• 1 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 1 Post By kellenbenz
  • 3 Post By timothya1
  • 1 Post By RiverRunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:03 am Thread Starter

basecamp

Hey All;

does ANYBODY really understand basecamp. wow, Garmin cant come up with any thing better.
I have a short ironbutt ride coming up and every time i plan a route it takes me the slowest way possible.
i need expressways and interstates. Yes i have all the avoidance off, it should route the fastest way. and add to that all the way-points i want to stop at. my god man the most frustrating thing on the planet, and i have ALOT of patience.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 29th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Re: basecamp

This link is a great step by step tutorial.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...utorial-Videos

Along with a giant discussion here:
Garmin Basecamp help thread - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
Good luck!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Oct 30th, 2017, 8:08 am

The common problem that I h ave is that after creating a route on the PC, when it's transferred to either my Zumo or Nuvi it is recalculated by the GPS and can look very different than what I laid our on the PC. Seems like the transfer includes only the way points and not the actual route. Of course this can be avoided by including additional intermediate way points in the original route. Seems like this was not necessary with my older Garmin GPS devices. They would accept a route exactly as it was planned on the PC without the additional way points.
biker01red likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 30th, 2017, 10:56 am

Check to see what activity profile you are using. On the toolbar at the top, are you using the motorcycle icon or the car? If you want the fastest and interstates, use the car.

Ron
mwnahas likes this.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:10 pm

Garage

I gave up on basecamp simply because I don't ride enough unknown routes to retain the memory of how to quickly use the software.

I use Furkot now but I still have to use plenty of "vias" and even then I have to be real careful about placement of the vias because it makes a difference which side of a 4 lane highway you place the point! Had me going in circles a few times.

I still have not found a simple way to reverse my exact route for the return trip or how save an on-the-fly route.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #6 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 12:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
The common problem that I h ave is that after creating a route on the PC, when it's transferred to either my Zumo or Nuvi it is recalculated by the GPS and can look very different than what I laid our on the PC. Seems like the transfer includes only the way points and not the actual route. Of course this can be avoided by including additional intermediate way points in the original route. Seems like this was not necessary with my older Garmin GPS devices. They would accept a route exactly as it was planned on the PC without the additional way points.
If you don't want the Zumo or Nuvi or BMW Nav convert your route to a track and then follow the track. Tracks don't get modified by the on-bike unit. You can create your trip using the route routine in Basecamp and then convert to track before you transfer into your on-bike machine.
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 5:05 am

Garage

Quote:
I have exactly the same experience. I think the NAV VI is crap !!!!! I never had the problem with prior Garmin products. I called and emailed Garmin NAV VI support, got the same answer "they will not recommend specific settings".....
I do a lot of custom routes each year, definitely not happy with the NAV VI...

post #8 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 5:08 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunner View Post
If you don't want the Zumo or Nuvi or BMW Nav convert your route to a track and then follow the track. Tracks don't get modified by the on-bike unit. You can create your trip using the route routine in Basecamp and then convert to track before you transfer into your on-bike machine.
How do I do that ??

post #9 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 7:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
I have exactly the same experience. I think the NAV VI is crap !!!!! I never had the problem with prior Garmin products. I called and emailed Garmin NAV VI support, got the same answer "they will not recommend specific settings".....
I do a lot of custom routes each year, definitely not happy with the NAV VI...
My experience has been different. I don't think I have had a Garmin device that didn't come up with a different route than what I had produced in Basecamp. I have always had to add intermediate waypoints to make sure the route was as expected.

I guess I don't understand all the Basecamp bashing. I have tried multiple programs and each one had some feature I didn't like, and none of them were immediately intuitive without practice. Nothing has been perfect, including Basecamp.
Bighopper, Nil_Time and Sleuth like this.

Timothy Allen
2017 R1200RT
post #10 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 8:08 am

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. That will surely simplify my life!

As far as all the other complaints concerning Base Camp, I'll admit that the transition from MapSource to BaseCamp was painful and one heck of a steep learning curve. However, with all the pain and suffering behind me, except for the routing issue mentioned in this post, I now find that BaseCamp works well for me. With the custom routing capabilities and frequent map data base updates it beats the hell out of the OEM GPS functions available in either of my cars.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #11 of 23 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 11:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. That will surely simplify my life!

