BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Nav VI (6) weather info add?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  motorhead1977 
#1 ·
Hello all,

When I registered my Nav VI in early 2018 I am quite sure I saw an option to add weather info to the services on my unit (for a subscription fee of course). Since I wanted to get rolling after spending about 2 hours updating etc I was not interested in spending any additional time getting weather info added. After doing my update as of today 8/17/18 I wanted to try and add weather info to my unit....No such luck. Can't find it anywhere at the Garmin Express site. Contacting customer service was a waste of time. The ever so not helpful CS person named Craig only said "You need to add an app to your smart phone and then pair the smart phone to the Nav VI". I told Mr. Craig that I hd met some BMW folks who had it on their Garmin units and he told me "they must be using some other app." When I pointed out that my 09 Honda GPS had it and at that point I was pretty disappointed in Garmin especially based upon the price paid he just disconnected from me. WTF? My 09 GL1800 GPS had it with no need to use an outside device. Does anyone know how I can get weather info on my Nav VI other than by looking at it and when it is wet I'll know it is raining? TIA

#2 ·
Your Wing used XM for weather and traffic (if you paid for it). The BMW version doesn't support that - you have to download the Garmin Smartphone Link app and pay for the subscription through the app. Your phone has to be linked to the GPS and the app has to be running on your phone (battery life will suffer in my experience). I am not sure if it is a periodic or one time cost, and you would have to have a cell signal to get updated weather.

I am not aware of any other way to get the detailed weather you were used to on your Wing on the BMW Nav VI. I miss the weather integration on the Wing, but I do not miss the inability to do anything but zoom in and out while moving.

#3 ·
Thank you for the clarification. At least I am knowledgeable now and can adjust. This reminds me of the answer my son gave when queried about texting multiple part questions instead of just calling - "Because it's more difficult" he said with a smile. I am quickly learning that this"Because it's more difficult" attitude seems to be the same MO employed by BMW Motorrad. Imagine the BMW market share if in addition to great bikes they made things like this as user friendly as Honda and Co. (and others) have. Otherwise the RT is a fantastic upgrade and overall I'm very pleased with my decision.

#5 ·
I'd think twice before I added the weather app.

I live in Oregon and I will get several gale warning, small craft warning or such an hour when I'm 200 miles from the Ocean........no way to turn them off. The dryland notifications are worse. I'll get "dinged" in the ear several times an hour to find I'm in Extreme fire weather......

I hate being the test subject at these prices......

Get it off your phone - better info.

#7 ·
I hear you. I'd pretty much decided to go that route. I'll just be using my eyes and phone.

#6 ·
I had the weather add-on on a Garmin 665. Total waste of money.
The three times it managed to warn me about severe weather, I had already ridden into and out of it, or into it and found shelter.

The Weatherunderground radar app for the smartphone is almost real time, and has enough information you can make good choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.