Free Navigator III - install - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Free Navigator III - install

I realize that this is a GPS issue, but I'm trying to come to a quick closure on it to provide some direction to my dealer.

I bought a new 2006 LT last month, and the "free" Nav III came in yesterday. The base bike did not have the prep package on it...bought it off the floor. At the time of purchase, the dealer really did not know what he would get from BMW. Based on my conversation today, I am assuming that mine is the first "free" one that came in under the offer to my dealer.

I already had an appt for my 600 mile service tomorrow, but due to the 1.5 hour one-way trip to the dealer, I wanted to do the 600 mile and the GPS install at the same time. After the unit came in, I asked the simple question..."do you have everything that you need to install the unit?" After several discussions, the answer turned out to be no. However the last discussion was headed toward the full replacement of the top panel ($700 part ) and we haven't even talked about labor yet. But the discussion about how you install a Nav III on a non-prep'd bike is still ongoing. I cancelled my 600 for tomorrow until we can figure it out.

I have to believe that with a Nav III in hand, I can get it on the bike for a lot less than $700 plus labor. For those that have put a Nav III (or II) on a non-prep'd bike, what is involved? Shouldn't the dealer know this (standard procedure?) and can't it be done without replacing the top panel? For those that have received the "free" Nav III, with and without the prep option, what was involved and what did it cost you?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I would like to resolve this asap and get the NavIII and 600 mile done. The bike has 510 miles on it, and it's 75 miles to the dealer...so it's going to sit there til I do.

Thanks.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:41 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
I realize that this is a GPS issue, but I'm trying to come to a quick closure on it to provide some direction to my dealer.

I bought a new 2006 LT last month, and the "free" Nav III came in yesterday. The base bike did not have the prep package on it...bought it off the floor. At the time of purchase, the dealer really did not know what he would get from BMW. Based on my conversation today, I am assuming that mine is the first "free" one that came in under the offer to my dealer.

I already had an appt for my 600 mile service tomorrow, but due to the 1.5 hour one-way trip to the dealer, I wanted to do the 600 mile and the GPS install at the same time. After the unit came in, I asked the simple question..."do you have everything that you need to install the unit?" After several discussions, the answer turned out to be no. However the last discussion was headed toward the full replacement of the top panel ($700 part ) and we haven't even talked about labor yet. But the discussion about how you install a Nav III on a non-prep'd bike is still ongoing. I cancelled my 600 for tomorrow until we can figure it out.

I have to believe that with a Nav III in hand, I can get it on the bike for a lot less than $700 plus labor. For those that have put a Nav III (or II) on a non-prep'd bike, what is involved? Shouldn't the dealer know this (standard procedure?) and can't it be done without replacing the top panel? For those that have received the "free" Nav III, with and without the prep option, what was involved and what did it cost you?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I would like to resolve this asap and get the NavIII and 600 mile done. The bike has 510 miles on it, and it's 75 miles to the dealer...so it's going to sit there til I do.

Thanks.
Hello fellow Floridian!
OK here is the deal.
If the dealer did not order the correct Nav III part number 71600420357 it will NOT have the wiring kit and mounting pedestal included.
The number for a prepped LT is 71600420358 and does not have the pedestal, hardware or wiring needed and strange as it may seem THEY BOTH RETAIL FOR THE SAME $$$.
The top panel simply needs a small hole made ( after removing the appropriate tupperware) and running the wires as per the enclosed instructions. It would take me about 4-6 hours working slowly and carefully. You should speak to the owner or call BMW's toll free number if you keep getting jerked around.
P.S. if the bike was purchased during the promo time frame the dealer gets the Nav for free although I am not sure what they get to install it...that is why I would first call BMW toll free (located on the back of your warranty book) and find out what is suppose to be included.

Keep the rubber side down,

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:57 am
Senior Member
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Outside New Braunfels , TX, USA
Posts: 13,451
And I wouldn't worry about running the bike past 600 miles. 1000 miles has been the norm.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grifscoots is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Senior Member
 
BCVBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hanford, CA, USA
Posts: 294
Duane,

Went through EXACTLY the same drama with my LT. I waited a week while BMW of Fresno got all of the widgets/cables together for the FREE NAVIII install. I believe there's a BMW notice out that says Installation is extra. To their credit, BMW of Fresno covered EVERYTHING (Parts and Labor). Good Luck.

Bruce


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BCVBeck is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:16 am
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCVBeck
I believe there's a BMW notice out that says Installation is extra.
This is correct -- I've seen the notice (to protect my dealer -- it wasn't from him ). Installation is "extra"; it's up to your dealer to decide whether he/she can afford to adsorb the cost -- which, BTW, can be signfiicant if you don't DIY: the tech has to remove L&R tipover wing trim, L&R mirrors, under-mirror wings, upper fairing panels, radio "stingray," then disassemble radio housing to remove the upper control panel section to drill the mounting holes for the mount. From there it's a matter of bolting the mount and cradle into place, plug-n-play installation of the NAV III harness, and reassembly of the tupperware.