As far as all the other complaints concerning Base Camp, I'll admit that the transition from MapSource to BaseCamp was painful and one heck of a steep learning curve. However, with all the pain and suffering behind me, except for the routing issue mentioned in this post, I now find that BaseCamp works well for me. With the custom routing capabilities and frequent map data base updates it beats the hell out of the OEM GPS functions available in either of my cars.
A steep learning curve seems reasonable for a new software program. I found the learning curve for Mapsource equally frustrating and steep when I attempted to see if the grass was indeed greener on the other side...

Timothy Allen
2017 R1200RT
post #12 of 23 Old Nov 13th, 2017, 12:45 am

Riders:

If you want to have a static path to follow, I suggest converting your "routes" to "tracks." Tracks won't change if you take a turn off the path, but it will not reroute your trip as well.

I always use tracks because we don't often get too far off the planned path.

Give basecamp some time, that is what it takes. You have to experiment, fail and then do it right.

I'm most used to basecamp generated tracks on a Montana 680 with my KTM690. I've got to come up the learning curve on my NAV VI here soon!

I tried loading my 24K Topo maps on the NAV VI and it was too busy in my opinion - I need more time experimenting!
mtrevelino likes this.
post #13 of 23 Old Nov 13th, 2017, 6:27 am

Quote:
If you want to have a static path to follow, I suggest converting your "routes" to "tracks." Tracks won't change if you take a turn off the path, but it will not reroute your trip as well.
ok I will bite. How do you convert a route to tracks? I did not see any options in BaseCamp. I have many "via points" in a route and make sure to turn off alert for each point. If I create a 100 mile ride on back roads, I can have 20 "via points" in the one route. The "via points" makes sure I stay on the roads I want and not have BaseCamp route me on a different road.
Thanks!!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #14 of 23 Old Nov 13th, 2017, 7:41 am

Garage

I have not tried the TRACK option - Furkot has an option on the export screen to save as a track or a route and they give the following explanation:

"Track is a point-by-point representation of your trip course. Route is a series of points that help your GPS device or navigation app navigate along your trip course."

FWIW, even when I use Furkot, when I load my route into the NAV V the night before my ride it looks perfect but when it actually links up with the satellite the next day, it usually doesn't look the same. I think it must continuously dynamically adjust the route. Perhaps the Track option would get around this? As others have said, if you have enough vias or waypoints, you force it to go a certain way but from my experience this can be a LOT of points to plot.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #15 of 23 Old Nov 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
...if you have enough vias or waypoints, you force it to go a certain way but from my experience this can be a LOT of points to plot.
Correct, but you have to load a lot of vias and waypoints to stay on your route. The further they are spaced, the more chance the gps will recalculate your route. I mainly use my routes with many vias when planning a two to three hour local group ride. I have not noticed any deviation from this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #16 of 23 Old Nov 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
ok I will bite. How do you convert a route to tracks? I did not see any options in BaseCamp. I have many "via points" in a route and make sure to turn off alert for each point. If I create a 100 mile ride on back roads, I can have 20 "via points" in the one route. The "via points" makes sure I stay on the roads I want and not have BaseCamp route me on a different road.
Thanks!!!!
Open the route, you will see the option to create a track at the bottom of the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-13 14_56_19-Garmin BaseCamp.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	135650  
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 14th, 2017, 4:50 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
Open the route, you will see the option to create a track at the bottom of the window.
That photo doesn't look like the Basecamp I have ???

post #18 of 23 Old Nov 14th, 2017, 6:28 am

It does not look like mine either, but I do have the Create Track Option. I will have to try it sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BaseCamp.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	135658  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #19 of 23 Old Nov 14th, 2017, 8:46 am

Garage

Quote:
It does not look like mine either, but I do have the Create Track Option. I will have to try it sometime.
I have an Apple iMac computer....my screen does not have the "create a track" option....
There is an option to create a route from a track, no option to create a track from a route ??
The screens must be different when using Windows ??

post #20 of 23 Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:14 am

Quote:
It 1does not look like mine either, but I do have the Create Track Option. I will have to try it sometime.
Select the More info check mark at the bottom left.
post #21 of 23 Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
I have an Apple iMac computer....my screen does not have the "create a track" option....
There is an option to create a route from a track, no option to create a track from a route ??
The screens must be different when using Windows ??
I believe the option is context driven. If you select a track, you will see the create route option, if you select a route, you see the create track option.
post #22 of 23 Old Nov 15th, 2017, 9:26 am

