Navigator route calculation - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PadG
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Navigator route calculation

Does anyone know if the satellites for the region where a route is located are required to be visible before doing a route calculation?

The reason I ask is thus. I have saved several routes for a trip to Ireland later this year. I have the City Navigator Europe NT 2018.2 maps installed on the SD card in my Nav V. When I import the routes on the GPS, it takes a little bit of time, but I attribute this to using the SD card rather than the local GPS memory. However, when I open one of the routes and click on "Go", the calculation commences, but is extremely slow. After several minutes, it gets to the 11% point and then just hangs and never finishes. I would like to know if this is due to some issue with either the route or the map before I get to Ireland and find I can't use my saved routes.

If route calculation requires that the correct local satellites be visible, then I understand why a route in Ireland would fail calculation when the calculation is done in the US. I have searched and have not found yet anything online that discusses this. Anyone here done this before?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2018, 8:40 pm
Senior Member
 
PatM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada Eh!
Posts: 263
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Does anyone know if the satellites for the region where a route is located are required to be visible before doing a route calculation?

The reason I ask is thus. I have saved several routes for a trip to Ireland later this year. I have the City Navigator Europe NT 2018.2 maps installed on the SD card in my Nav V. When I import the routes on the GPS, it takes a little bit of time, but I attribute this to using the SD card rather than the local GPS memory. However, when I open one of the routes and click on "Go", the calculation commences, but is extremely slow. After several minutes, it gets to the 11% point and then just hangs and never finishes. I would like to know if this is due to some issue with either the route or the map before I get to Ireland and find I can't use my saved routes.

If route calculation requires that the correct local satellites be visible, then I understand why a route in Ireland would fail calculation when the calculation is done in the US. I have searched and have not found yet anything online that discusses this. Anyone here done this before?
The satellites are always on the move around earth so no, you don't need the "region's" satellites.

I have an older version of the maps, Europe NT 2017.2 and there is a delay with calculations when I import routes built with other versions of the maps. However it doesn't hang. I used it a lot last year without any issues.

I would suspect the microSD card.
Also make sure you have lots of free memory on the Nav V.
PatM55 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 7:01 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
The satellites are always on the move around earth so no, you don't need the "region's" satellites.

I have an older version of the maps, Europe NT 2017.2 and there is a delay with calculations when I import routes built with other versions of the maps. However it doesn't hang. I used it a lot last year without any issues.

I would suspect the microSD card.
Also make sure you have lots of free memory on the Nav V.
Yes, I realize they orbit the earth every twelve hours (11 hrs 58 min), but was trying not to get too technical in my question. Let me try again, if the satellites that the almanac says should be visible over the map region where the route is being calculated at the time of calculation are not visible, does this cause issues with the GPS route calculation?

The issue may be my microSD card, but I used the same card for my trip in the UK two years ago and it worked fine. I don't think I tried to calculate the routes for the last trip prior to actually arriving onsite though. I decided to try it this time just out of curiosity and it doesn't work. That got me wondering if it doesn't work due to the almanac telling the receiver to look for satellites that aren't visible or if something more serious is wrong.

Are you saying you have calculated routes for places far enough away that the satellites which should be visible in that place at that time are not visible and the GPS is seeing another set of the constellation?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm
Senior Member
 
PatM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada Eh!
Posts: 263
Re: Navigator route calculation

I just clued in to what you are asking: can you load and try the route on your Nav V from your current location in America?
I tried it with a route I rode last spring, in Italy. Just like what you're experiencing, it seems to hang at about 12%. This IMO would be normal behavior. The GPS has to calculate the route from your current location to the first waypoint.
If you are like me, in North America, the GPS would have to resolve a route across the Atlantic.

However, if I activate the GPS simulator, it does calculate the route and then allows me to preview the route. In simulator mode the GPS doesn't have your current location.

Last edited by PatM55; Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:37 pm.
PatM55 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
I just clued in to what you are asking: can you load and try the route on your Nav V from your current location in America?
I tried it with a route I rode last spring, in Italy. Just like what you're experiencing, it seems to hang at about 12%. This IMO would be normal behavior. The GPS has to calculate the route from your current location to the first waypoint.
If you are like me, in North America, the GPS would have to resolve a route across the Atlantic.

However, if I activate the GPS simulator, it does calculate the route and then allows me to preview the route. In simulator mode the GPS doesn't have your current location.
Yes, saying I was in the US calculating a route in England would have been more clear.

I tried several permutations of loading the map and route into both internal device memory and the SD card. None worked. Since I have full trip planner daily routes with an origin and destination, I thought the GPS would work with that, but since it asks for the next destination when I hit Go, I think you are spot on that it is trying to calculate from my current location to a place where it can't see the satellites.

