Route Planning/Navigation Frustrations - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fun Bobby
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Nardowell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Route Planning/Navigation Frustrations

I like to plan a route, usually a mix of interstate and secondary roads. I donít want to sit and re-program my route on my phone or GPS when I stop for gas or turn to a new road.

My GPS doesnít accept planned routes. I like the way I can plan a route in Goggle Maps, but My Maps wonít navigate the route. Iíve tried REVER, but itís awkward to create a route. I canít justify the $69/yr for Tyre/My Route. MapQuest doesnít find many of the waypoints I search for.

In this day and age of self-driving cars, it makes no sense to navigate using written notes in my tank bag. What dos other use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Re: Route Planning/Navigation Frustrations

Garmin BaseCamp. It's free and I find it fairly easy to use to build routes and transfer them to my Nuvi 550 and Street Pilot 2730.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Whiskey likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 8:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Basecamp here also.

I find Basecamp OK from ease of use perspective, but not nearly as easy to use as say Google maps. However, it interfaces to my GPSes much better. At least to my old Nav III.

I have used my Nav V for only one trip, a recent trip in the UK. Some real weirdness happened on several days of this 19 day trip, but I can't say if that was the Nav V or the Europe map I purchased for this trip. I have yet to make a domestic trip to see how that works.

I use a Rand McNally road atlas for the "strategic" phase of my planning. I then use Basecamp in conjunction with Trip Advisor for the "tactical" phase of daily route planning and selection of sights to see, lodging and restaurants at days' end. I use the Navigator itself for finding gas stations and restaurants while enroute.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2016, 9:10 am Thread Starter

I used Basecamp on my trip to Nova Scotia last year. I used a friends GPS and was able to load my route into the GPS. The GPS model I've got doesn't support that function. Smartphones do everything a GPS can do and more, so I see the stand alone GPS going the way of the 8 track. I doesn't make sense to me to buy another one.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2016, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
I used Basecamp on my trip to Nova Scotia last year. I used a friends GPS and was able to load my route into the GPS. The GPS model I've got doesn't support that function. Smartphones do everything a GPS can do and more, so I see the stand alone GPS going the way of the 8 track. I doesn't make sense to me to buy another one.
My iPhone is not weather resistant and it doesn't store all of the map and other data locally like my Garmins. Nova Scotia had pretty good cell coverage, but that wasn't the case in Newfoundland and even much of mountainous PA where I live. And using cell phone data 8 hours a day gets very expensive!

Maybe some day they will be equivalent, but not yet.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2016, 10:42 pm

Garage

I tried every phone solution available and hated them all for motorcycle use. They're designed to get cages from point a to b as quickly as possible with as little traffic as possible, and that is not what I want on the bike.

I finally bought a Garmin Zumo 660 and couldn't be happier. I plan my routes on the Harley Davidson Ride Planner website, export it as a GPX file then preview/tweak it a bit in Basecamp and transfer it over to my GPS unit.

It seems a bit roundabout, but I'm not a fan of Basecamp for planning the route and if I try to dump the GPX from HD straight into the GPS it'll pick a different route between points and I'll end up going somewhere unintended.

2000 R1100RT
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 29th, 2016, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I tried every phone solution available and hated them all for motorcycle use. They're designed to get cages from point a to b as quickly as possible with as little traffic as possible, and that is not what I want on the bike.

I finally bought a Garmin Zumo 660 and couldn't be happier. I plan my routes on the Harley Davidson Ride Planner website, export it as a GPX file then preview/tweak it a bit in Basecamp and transfer it over to my GPS unit.

It seems a bit roundabout, but I'm not a fan of Basecamp for planning the route and if I try to dump the GPX from HD straight into the GPS it'll pick a different route between points and I'll end up going somewhere unintended.
Funny you mention the H-D Ride Planner. I tried several at first, including Google, Yahoo, MapQuest and others and settled on Ride a Planner for its ease of use. However, as you also found, it is completely brain dead when it comes to talking to a GPS.

When I started my first trip, I saw a straight line where I expected my route. It loaded only waypoints and, with my Nav III, put it in off-road mode so I had only straight lines. I switched to motorcycle mode and it autoroutes, but I didn't have the route I had meticulously planned.

