macOS Catalina issues with Garmin Nav devices DATA ACCESS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Boxflyer
  • 1 Post By Boxflyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 11:23 am Thread Starter

Garage
macOS Catalina issues with Garmin Nav devices DATA ACCESS

Recently, (10/10/19) I upgraded my MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) to macOS Catalina 10.15

I was adapting to lots of slight differences in the operating system, but the one that caused me troubles was accessing my Garmin Nav VI in both Garmin Express and Garmin BaseCamp.

When apps/devices that could be considered a security risk by allowing that app/device to have access to your computers files and folders is accessed for the first time, the Catalina OS displays a small Pop-up box with a question of whether or not you want to allow that app/device to have access to your computer files.

I see the general philosophy Apple has blended into this new version of the OS to protect our privacy and security, but I fell victim to the nice sense of security and was unaware of how this would affect my interface with one of my most used devices...namely my BMW Nav VI.

I spent a full day going thru all kinds of WWW derived "fixes" trying to gain control of my GPS, and didn't find an answer that worked until I actually drilled down deep enough on Garmin's website to find the exact solution I needed.

My issue was that I could see both the storage devices of my Nav VI, internal memory and microSD card in the Mac Finder, but could not get the device to be recognized by either Garmin Express or BaseCamp to update the Nav or transfer routes to my device.

By allowing access for BOTH Garmin BaseCamp and Garmin Express in your Security/Privacy Settings, I now have normal access to my GPS to work as before.

Hope this saves someone some headaches!

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Type=noProduct
meese, djmellor and Goose11 like this.

2016 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Re: macOS Catalina issues with Garmin Nav devices DATA ACCESS

I always read the info about OS updates before installing. Sometimes that gives a clue/warning of potential headaches. Time machine backup saved my bacon when new OS wouldn't recognize printer or (old) software. Simple to restore to yesterday.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
Recently, (10/10/19) I upgraded my MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) to macOS Catalina 10.15
Thanks for the heads up, I have the same Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. That is why I usually wait a bit before installing major updates to see what problems others have

Current rides
2014 R1200RT -12 States, 2 Provinces
1984 R80RT Ė semi-retired -48 States, 5 Provinces
Past rides
1973 Honda CB500-4 -13 States
1971 Honda CL-350 -6 States
1972 Honda CL-175

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

Garage

Great post. I also recently upgraded my iMac (late 2014) to Catalina. Haven't messed with my Nav VI recently, but decided to check the settings and I found mine were already set to allow access for both programs. I didn't make any changes after installing Catalina, and my Nav VI worked fine when I hooked it up this morning. I don't know enough to understand why my installation would be any different from yours (aside from the obvious hardware difference). Bottom line - you might have this problem after upgrading to Catalina, and you might not. But it is nice to know there is a solution if the problem crops up. Thanks for posting.

Slightly off the topic - I am more concerned with the myriad software developers who do not keep up with changes. I have 2 programs on my desktop machine that I use for photo editing all the time, and neither works as an extension with Photos under Catalina. The software company acknowledges it is their problem and they are working on a resolution, but it seems like they should have had access to the beta builds to work this out in advance.

Timothy Allen
2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Perhaps the 32 bit vs 64 bit apps are an issue?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/macos-ca...means-for-you/

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothya1 View Post
Slightly off the topic - I am more concerned with the myriad software developers who do not keep up with changes. I have 2 programs on my desktop machine that I use for photo editing all the time, and neither works as an extension with Photos under Catalina. The software company acknowledges it is their problem and they are working on a resolution, but it seems like they should have had access to the beta builds to work this out in advance.
My work around for this issue for the time being, since I still use just one platform/machine (MacBook) to do all my computer work is this...
A couple of years ago, when I first got a GS-911 and needed to use the Windows OS, I purchased an emulator, Parallels, to run Windows within my MacOS.

Now, besides being able to seamlessly jump in and out of my Windows apps, (like GS-911 and my portable DVD player with my Windows based Repair and Service Data disk to copy/paste/print), I have installed an additional complete Operating System in the form of Mac OS 10.14.6, Mojave...my last OS before upgrading to Catalina.
Now I can still have access to any of my apps that appear with a grey "circle with the slash", general prohibition symbol, by just installing them in my Parallels version of MacOS Mojave.

Another program that I doubt will ever have developer support to update it to 64bit is JaVaWa, that allows me to log onto and manipulate all the files on my Garmin GPS devices. These files are sometimes given obscure names, and this program lists essential files and old map files so you can easily remove large map data files to allow installing larger new files all on the devices internal memory vs splitting it up with part of the map residing on an SD card.

I made an informed decision about upgrading to the 64bit Catalina OS, and am able to still work with all my old 32bit apps in Mojave like before...it's not for everyone, but using an emulator such as Parallels works for me.
kbob12 likes this.

2016 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in