Zumo 660 sees Sena SMH10 headset but fails to pair! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Zumo 660 sees Sena SMH10 headset but fails to pair!

I ride a 2013 BMW R1200RT withe the OEM stereo audio system. I had that BlueTooth paired to my Sena Smh10 directly, that is, not going through the Zumo. I'm quite happy with my stereo music choices with the motorcycle.

With my new Zumo, I successfully BT paired my LG980 Android phone and it works fine in the car. I can make/receive calls, use the address book, etc. (I believe this is called HFP pairing, which is monaural. I do not use any other phone option other than very infrequently receiving/making calls.)

Today I attempted to BT pair my Zumo 660 to my Sena SMH10 headset with the understanding I'd only be able to get mono voice directions (plus MP3 songs, and audio books -IF- I choose to listen to those). I knew that would be a another HFP connection like my phone.

I was not able to BT pair my Sena and Zumo.

Here's what I attempted:
0. Turned off my phone's BlueTooth.
1.Turned on the Sena and pressed the Jog Dial for 5 seconds. Observed its red flashing light and heard
“Intercom Pairing”.
2.Within two second, pressed the Sena Phone Button. Sena said “Multipoint Pairing” and I heard two beeps.
3.Turned on the Zumo 660. Touched Tools > Settings > BlueTooth.
4. Pressed "Phone/Change" - observed one button for my phone (LG980) and another for "Add Device".
5. Pressed "Add Device" - Zumo said to put BT device in discover mode (which I think 1,2 did)
6. Zumo said "searching nearby devices", then screen shows my Sena SMH10 v4.2.1 and my Roko in another room.
7. I selected Sena and Pressed OK
8. Very quickly the screen said "Attempting to connect to BT device, BT pass code is 1234" then "BT device connection failed".

I tried the above procedure about 4 times in vain.

I suppose I could try to BT connect my Sena to the Zumo using Touched Tools > Settings > BlueTooth "Audio", but I THINK that might screw up or override my existing BT pair with my motorcycle's audio - which I prefer over the Zumo's (stereo music) option. I recall reading somewhere the headset can only be connected to one stereo (A2DP) device....in which case I'd prefer my headset to continue to be paired to my Sena....I do not need stereo from my GPS.

Sure could use some help on this one! :-[
PS - I've also posted this one on the Zumo forum.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 11:04 am

Garage
Re: Zumo 660 sees Sena SMH10 headset but fails to pair!

I'm afraid you may be out of luck. I'm pretty sure you can only pair two devices to the 660, one phone and one audio. For me I've got the phone and my headset paired to it. Can you connect the headset to the bike and pass through? Basically, phone connected to 660, 660 connected to bike, headset connected to bike. That's the best idea I've got for you, and even if it connects you may not get audio directions from the 660.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 11:29 am

i paired everything to the Zumo and then the Zumo to my headset

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
i paired everything to the Zumo and then the Zumo to my headset
That is what I am trying to do with my phone and headset (mono only), but I want to retain the good, reliable pairing I have now with my headset paired directly to the BMW's BT audio.

What is "everything" you mention? Do you have both a headset and phone connected to the Zumo (both in HFP - not stereo) and your BMW's music? I would not think that would be possible. I thought the Zumo (and most/all other BT devices) would only connect/pair to ONE stereo (aka A2DP) device....but I also thought it would allow more than one HFP device to be paired simultaneously.

For Whiskey, I don't know if it's possible to connect the 660 to the BMW. I wonder if anyone else does. There is a mini-plug input in the RT's "glove box" (I think?) used for plugging in an MP3 player or whatever, but if I used that connected to the audio output on the 660's OEM MC power cable, I don't know what would happen.....looks like I will be doing much more research, drat.

Another option I am saving for last resort is if only one HFP (mono phone) and one Audio (stereo headset) can be paired to the Zumo 660. This is to BT pair the Sena headset and phone to the Zumo, but only use the BMW's audio system in its "speaker" mode instead of BT. Not something that I think would be very useful for me as I always wear ear plugs, and I doubt I could hear the BMW's speaker above 40 mph.

I will continue researching this and report back here......I know I am not the only person dong this. I plan to (try to) call Sena today and also Garmin to see if they can offer any solutions. The research so far implies Garmin only considers riders will need to connect one monaural (Phone) and one stereo device (Audio). If so, like Whiskey said, I am out of luck connecting my devices like I did successfully with my NavIII...seems like something that worked in 2005 ought to work in 2016?

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 8:32 am Thread Starter

I'm the OP. Here are some additional thoughts/comments and questions based on my research this morning......

My priorities -
1. Want to hear GPS directions in my Sena headset using BT
2. Want to hear BMW OEM's audio system (radio, MP3 player, XM radio) in my Sena headset using BT
3. Want to use my phone with my headset using BT.

It seems to me Zumo assumes I want to connect only my phone and my headset, using the Phone and Audio options.
Since I already have a good reliable BT connection between my BMW's audio and my headset (priority 2), I'd like to retain that.
I currently have a working BT connection with my phone and Zumo 660, which is my lowest priority above. I WOULD be willing to give that up to be able to connect my Sena headset to my Zumo, even know that it would be a non Stereo mode (aka HFP or as a second "phone").

I guess I will attempt to un-pair my phone on the Zumo, and then try to replace that pairing with one between my Sena headset and Zumo using multi-point/HFP "Phone". That would mean no more phone calls, but also give me GPS audio to my headset (priority 1). Obviously, the "Audio" option on the Zumo's BT would not be used. However, my BMW's Audio and Sena headset would continue to be paired (priority 2).

