire harness is intact. The BMR shelf is a very stable platform , and positions the GPS so I do not have to look away from the road. Now if this SNOW would melt I could use the darn thing .Thank -you all for you suggestions.
post #16 of 16 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/files/5...01592Small.JPG and search cfell in the gallery for another pic of the mount. It rides in "front" actually to the rear of the RCU shelf, further blocking instrument reflection.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in