BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

BMW Navigator V Power Cycling?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  rangerb3 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't used my bike in quite a few months and of course like most the batteries in the GPS were dead. I cranked up the bike as I've done in the past expecting the GPS to come on and start charging but I started having a problem I've never experienced before...the navigator continuously power cycles on and off...I tried taking it out of the bikes cradle and powering with an external source and it still goes into a continuous on/off power cycle. Not sure what to do with it. I've owned it new since purchasing the RT back in Jan 2015.

Strange thing...It works as normal when it's not plugged into any power sources....I've also tried doing a "restore" from the menu with no success.

Has anyone else experienced any issue like this? I'm just starting my research into this problem and will try and find a Garmin support group for possible solutions. I'll also be contacting Garmin next week to see what options they have for me....but, I won't be too thrilled if it has to be replaced!

#5 ·
Have you try to re-boot it? Or charge it off of the cradle? And clean the contacts?

Tony
Yes, I removed it off the bike cradle when it started power cycling and plugged it into a 5.2v dc usb power supply and it did the same thing...I did a "restore" from the settings menu and it booted up and worked good...As soon as I plug it into a usb power supply, it immediately goes into power cycling loop powering on and off. It seems to work good when it's not plugged in and charging.

Is there another "re-boot" option that I'm not aware of?

PatM55 said:
Just a thought, have you tried removing the battery and powering it with a USB?
I could probably take the cases apart....it's certainly not a stretch for my skillset but, it only seems to power recycle when it's trying to charge no matter if it's on the bike or an external power supply...

alstrickland55 said:
I had a similar problem and the Garmin tech told me to connect it to external usb charger and hold the power button pushed in for 3 minutes to be sure it reset. I think he probably got a good laugh at me for being so gullible to try it. Anyway they agreed to swap it for a refurbished one at no charge so I'm not complaining.
I'm gullable...well, actually desperate at this point so, I'll give it a try! Don't Laugh! I plan on calling Garmin tech support tomorrow..How old was your unit when they offered to replace it?

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions...

#6 ·
I found the battery compartment and removed the battery. Plugged the unit into an external power supply with the batt disconnected and it kept re-booting showing a battery symbol with a question mark over the battery symbol. I plugged the battery back into the unit and plugged the unit into an external power supply and it went into power cycling again...If I unplug the unit from the external power supply or the computer, it work perfectly! I also went to Garmin's website and learned how to do a "system" reset which completely clears all of the internal information and resets it to factory settings. Plugged it to external power supply and it still power cycles!

I guess Garmin Tech support will be my only option at this point and hopefully, they will have mercy on me and replace it like they did alstrickland55!

#4 ·
I had a similar problem and the Garmin tech told me to connect it to external usb charger and hold the power button pushed in for 3 minutes to be sure it reset. I think he probably got a good laugh at me for being so gullible to try it. Anyway they agreed to swap it for a refurbished one at no charge so I'm not complaining.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hello Ranger3b

Take the back cover off, once it off the contact will turn unit off, reinstall the back cover or battery cover.

Put your thumb on lower right corner while push and hold the power button( I think, not sure) until you see the message "system is loading" then you can release it, now the NAV is factory reset or master boot, follow instruction on screen and don't forget to update any firmware or map if they are available.

You can Google on how to reset or reboot BMW Motorrad NAV, I can vaguely remember the procedure, they replace mine already and still don't understand how a thousand dollars piece of equipment is so unreliable.

Good luck

Tony

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I am not sure how old my Nav was when they replaced it, but it was at least a couple of years old. You have nothing to lose by asking if they will replace it. I am not sure but I think it's probably within the techs authority to replace it with a refurbished one if he wants to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.