5Likes
  • 1 Post By NoelCP
  • 3 Post By mrbongo
  • 1 Post By NoelCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 31st, 2019, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Nav 5 battery time

I have a Nav 5 that I will be lending to my daughter when she goes on an overnight hike.
She has a PLB that will transmit a distress call and her location in the event of an emergency but I thought a handheld GPS might come in handy if for some reason they need to establish their location.
She is 34 years old but any of you with adult children will understand my not being able to fully let go.

My questions are -
1) How long would a fully charged Nav 5 battery last if it was handheld, turned on and in use ie screen lit up.
2) And how long in standby mode?
3) Does anyone have any experience in using the Nav 5 as a handheld device?

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 1:25 am
Old Dawg

Re: Nav 5 battery time*

For something simple like just being gone overnight the 5 will probably be find however battery life is just a few hours generally. If she does this more often I would suggest you or she find someone with a Garmin Montana she can borrow. It has much more accurate information for topography (back country hiking) and the battery will last significantly longer.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 7:21 am

Re: Nav 5 battery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
I have a Nav 5 that I will be lending to my daughter when she goes on an overnight hike.
She has a PLB that will transmit a distress call and her location in the event of an emergency but I thought a handheld GPS might come in handy if for some reason they need to establish their location.
She is 34 years old but any of you with adult children will understand my not being able to fully let go.

My questions are -
1) How long would a fully charged Nav 5 battery last if it was handheld, turned on and in use ie screen lit up.
2) And how long in standby mode?
3) Does anyone have any experience in using the Nav 5 as a handheld device?

Ian
Don't know but it might be important to know how old the battery in it is. I replaced mine recently and it holds a charge much better than the original. Cell phone won't work for her? Nav V seems kind of bulky for that purpose.
Pabst likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 7:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Cell phone won't work for her?
You wouldn't bet your life on cell phone coverage in remote areas of Australia.

Ian

post #5 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 8:13 am

Quote:
Quote:
Cell phone won't work for her?

Ian
I think he means using a cell phone as a GPS navigation device. With maps loaded it should perform as well as Nav 5 with less bulk and no dependency on mobile coverage
garr2, NoelCP and PatM55 like this.
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 8:37 am

Quote:

Ian
It wouldn't be 'cell phone coverage' per se as in cellular service, it would be a case of downloading that section of the map that you're going to be in so the GPS chip in the phone will still work for navigation.
garr2 likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:14 pm

If she agrees that the Nav V is worth taking, then maybe it's worth taking a backup battery and USB cable to recharge it. But...

I've been backpacking for well over 25 years all over the world and you couldn't pay me to hump a GPS the size and weight of a Nav V around in my pack. Especially one that has maps which cover roads and not hiking trails. Since it's unlikely that your daughter will want to watch her progress on the screen when trails aren't represented, battery life shouldn't really matter, since she might only turn it on when needed. if it's only "to establish their location" I agree with others that any cellphone will do, even without signal. But knowing where you are and turning that into help to get yourself get where you want to go are two different things. So unless you can somehow set up the Nav V to show topo maps, honestly, a paper map, compass, and some basic skills are a far better option than carrying a heavy GPS.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Sear (driver)

post #8 of 8 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:17 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

mrbongo
Quote:
I think he means using a cell phone as a GPS navigation device. With maps loaded it should perform as well as Nav 5 with less bulk and no dependency on mobile coverage
NoelCP
Quote:
It wouldn't be 'cell phone coverage' per se as in cellular service, it would be a case of downloading that section of the map that you're going to be in so the GPS chip in the phone will still work for navigation.
Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick. I've been Googling it to find out more.
When my tech savvy son dropped in this afternoon I asked him if he knew of such a thing. He didn't. So as the expert in the room I told him about it.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in