I then did as you and tried Basecamp and once I used that a few times I abandoned Ride Planner. Basecamp has somewhat of a learning curve, but once you learn the basics it works pretty well. There was a gentleman on, I think, the BMWMOA forum or maybe ADVrider who did a nice tutorial series on Basecamp. I found that very helpful to get started. Lastly, I found that Harley seemed to abandon Ride Planner after launching it. I never saw updates or bug fixes during the time I used it.

I found the videos. Not professionally made, but I thought very useful.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....utorial-Videos
Whiskey likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:18 am. Reason: Added video url
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 9:49 am

Garage

I don't mean to steal bandytales' thunder but check out MotoGoLoco | The Home of Biker Friendly

and this thread.

I intend to try this on my next trip - Basecamp is way to complex for my simple needs.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 8:53 am

My Garmin Zumo 550 started having problems, so Garmin replaced it with a Zumo 660. The support staff told me that I could still have some issues with using Basecamp. I have been using Basecamp for over a year on many rides with specific waypoints used to take me to roads with more adventure. The support staff indicated I should use MapSource (?)(old mapping software) and import into Basecamp, and then export to the Garmin 660.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 11:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Here is another free trip planner I recently discovered from a recommendation on another forum site:

Road Trip Planner | Furkot Help Center

It has a very user friendly interface and you can easily transfer your routes .gpx files directly into Nav V. I'm a very satisfied user...and I didn't have to fuss around with Basecamp.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowÖwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by malclingan View Post
My Garmin Zumo 550 started having problems, so Garmin replaced it with a Zumo 660. The support staff told me that I could still have some issues with using Basecamp. I have been using Basecamp for over a year on many rides with specific waypoints used to take me to roads with more adventure. The support staff indicated I should use MapSource (?)(old mapping software) and import into Basecamp, and then export to the Garmin 660.
Yes Mapsource is better indicated for use with the older Garmins. It hasn't been updated in a while but should still run in Win10.
Mapsource Download
It's a bit easier to use than Basecamp. I used Basecamp with my old zumo 550 and as long as you don't use the curvy roads and stuff, it should work fine. The route profile isn't saved with the route when you send it to the device.

ps Basecamp is a PITA IMO. Furkot is interesting.
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 9:12 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
Here is another free trip planner I recently discovered from a recommendation on another forum site:

Road Trip Planner | Furkot Help Center

It has a very user friendly interface and you can easily transfer your routes .gpx files directly into Nav V. I'm a very satisfied user...and I didn't have to fuss around with Basecamp.
This looks pretty good. I will try it and MotoGoLoco the next time I plan a trip. Furkot seems to be more robust than MotoGoLoco with trip planning features like hotels and motels. It looks like it is simple click and drag to create and change your route which is what I like about MotoGoLoco.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Garage

Basecamp was the hardest thing I have ever tried to use. I watched the tutorials and spent hours with it. I finally got a couple routes done.

Then, from reading this forum, I found Motogoloco and in one short evening I was making routes and down loading them to my Nav 5. It is so simple and easy to use, you will not need any introductions. Just start exploring it.

After a 900 mile 5 day trip into Wisconsin using 6 different routes, I am sold on it.
Thanks to everyone that recommended it.
JNW003 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Garage

I have been using Basecamp pretty much since it came out.
Basecamp on Windows = sucks - cumbersome - stiff.
Basecamp on Apple (Mac) = awesome and easy, Routes work now perfectly with many devices I can export many formats to many different devices GDB or GPX extensions and others.

Having used it for so long I have exported files to Goldwing systems and many Garmin devices, no clue about others never had anything but Garmin but others have successfully imported files. I have also submitted road updates to Garimin and changes when I see there is a problem and they respond and actually implement on the next release, pretty cool.

I use it to plan group rides as well as individual and post routes files and images (screen shots) as well as send them out to other group members. Also print out directions to hand out. BUt all that is Mac.

I have become used to how "close" I can get without ending up on Gravel roads and usually stay away from main roads as much as possible. Sometimes still Gravel strikes, keep going straight - turn on next road - contact Garmin let them know when I get home. Planning in Basecamp give me the option to see it in Google Earth Pro so I can fly the route I am planning and look for possible trouble spots, specially for group rides.

Looked at MotoLoco - pretty cool on iPad, fast as hell to if you just look for auto routing, easy drag and drop route modification, will need to use it on the big computer to see if I can get the detail, but for general "make me a route" users - easy option.

Last edited by Petrus; Oct 12th, 2016 at 6:41 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in