Another option SEEMS to be to somehow connect the Zumo's audio out (via the 3.5mm connection) to the BMW's audio in system. This seems to be a Herculean task, with all sorts of complications all over the internet, with tales of woe from folks' frustration with BMW's inability to figure out how to do that. I do not want to spend $200 and several hours just to give me all 3 priorities above.....the three things I have now with my old Nav III and Garmin 2820 units! I bought the Zumo because of it's screen and what I thought were a couple of added capabilities; I am very surprised to see that I was wrong on the latter!

Question: Has anyone figured out how to take the audio out from their Zumo 660 and put that into their BMW's OEM audio system? How did that work? Seems like then I'd only get Zumo navigation prompts if the OEM audio system were turned on? That's a show stopper for that option IMO.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Update: I removed the phone from my Zumo's "Phone" list, then attempted to pair my Sena headset instead. While Zumo found the Sena just fine, it again failed to pair with it. I tried several times. Apparently the Zumo sees the headset as an A2DP device and refuses to pair with it using only the HFP protocol. Rats.

The research continues. I suspect that I could pair my Sena with the Zumo using the "audio" mode, which is what 90% of those with my headset and phone would do, but I want to instead have my BMW OEM audio system paired to my headset, and my headset, as far as I know, will only pair to one A2DP/stereo system. I wish I could figure out how to have two phones or HFP devices pair with my Zumo 660, which is what my older BMW Nav III/Grmin 2820 can do just fine. <sigh.......>

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 11:04 am

Garage

If the BMW audio system has a mini jack input, the wiring harness that comes with the 660 has a mini jack output. I'd suggest plugging the 660 into the BMW audio system that way and see what happens.

If you think the problem is in the Sena, why not contact their support and ask for help?

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 6:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
If the BMW audio system has a mini jack input, the wiring harness that comes with the 660 has a mini jack output. I'd suggest plugging the 660 into the BMW audio system that way and see what happens.

If you think the problem is in the Sena, why not contact their support and ask for help?
I think the problem is with the Zumo 660, not my headset. My Sena headset functions as I want with my older BMW NAV III and Garmin 2820 GPS units.....the Zumo is planned to replace those.

Audio from the 660 to the BMW motorcycle would solve some problems, but create others. For instance, I'd have to have the BMW's audio system on all the time to hear the Zumo, and I want to listen to the BMW audio system's music; I do not believe I could do both simultaneously.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2016, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

I am the Original Poster. Been trying to pair my phone to my Zumo 660 (no problem there), and retain my A2DP pairing between my my BMW R1200RT with OEM Audio motorcycle and my Sena SMH10 headset (has worked fine for around 10 years) - But trying in vain to connect the headset to my Zumo in HFP (aka mono) mode. Note that I have been doing that with other Garmin products, my Garmin/BMW Nav III GPS and my Garmin StreetPilot 2820; both of which are about 10 years old! Went back and forth with Garmin over the last few days. Their comment: Cannot be done; I cannot pair my headset to the Zumo in any mode other than A2DP. So, I have to give up a BT pairing to my headset from the BMW. I will be able to still listen to my BMW's sound system, but ONLY using its speakers; not my helmet. Since I wear a helmet and earplugs, I know I won't be able to hear my BMW's audio system over around 40 mph. I don't believe in blasting my radio around other folks at stop lights, etc, so I'll only be able to rarely use that.

Just thought I'd post this so people understand that they cannot BT pair their headset to their motorcycle/Spyder's audio system and get any audio from their Zumo. According to Garmin it cannot be done.

For anyone interested, I've clipped a portion of Garmin's reply to me:

Thank you for clarifying what you are needing regarding the Bluetooth connection. By design your device has to ways to paring, one is to a phone and the other to a headset. In order to hear any audio from your Garmin Zumo 660LM you must pair it as a headset and not another phone. If your headset is already paired with another audio device then your zumo may not be able to provide proper audio to your headset until you only pair it with the Garmin device in the audio option.

By design, in order to hear any audio (phone calls, music, navigation, etc.) from your device, your headset must be paired to the Garmin device as a headset and not a phone. Please let us know if you have any questions.

PS - I hope the spelling and punctuation errors in Garmin's reply are not indicative to their technical prowess. I did decide to replace my aging Nav III with the newer Zumo mainly because of the larger screen and its simpler operation. But I'm gonna hang onto my Nav III and Garmin 2820 for a while to see how the Zumo works for me.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 20th, 2016, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Just to bring anyone following this up to date......

I installed the Zumo physically and electrically* without incident. So I am now using the Zumo for navigation voice prompts and occasionally for my phone and MP3 music which I have placed on a micro SD card. For radio or the other audio functions my motorcycle provides with its OEM sound system, I can use the bike's speakers. That is nearly useless above about 40 mph, but I very rarely ever listen to the radio (I do not have an Xm/Sirius subscription) so that's not a big deal.

Sound on the Zumo to my Sena headset is okay, not much different from my old system. However, I used my cell phone once, and the quality in my headset was not good at all. The person to whom I was speaker, however, said I was clear. So perhaps it was just one of those cell phone issues that will be better next time.

Operation of the Zumo is a big step up from my older StreetPilot GPS. The screen is easier to read even in daylight, which is nice. And the larger screen size makes my old eyes happy! Operation of the Zumo is a tiny bit more intuitive than my SreetPilot, but not a big deal.

I was using a Garmin/BMW Nav III from my 2006 RT. I cut its power cable from under the dash about 8 inches from the Nav III GPS. There were three wires: red (+), black (-) and purple (?). I simply taped off the purple one to prevent it from grounding. The other two I connected to the Zumo's red and black wires using Posi-lock connectors. Works good. The power to the Zumo cuts off sometime after I switch off the motorcycle. Seems to vary from a couple of minute to maybe 10 minutes? Not sure; don't really care. <g>

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in