Hate to beat a dead horse here. But, it seems to me that converting a TRIP to a TRACK is not a practical solution to the problem of having the GPS (ZUMO) re-calculate a route that is different than what was originally created and downloaded. I under stand that a TRACK is simply a collection of co-ordinates and when viewed it simply overlays those points on a map. I believe there is no connection between the roads on the map and the collection of co-ordinates. Therefore, again my perception, I believe that after converting a ROUTE to a TRACK on the PC, downloading the TRACK to the GPS, then viewing the track on the GPS it will look exactly like what it did on the PC. However, it will not provide voice prompts for turn by turn travel. The GPS does provide on board capability to convert that TRACK back to a ROUTE however, it seem like that function uses only the start and end points and calculates what it determines to be the most efficient route depending on the navigation preferences established by the user, which again may not look anything like the original ROUTE. This brings us full circle back to the original problem. Where-as the older GARMIN devices would exactly duplicate a route as created on a PC when it was downloaded to the GPS without any modification. Wonder why they changed it? Or, perhaps it is my feeble mind that just cannot comprehend all this computer crap and I will just have to continue placing a plethora of redundant via points in my routes.

Sorry for all the verbiage here but I keep hoping that there is actually a light at the end of the tunnel and that someone out there can educate me in the fine art of programming a route on a GARMIN GPS.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #23 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2018, 10:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hate to beat a dead horse here. But, it seems to me that converting a TRIP to a TRACK is not a practical solution to the problem of having the GPS (ZUMO) re-calculate a route that is different than what was originally created and downloaded. I under stand that a TRACK is simply a collection of co-ordinates and when viewed it simply overlays those points on a map. I believe there is no connection between the roads on the map and the collection of co-ordinates. Therefore, again my perception, I believe that after converting a ROUTE to a TRACK on the PC, downloading the TRACK to the GPS, then viewing the track on the GPS it will look exactly like what it did on the PC. However, it will not provide voice prompts for turn by turn travel. The GPS does provide on board capability to convert that TRACK back to a ROUTE however, it seem like that function uses only the start and end points and calculates what it determines to be the most efficient route depending on the navigation preferences established by the user, which again may not look anything like the original ROUTE. This brings us full circle back to the original problem. Where-as the older GARMIN devices would exactly duplicate a route as created on a PC when it was downloaded to the GPS without any modification. Wonder why they changed it? Or, perhaps it is my feeble mind that just cannot comprehend all this computer crap and I will just have to continue placing a plethora of redundant via points in my routes.

Sorry for all the verbiage here but I keep hoping that there is actually a light at the end of the tunnel and that someone out there can educate me in the fine art of programming a route on a GARMIN GPS.
I also have a love/hate relationship with Basecamp. I have tried many alternatives: Google maps, Harley Trip planner, Furkot, Mapquest and a few others I can't remember. All have serious deficiencies.

I find Basecamp to be the most capable and to interface best with my Nav V. Most issues with Basecamp are related to ease of use and lousy documentation rather than wholesale missing capability as with most alternatives. Although, I found one ridiculous bug just this week, although Garmin of course denies it is a bug.

I often start planning rides in the prior calendar year. I started planning my September 2018 Ireland ride last October. As in the past, I found very odd things when I loaded the routes into my Nav V. The routes would appear in random order rather than chronologically. And the categorization seemed random with some days showing as upcoming, some as scheduled and some as unscheduled. I think I got this correct from memory, but maybe not the precisely correct category names.

I saw the same behavior three years ago with my Scotland tour, but didn't take time to research it. Now that I am retired, I decided to dig into it. After two days of experimentation and emails to Garmin support, I think I found the problem.

I create my trips using Trip Planner. This organizes trips by calendar day which is logical. The problem is that each waypoint within each day's route also has a separate date. And this date seems to be completely independent of the day in which it is contained. I found that even though my trip dates all occurred in September 2018, the waypoint dates were a mixture of 2017, when I first created the trip, and 2018 for changes I made this year as we finalized hotels and such. It does appear that only the first waypoint each day needs its date to be manually changed to match the date of the Trip Planner day. Once I changed the first waypoint date to the correct 2018 date, the other waypoints in that day's route updated to match. Having done this for each day of my trip, things now seem to load into the GPS in chronological order and all days are now correctly categorized as upcoming.

When I mentioned this bug to Garmin, I got a response that Basecamp was not designed to plan trips a year in advance. What a pile of bovine excrement. This would affect trips planned only a month in advance if planning a January trip in December. I don't know why they simply can't admit they made a mistake and forgot to have waypoints inherit the date of the trip day into which they are inserted.

I am still not completely clear what changes a given day's route from upcoming to unscheduled and then to scheduled. And I have found no Garmin document or video which addresses it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in