I was just thinking about trying simulator mode also, but have to find out how to enter that manually. Usually, I only enter it when the GPS can't find satellites and asks me if I want to enter simulator mode.

Thanks for checking this out independently and confirming the issue and pointing out the likely cause.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 2:27 pm
Senior Member
 
PatM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada Eh!
Posts: 263
Re: Navigator route calculation

You can find the GPS Simulator in Settings/Navigation.
PatM55 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
You can find the GPS Simulator in Settings/Navigation.
The sim seems to run the routes OK. Not sure it starts at the first point in each day's route though. And it runs so slow. Know of any way to make it run at 4X speed?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2018, 10:13 pm
Senior Member
 
PatM55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada Eh!
Posts: 263
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The sim seems to run the routes OK. Not sure it starts at the first point in each day's route though. And it runs so slow. Know of any way to make it run at 4X speed?
I agree, it is slooooowwww.
Sorry, I don't know if it can be speeded up, I don't use it much.
I usually just load the road in the gps and preview the map just to see if it respects what I planned in basecamp.
PatM55 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2018, 8:39 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
I agree, it is slooooowwww.
Sorry, I don't know if it can be speeded up, I don't use it much.
I usually just load the road in the gps and preview the map just to see if it respects what I planned in basecamp.
I found reference that some Garmins let you click on the speed value and increase it for sim purposes, but that didn't seem to work on the Nav V. I think Saddleman or someone mentioned using google Earth to "fly" the routes to look for any routing weirdness. I may look in to that. The Garmin sim function is next to useless if it can only run in "real time" speed.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2018, 8:52 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,605
Re: Navigator route calculation

Matt, I had never tried running routes through trail via Nav V. I just trust that it will run properly when I get abroad, and so far they have been fine!

As for running the route in Google Earth while planning my trips, I do that all the time as part of my long range planning. I would create the routes in Basecamp, and from there Basecamp will allow you to link and export the route directly to Earth (assuming that you have it installed in your computer). From there, you can configure Earth to have you fly along the route at any multiples of real time speed. You can configure Earth for the flight parameters, such as height, angle and all that. It's quite neat! Try it, and if you have any issues with it, I can help.

BTW, you and your wife need to make sure that you do get to ride in New Zealand! I was there for all of last November and early December. Unfortunately, the riding portion was just 10 days on an RT (2017 model!)
PatM55 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2018, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Matt, I had never tried running routes through trail via Nav V. I just trust that it will run properly when I get abroad, and so far they have been fine!

As for running the route in Google Earth while planning my trips, I do that all the time as part of my long range planning. I would create the routes in Basecamp, and from there Basecamp will allow you to link and export the route directly to Earth (assuming that you have it installed in your computer). From there, you can configure Earth to have you fly along the route at any multiples of real time speed. You can configure Earth for the flight parameters, such as height, angle and all that. It's quite neat! Try it, and if you have any issues with it, I can help.

BTW, you and your wife need to make sure that you do get to ride in New Zealand! I was there for all of last November and early December. Unfortunately, the riding portion was just 10 days on an RT (2017 model!)
Australia and New Zealand are on my short list. Not looking forward to the flight there though.

This year is Ireland.

2019 is Alaska.

2020 May be Aus and NZ. Can only afford an international trip every 2-3 years.

Too many places and too little money and time!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2018, 2:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,605
Re: Navigator route calculation

Unfortunately, the renting of the RT in NZ is rather expensive at about NZ$300 a day! More than what it had cost me to rent in Scotland, which was more than what you had paid in in GB. I might be doing Australia in 2010. Not sure yet.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2018, 2:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,986
Re: Navigator route calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Unfortunately, the renting of the RT in NZ is rather expensive at about NZ$300 a day! More than what it had cost me to rent in Scotland, which was more than what you had paid in in GB. I might be doing Australia in 2010. Not sure yet.
Not sure what that is in USD, but we are renting a K1600 for 700/week or $140/day at current exchange. The RT is a little less at 650/week. If you are riding Australia in 2010, can I borrow your time machine?

Just did the conversion and the NZ cost is about $220/day at the moment. A little pricey, but you can't take it with you!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2018, 9:33 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,605
Re: Navigator route calculation

Haha....of course, I meant to say Oz in 2020. Actually, it might be 2019, if the reunion with my NZ school mates is going to be there in 2019.

Yeah, the rental cost is high in NZ, and there are just 4 outfits where one can get an RT. The cost would have been a lot lower if I had gone for, say, a Japanese bike! BTW, the rental car was really cheap at just NZ$28/day, and we won't even think about the price of gas!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome