BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GPS mount photos

12K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  kobalamin 
#1 ·
Here are some photos of the GPS mount I made.

The GPS mount is made of stainless steel sheet metal. I bent the first piece to hold the mount at the angle I wanted then bent the piece that forms the sides of the mount. The sides make the mount very rigid. To mount it to the stingray I removed the BMW roundel and drilled down thru the center. One stainless steel button head bolt holds everything in place. The advantage of making my own mount was that I was able to move the GPS closer to the rider and choose the angle of the screen. With the mount closer to the rider more of the bikes information panel is exposed – I don’t have to lean forward and peer over the top of the GPS to see the temp or trip display. Changing the angle of the GPS screen compaired to the stock BMW mount (closer towards 90º) almost totally eliminates glare.

Bruce Hodges

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Questions on your fabrication method

Very nice job on the GPS mount. I just bought a Zumo for my K1200LT and am in process of making a mount. It consists of 1/16" aluminum plate mounted on the lid of my Marsee tank bag, and a forward-angled mounting bracket attached to the plate. As I complete this project, I will post some pics. I hand-fashioned the aluminum, but was wondering how you managed to cut the curved edges on your SS, and made the bends so precisely. It looks like it was all done on a CNC! Would you be willing to share some fabrication techniques? Thanks.
Nick Chirikos, MOA# 65417

#8 ·
ICXC said:
Very nice job on the GPS mount. I just bought a Zumo for my K1200LT and am in process of making a mount. It consists of 1/16" aluminum plate mounted on the lid of my Marsee tank bag, and a forward-angled mounting bracket attached to the plate. As I complete this project, I will post some pics. I hand-fashioned the aluminum, but was wondering how you managed to cut the curved edges on your SS, and made the bends so precisely. It looks like it was all done on a CNC! Would you be willing to share some fabrication techniques? Thanks.
Nick Chirikos, MOA# 65417
Hi Nick,

I cut the curves in the stainless on a band saw. The bends were done on a sheet metal break.
Make a mockup out of thin cardboard. Once you have the design you want you can unfold the cardboard and you'll have a pattern you can trace around on the sheet metal. You'll know where to cut, where to bend and at what angle.

Bruce Hodges

#12 · (Edited)
I made a acrylic "shed" for my nuvi 660 several years ago. That unit doesn't have enough memory for the US maps, so I upgraded to a 2595. We're planning a trip this spring, so I figured I should make new shed. Just finished it today and it turned out pretty nice.

It mounts on my RKA tank bag. The "shed" can slide off if the weather is going to be good, and I made a little hot glue bump so I can just press on the top to shut the whole unit off. It does block the clock and gear indicator, but is in a great location for a quick glance while traveling.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.