Navigator V weirdness - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 1:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Navigator V weirdness

On a just completed trip my Navigator V behaved weirdly.
i entered a destination, hit 'Go' and went. Shortly after starting off I noticed that while the map screen showed the route to take, the instructions never progressed. As I got further and further into the ride the ETA got later and later. It seemed like every minute I rode towards my destination set the ETA back another minute - as though I was riding away from it. The distance to destination and time to destination either increased as I rode towards my destination or remained stuck. Weirdness indeed!
I've just arrived home from my trip, connected the Nav V to the computer, downloaded a 3.40 update to Garmin Express and a software update for the GPS itself. I haven't had time to get out on the road again to see if these updates put an end to this weirdness but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Re: Navigator V weirdness

Ian,
I have had similar experiences.
The first time I had this had me totally confused, I was using a route I had created in Basecamp & it did exactly what you describe. The the next time I had it again a route I had created in Basecamp, but I noticed that a waypoint was past the turn I had to make, so from that point on it did as you describe.
However I think i saw somewhere that you can select the next waypoint as the start & it recalculates.
I haven't had the pleasure of using the Nav V since the update to 3.40, to see if that problem still exists.

Try calling Garmin OEM at 1-866-455-7012 (this is direct to the tech's) & they might be able to help solve the issue that you are having.
Phil

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Phil,
Thanks for your reply.
Soon after getting my Navigator V I also had the weirdness of which you speak. And as you say it turned out to be a waypoint I had set in Basecamp but detoured around that the GPS insisted I go to. A friend politely called that experience "User error". I prefer to see it as the Basecamp learning curve.
But this new weirdness happens when there are no way points - such as when you tell the GPS to 'Go Home'.
If the just downloaded updates don't do the trick I will ring the Garmin Australasian Support line when they open on Monday morning.

Ian

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Sounds like you went past a way point but didn't tag it by not getting close enough to it. If you used the trip planner it usually selects the next way point to start at, not your starting point. If you miss a way point start the route again but select a way point ahead of your current position. I like to use intersections or gas stations for way points. That way I'll know I'll pass them along the route and the GPS will register that point.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

mwnahas -
Quote:
Sounds like you went past a way point but didn't tag it by not getting close enough to it
Me -
Quote:
But this new weirdness happens when there are no way points - such as when you tell the GPS to 'Go Home'.
Me
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 10th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
You got me.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 10:58 am

That does sound weird. One thing I would check is the symbol for skipping the next way point active or greyed out.

Gerhard

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2016, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

No more weirdness.

I rang Garmin technical support and told them my story - in particular that the weirdness happened even when there were no way points.
They had never heard of such a malfunction. I told them that since arriving home from the weird trip I had downloaded an "Urgent" (Garmin Express' term) Nav V update.
They said to go for a ride and see what happens .......... no more weirdness.
I'm still trying to work out why it happened in the first place.
Maybe the Nav V update I downloaded before i went on my trip had a bug that was subsequently patched by the "Urgent" download since I got home. I don't know.

But I don't understand string theory either or why the sky is blue, or how so many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in