Easy enough to do in your own garage, but if you want to have the dealer do it, IMO you should be prepared to at least offset some of the couple hours of labor he will have to pay his/her tech for the work.

(FWIW, yes, I believe BMWNA should have been more forthcoming in their adds for the "free" NAV III promotion re: installation. In this response, I'm not taking a position on what BMWNA "should" be doing, just dealing with the facts as they (unfortunately) are.)

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:27 pm
Senior Member
 
kevincook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tully (near Syracuse), NY, USA
Posts: 714
If I had purchased a bike with a free NAV unit I would have assumed that the installation was included unless it was explicitly stated that installation was extra. Either BMW or the dealer should have made this clear to the buyer prior to the purchase.

I guess it depends on how nice you want to be with your dealer.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevincook is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:23 am
Senior Member
 
pkpr1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ringgold, GA, USA
Posts: 3,696
We as consumers have a responsibility to ask questions. I saw the "free" NAV Plus sign at my dealer in Atlanta. Since I am not buying a new bike I don't give a rip about the free Nav System.

This isn't the Army, don't ask and I wont tell!

You gotta ask questions! Is it REALLY free??????????

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pkpr1998 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:00 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
This is correct -- I've seen the notice (to protect my dealer -- it wasn't from him ). Installation is "extra"; it's up to your dealer to decide whether he/she can afford to adsorb the cost -- which, BTW, can be signfiicant if you don't DIY: the tech has to remove L&R tipover wing trim, L&R mirrors, under-mirror wings, upper fairing panels, radio "stingray," then disassemble radio housing to remove the upper control panel section to drill the mounting holes for the mount. From there it's a matter of bolting the mount and cradle into place, plug-n-play installation of the NAV III harness, and reassembly of the tupperware.

Easy enough to do in your own garage, but if you want to have the dealer do it, IMO you should be prepared to at least offset some of the couple hours of labor he will have to pay his/her tech for the work.
Is there some sort of tech bulletin on how to do this or does the technician just need to know it? For a DIY job on this bike...that might be a little more at this stage than I want to think about doing. I'm still trying to find the oil filter.

As for what the cost of install will be...I will need to negotiate that. The promo ad specifies that it comes with mounting hardware....implying at least to me that this is a labor only job.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:35 am
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
Is there some sort of tech bulletin on how to do this or does the technician just need to know it? For a DIY job on this bike...that might be a little more at this stage than I want to think about doing. I'm still trying to find the oil filter.

As for what the cost of install will be...I will need to negotiate that. The promo ad specifies that it comes with mounting hardware....implying at least to me that this is a labor only job.
IIRC, there is a small installation instruction booklet; you may want to check with your dealer/service manager to see whether he has one you can glance at. As a practical matter, other than for determining the location of the four base mounting holes, a qualified tech doesn't need much in the way of written help with this install.

And don't worry about not finding the oil filter -- it's hidden in the sump above that big round cover in the oil pan See the tech article Oil Change 101, at the Articles link (in the banner bar above) for details.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:21 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
IIRC, there is a small installation instruction booklet; you may want to check with your dealer/service manager to see whether he has one you can glance at. As a practical matter, other than for determining the location of the four base mounting holes, a qualified tech doesn't need much in the way of written help with this install.
Thanks. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that either the Dealer steps up to do this at minimum charge, or I do it myself at a later date when I have learned more about working on the bike. I'm still shooting for the former, but realize that my only true leverage would have been to get installation into the original sales agreement...I just thought that I already had it. I have the Clymer version maintenance manual on its way and planned on getting the CD's later...but maybe sooner now.

It's interesting that the promo headline was "Your new BMW bike now comes with a Co-pilot"....I guess it just doesn't come with a place for him to sit.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:24 am
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
It's interesting that the promo headline was "Your new BMW bike now comes with a Co-pilot"....I guess it just doesn't come with a place for him to sit.
ROTFLMAO! Best line of the morning so far! Keep that up and you'll fit in well here in the asylum

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:10 pm
Senior Member
 
BCVBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hanford, CA, USA
Posts: 294
How about I fax/scan/email the instructions from my install to you? Not too much there but it might help. Let me know.

Bruce


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BCVBeck is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:47 pm
Senior Member
 
varoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outside Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
ROTFLMAO! Best line of the morning so far! Keep that up and you'll fit in well here in the asylum
Duane, I'm w/ Mark - I had tears in my eyes - even the wife laughed when I told her about your post. Good thing you can keep your sense of humor!

