BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Nav V Issue

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  WillH 
#1 ·
Riding with a friend recently who sent me his Basecamp prepared GPX file for the route which I loaded into my NAV V by simply transferring the file using a windows computer - outside of Basecamp. Reviewed the trip the night before and all looked good.

Started riding with him and shortly into the trip my NAV V was telling me to make a u turn continuously for about 30 miles. I finally got tired of listening to it and cancelled the trip in the NAV and rode on without a functioning NAV - Luckily we were not separated too much and we were able to stay together to the next stop where I told him my Nav was goofy.

When we stopped and compared notes, he said his Garmin did warn him that he missed the turn but after a short time period, it moved on to the next waypoint/via/shaping point and his Garmin did not bother him anymore. We compared the settings in each GPS unit and it all appeared to be the same. Auto Recalculation was on for both units, same map, same everything. Not sure which model his is but it is about 2-3 years old.

Now this NAV V of mine has done this to me before when I plan routes myself and somehow don't get the waypoint exactly where it needs to be (southbound lanes instead of northbound lanes of a highway/interstate for example) and it tries to route me back to clear that waypoint. Or, if there is a road closure and detour and my waypoint is on the closed road it will insist that I go to that point which really screws me up because I have to clear the trip or stop and clear the waypoint. But my NAV V has never behaved the way his Garmin did and eventually ignore a waypoint and move on to the next one.

Now if I tell the NAV V that I want to go from Point A to Point B without using a custom GPX file and just use the WHERE TO on the NAV V, and then vary my from the route that it tells me to take, it will eventually ignore and pickup again but it has never done this when I have a custom route downloaded as a GPX file.

I have tried turning off auto route recalculation but I then lose the voice and turn by turn when I do this.

What am I doing wrong here? It seems like the NAV V should abandon a skipped waypoint/via/shaping point at some point and move on to the next one. It almost seems like each waypoint/via/shaping point are being treated like stops on my NAV V. Why would his Garmin branded gps using the same exact GPX file and my NAV V behave differently? Do I need to bring the GPX file into Basecamp and then send it to my NAV V? Could this be the issue? I did this last night but they look identical when loaded on the NAV V.

Any suggestions and/or help is greatly appreciated.

Will

See less See more
#2 ·
Gonna sort of answer my own post here: I found the SKIP feature in the NAV and added it to the main map on the display. This way, I can, with 1 finger press, skip that troublesome via/waypoint and it will recalculate to the next via/waypoint. Looks like only 2 button shortcuts can be added to the main map display but with the scroll wheel one can navigate to the others if needed. The buttons are under the map buttons menu in Map & Vehicle.

Still not sure why my riding partner's Garmin automatically skipped it after a distance traveled - mine never did. I found no setting in the NAV V for this and my Google search on the internet found ambiguous and contradictory answers about this very same issue: Some said it should automatically go to the next point and others said you have to manually skip it.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Reactions: NoelCP
#3 ·
After years of scratching my head, I've come to the conclusion that Garmin GPS (and manufacturer branded versions) may look mostly the same but they're not. Some features and functions vary from one model to the next. Some are added, others simply disappear.
So, if your friend has one of the newer Garmins, it probably has that feature (automatic skip) and yours doesn't.
Another thing I learned while riding with others, all having slightly different GPS is that none will behave the same, even if they have the same software and map versions. Just follow the leader and don't worry, be happy. LOL

The Nav V got the skip to next button option a while back in a software update. The Nav VI has that and automatic skip to the next waypoint.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...aC6&searchType=noProduct&utm_source=faqSearch

Garmin zumo Series GPS Comparison | Differences between zumo 450, 550, 220, 660LM, 665LM, 350LM, 390LM, 590LM GPS units - GPS Central Canada

#4 ·
I may have figured it out but won't know until our next trip.

For some weird reason, his route had shaping points that did not transfer properly into the GPX file that he sent to me. So, when I imported the GPX trip file, many of the shaping points came in as vias/waypoints on my Nav V. From my understanding of shaping points, the NAV V will not insist that you go back to a skipped shaping point like it does with a skipped via/waypoint. So, on his Garmin when he skipped the turn which was a shaping point in his unit, his Garmin happily went on to the next point but mine kept telling me to go back because it was a via/waypoint.

It appears that the SKIP button must be used to skip a via/waypoint but it is not necessary for a shaping point.

Last night I took his GPX file and loaded it into my copy of Basecamp (which I am not that familiar with) and it clearly showed the flags (vias/waypoints) rather than dots (shaping points). I then converted those to shaping points (not alert), saved the file and repeated the import process on my NAV and it came up fine with all shaping points.

Guess I will need to review any GPX files I receive before I ride the route to make sure I don't have any more issues like this. Looks like shaping points are the preferred method to get the GPS to follow the route that you want and only use vias/waypoints as stops or places that you do not want to miss seeing (overlooks, scenic spots, etc.).

Will

#5 ·
Just be aware of one very important thing, especially when routes are passed to multiple devices. ALL of your devices MUST have their preferences AND avoidance list be identical. What gets transferred, when you transfer the route are just points, which gets translated by the individual devices into actual route, on the go.

This is why it is crucial, when planning routes in Basecamp, that you have the configurations of your Basecamp be identical as what you have set up for your Nav, or you WILL get surprises when yo take that route and try to follow it.

#6 ·
And I have abandoned Furkot because it does not appear to use shaping points - only vias/waypoints - which I think is why I have had issues with my own routes created in Furkot. Also, the map detail in Furkot does not appear to be nearly as good as Garmin's. For example, in Furkot if I place the waypoint on a highway, it may show up in my NAV as the wrong side of the highway (NB 4 lane VS SB 4 lane) which my NAV will then force me to visit.

So, I will be forcing myself to use Basecamp.:bmw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.