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room
varoom is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:34 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Latest from BMW

I received a snail mail from BMW Motorrad USA yesterday dated Sept 15...I guess it's farther than I thought from Jersey to Florida. Both the street and the city name were misspelled.

Here are the highlights:
"Congratulations on your 2006 K 1200 LT purchase.

Your new Navigator III GPS is in route to your selling dealer.....The BMW Motorrad Navigator III comes as a complete package with a model specific motorcycle mounting bracket, wiring harness, and complete maps of North America. Also included are a bean bag mount....

The BMW Navigator III complete package is absolutely free as part of your 2006 K 1200 LT. Installation is not part of the Navigator III offer. (Your selling dealer) can provide you with more details about the installation."

The underlined text was in the letter. Obviously there has been some confusion on the matter by many.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:46 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
I received a snail mail from BMW Motorrad USA yesterday dated Sept 15...I guess it's farther than I thought from Jersey to Florida. Both the street and the city name were misspelled.

Here are the highlights:
"Congratulations on your 2006 K 1200 LT purchase.

Your new Navigator III GPS is in route to your selling dealer.....The BMW Motorrad Navigator III comes as a complete package with a model specific motorcycle mounting bracket, wiring harness, and complete maps of North America. Also included are a bean bag mount....

The BMW Navigator III complete package is absolutely free as part of your 2006 K 1200 LT. Installation is not part of the Navigator III offer. (Your selling dealer) can provide you with more details about the installation."

The underlined text was in the letter. Obviously there has been some confusion on the matter by many.
Best of luck with the install!
Iv'e got my NAV III installed and the good news is it is a peachy unit custom built for the bike and the voice prompts, radio, headset integration work flawlessly...they even designed just enough room for the "NASSUA SPACE AGE CUP HOLDER"

Keep the rubber side down!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:31 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Don't believe everything you read on BMW letterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
I received a snail mail from BMW Motorrad USA yesterday dated Sept 15...I guess it's farther than I thought from Jersey to Florida. Both the street and the city name were misspelled.

Here are the highlights:
"Congratulations on your 2006 K 1200 LT purchase.

Your new Navigator III GPS is in route to your selling dealer.....The BMW Motorrad Navigator III comes as a complete package with a model specific motorcycle mounting bracket, wiring harness, and complete maps of North America. Also included are a bean bag mount....

The BMW Navigator III complete package is absolutely free as part of your 2006 K 1200 LT. Installation is not part of the Navigator III offer. (Your selling dealer) can provide you with more details about the installation."

The underlined text was in the letter. Obviously there has been some confusion on the matter by many.
I spoke with the dealer a few minutes ago regarding the above. They indicated that they had looked at the job and needed to order the mounting bracket and wiring harness to do the install. I then read them exactly what was on the letter. They indicated that they did not yet open up the box to be sure what was in it, and did so while I was on the phone. No model specific mounting bracket and no wiring harness.

So I called BMW in Jersey. I spoke with their motorcycle guy about the Nav III promotion, what the dealer had received, and then read him verbatim what the letter said. His first words were that no mounting hardware or harness was included, and want to know who sent me that letter. After carefully walking him through it, he understood that BMW Motorrad in New Jersey had indeed done so. Now it was time to change the story... the "model specific mounting bracket" was just the standard mounting bracket that comes with all Nav III's and the wiring harness refers to the USB cable to connect to your PC. I asked how this was "model specific"..no answer. At this point I understood the waste of time that my phone call was becoming.

At least I have a great GPS in case I want to take my laptop out for a spin.

I already told the dealer that I would take whatever they got in with my name on it, and deal with it on my own. For the time being it can go in the car for trips. Once I have it I will figure out what other parts I need and how I want to mount it....may do the shelf thing instead.

Interesting personal welcome to BMW Motorrad USA. Having it in writing doesn't even mean much, but I've read the other stories on this board so was not too surprised.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
The saga continues, but looking up

I received an unsolicited call from the manager at the dealer this morning. He had further researched the Nav III story. Bottom line is that he offered me the installation pieces as a kit at his cost (yes they come as a kit for much less) and will express them in so they can do the job on Saturday when I get the 600 mile service done. My cost will end up being the kit and a current estimated two hours of labor. I'll report back next week when the job is done.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 5:12 pm
Senior Member
 
kevincook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tully (near Syracuse), NY, USA
Posts: 714
I'm just curious. If you purchased a bike with the Nav III already installed would if have actually been free then? Or does the dealer always do the installation of the Nav III units?

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevincook is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:48 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I'm just curious. If you purchased a bike with the Nav III already installed would if have actually been free then? Or does the dealer always do the installation of the Nav III units?

Thanks,
Kevin
The Nav III is an accessorry, not an option per se. If you actually purchased it, and more importantly had the Nav III prep option, then there still is an install required for the mounting bracket...however it is a pretty simple do it yourself installation.

My problem was that my bike has no prep option. So the bike needs additional work to accomodate the "free" Nav III. The Nav III prep setup is now standard on the 2007 models.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuart, Florida, USA
Posts: 293
Nav III installed

The install was done Saturday. Per our agreement in advance the dealer charged me for the bracket and for two hours labor. Bottom line for the free Nav III - $241 with tax.

Now for the rest of the story. I arrived at the dealer when they opened at 9 AM and left when they closed at almost 4 PM. Long day. The 600 mile service took up most of the first hour, and the lead tech had some other commitments that pulled him away for a few minutes every now and then. But this ended up being more of a job than anticipated. As indicated in previous posts, you do have to take off all of the tupperware from the bumpers up....mirrors, deflectors, bumpers and panels. And you have to remove the stingray and disassemble to drill the holes. Lots of wires to disconnect, but fortunately all are unique harnesses (the tech, to his credit allowed me to watch much of this..which was a tremendous learning experience). So you've mounted the bracket on the radio cover, connected one harness for the plug and play and think you are on the way back...but your not. Early in the instructions it tells you that if you have the comm system that you have to fish out a separate connection from under the dash. Did that. But how you rather abruptly find out that the plug on the Nav harness does not fit that plug....not even close. Is there an adapter? Do you have the wrong harness? Phone calls are made. No help in the instructions....after the first reference to changes to accomodate the comm system, no more are included anywhere. Fortunately the connector that didn't match up was the power one, not the sound signal one to he comm system. After realizing that there was no option, the tech ended up running a separate power lead from a power outlet. And that wasn't simple either (2 hots on the Nav harness connection...which one to use?) But finally after a blown fuse and some other minor twists, got it.

Tupperware back on, rode home. Amazing little box. 3-D view maps, routing with all sorts of options, and restaurants and hotels all over the continent. Took it off the bike and spent a couple of hours playing with it after I got home. Only one piece of advice...make sure you turn down the volume, as it comes from the factory preset at 100%....a bit louder that you want.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Duane_in_Florida is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:18 pm
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9
Garmin III

well I got mine after about 30 days. the wiring had already been done on mines because they (the dealer) had a Garmin II sitting on it on the floor. they tried to get me to take the II and I said I'll wait. so all I had to do was put it on the bike. My ? is there any other way to hear the gps or phone or acc. other than headset?

Last edited by SIX0R9; Oct 13th, 2006 at 12:19 pm. Reason: spelling
SIX0R9 is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, CA, USA
Posts: 21
Hi,

I have two items of interest...

1) Kind of off topic, but; my dealer told me that 600-1000 miles for the first service is standard.

2) I just had my Navigator III installed on my new R1200RT two days ago. It is sweet. Very well designed and easy to use.

The service manager originally wanted to charge me about 1 hour for the installation. I quickly directed him to the sales manager. The sales manager was going to deduct about $100 off the bike if I installed the GPS myself. That leads me to believe that the installation is part of the deal. I can't imagine what $700 part would need to be replaced.

I would get into the sales manager's office and ask him to work it out. A premium bike should have premium customer support.
wpeloqui is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 2:29 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeloqui
1) Kind of off topic, but; my dealer told me that 600-1000 miles for the first service is standard.
Yep -- 600 (i.e., ~1000km) is the specified initial break-in, but most techs I've talked to say longer is ok, maybe even better, out to ~1000mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeloqui
I can't imagine what $700 part would need to be replaced
They had to be talking about the entire upper half of the radio housing (the "stingray") -- but even that wouldn't make sense, because the only part that gets drilled is the removable cover on top of the section that overhangs the steering head.

It's pretty clear from what's been related here that, if accurate relayed, they didn't have a clue as to what was required, and were (inexcusably, IMO) winging it.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 4:28 pm
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9
Free ???????

well I got the Garmin yesterday and the letter from BMW today that was written on Sept 25th mail on the 11th. it says Garmin free installion cost
they should tell you that in between the lines. Sorry everybody not exprienceing the same fate Final Word.
p.s. the instruction are in German, it came with everything but the bike pedestal that the garmin sits on I wonder how much that cost?

Last edited by SIX0R9; Oct 13th, 2006 at 4:32 pm. Reason: left out important stuff
SIX0R9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Program to record MP3 from the Inet? BecketMa iPod/MP3 9 Sep 25th, 2006 2:50 pm
PIAA 1100x Electrical Install Safedog K1200LT 2 Aug 31st, 2006 4:01 pm
SmarTire Install questions.. jackd Other Stuff 8 May 31st, 2006 11:08 am
Factory Top Trunk Luggage Rack Install Crestwood330 K1200LT 7 Jan 2nd, 2006 8:57 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome