2610 & Condensation inside - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 4:16 am Thread Starter

2610 & Condensation inside

I have a 2610 (05 Nav II) that appears to have some condensation inside on the back side of the screen. It only appears on cool damp days and measures aprox. 3/4" x 2 1/4". When the moisture appears, it's imposable to see any info behind it. Anyone run into this or have a solution? I had a similar problem with a fish locator and was not able to fix the problem. In fact, once the case seal was broken, the condensation problem only got worse. I tried dried dry caned air, desiccant, etc... I ended up buying a new fish locator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandelf
I have a 2610 (05 Nav II) that appears to have some condensation inside on the back side of the screen. It only appears on cool damp days and measures aprox. 3/4" x 2 1/4". When the moisture appears, it's imposable to see any info behind it. Anyone run into this or have a solution? I had a similar problem with a fish locator and was not able to fix the problem. In fact, once the case seal was broken, the condensation problem only got worse. I tried dried dry caned air, desiccant, etc... I ended up buying a new fish locator.
I think several people have had this problem and Garmin has replaced the units with new ones. I think they actually replaced them with new and improved models. Give Garmin a call everyone says their customer support is fantastic.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:33 am

@ Gandelf

I'm on my third one now and the problem is worse than the first two. Check the similar threads at the bottom of this page..there is an artice on the vents being closed when mounted in the BMW mount and also the RAM mount. Garmin told me these vents NEED to be open. One member tried a warm hairdryer in the card slot and also drilled a one millimetre hole so the air could get to the vent holes when mounted on a motorcycle, but not sure how he got on.

post #4 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
@ Gandelf

I'm on my third one now and the problem is worse than the first two.
Hi Malki,do you know how long the warrantee period is - I have a Navigator II (aka 2620) It occasionally gets a strip of condescension (!) across the middle o the display - mostly on hot days. Garmins guarantee is normally 1 year,but, as it is labelled BMW, I would have thought it would be the same length as the bikes ??

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #5 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:45 am

I purchased a 2610 (new) earlier this year. I had the same condensation problem and also a problem with my map screen going to zoom mode at will. I send Garmin an e-mail and got a reply to send it in for repairs. So, it is on the way. Garmin said to expect a 7-10 day turnaound on the unit. Basically, same problem, still in my 1 yr warranty period, Garmin to repair.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #6 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:05 pm

@ Woolly

Mine was purchased as a Garmin unit from a Garmin dealer and has a one year warranty. I'm just fed up sending it back and forth...will get to it eventually. Dealer has been brilliant sending me a new one before I return the faulty one, but even he is getting pissed off with this routine.

IMHO it's a design fault with this particular body shape of unit. How can it be waterproof when you can see the guts of the thing when the card is removed. Friend has a 2820 with same fault, also on his 3rd unit

Garmin also admitted on the phone that the BMW mount and Ram mounts were a 'bad' design not allowing the vent holes to be open when mounted on a motorcycle. Their words 'Not ideal' & 'Bad design' again, vent holes and waterproof don't compute in the same sentence ?

Not sure what warranty BMW will give you on the unit, but if it came with the bike and the bike has more than that, then go for it. Not sure if Insurance based warranty would cover it though.

@ rdtebeau

My unit has a mind of it's own. It keeps changing from 'track up' to 'track north' , far zoom instead of local, even had to turn of the infra-red because when the sun hits it, everything goes haywire and constantly beeps in helmet.

I AM A GARMIN FAN and have been for years, but this particular unit, to me, is a piece of junk soon to be traded in for sometihnge else.

Last edited by Malki; Sep 22nd, 2006 at 12:13 pm. Reason: Additional information.
post #7 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 1:46 pm

Quote:
@ rdtebeau

My unit has a mind of it's own. It keeps changing from 'track up' to 'track north' , far zoom instead of local, even had to turn of the infra-red because when the sun hits it, everything goes haywire and constantly beeps in helmet.
bout a year ago, I put a piece of black insulating tape over the IR sensor on my 2620 - no probs after that. Last week, in Norway, bout a year later, I thought sunlight would not actully have a coded IR sequence that could change the display - took the tape off, and it's gone baresk again - only when the sun is behind me, and catching on the IR receiver - as an electronic engineer, I cannot figure how this is happening

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #8 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:40 pm

@ Woolly

I thought about the black tape thingy, but just turned off the IR instead. Bad news when we think we are 'upgrading', in my case from an Ultra reliable SPIII, to this! Makes me wonder if I'll spend the big money on the next upgrade...Zumo perhaps...might wait a while for Bluetooth to catch up to speed. Having said that the 2610 was good on a near 4000 mile trip recently, and the condensation disappeared in the sunnier countries, but returned during the damp rainy ones.
Spoke to a rider yesterday who had a 2820 and a new BMW system 5 helmet and was having nothing but problems with the Bluetooth, although he was really happy with the expensive helmet (£500) quiet, comfortable Etc. although no dark flip down visor that others have. Maybe I'm being too fussy
post #9 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:52 pm

I'm very pleased with the extra buttons on the BM mount - easier to operate with gloves on I only seem to get the condensation on hot, dry sunny days - opposite to you (piccy taken on last weeks Norway trip (10K miles!!))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	6957  

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #10 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:39 pm

I had a problem with my 2610 where it had a dent in the screen (my fault). It actually got so bad riding in the rain using the touch screen the thin layer of water that would get in woud skirt up the screen and trigger one of th other icons and it became a real agravation. As soon as it was dry for a couple of hours it would work fine again. I wrote to Garmin and they said to send it in for a repair since moisture was now getting under the protective plastic. Since it was going to run 200+ for the repair (out of warranty by several months) I figured no harm opening it to see what was there. I peeled off the thin layer of cellophane over the screen and got some clear packing tape (Staples). I then layed it over the screen, put dialectric grease on the two rubber gaskets, reassembled and it has been trouble free for the last three months. I have driven through torrential rains, camped and woken up with moisture covering the windshield and seats yet, the garmin remains working as good as new. Hope this info may help those out of warranty. BTW it sat on the BMW console mounting location with the Garmin motorcycle mount until about a week ago when I moved it up to the BMR shelf.

-Bob

-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
post #11 of 27 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:37 pm

I'm having a condensation problem with my 2730. Started after 2 months.
Garmin has provided with an RA but I haven't sent it back yet. Reading these posts I'm not sure I want to. It does go away after 30-45 minutes.
Obviously a problem with 26xx/27xx series.
post #12 of 27 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:19 pm

Update

I sold my LT the other day and installed the 2730 on my GL1800. I used the Ram reservoir mount and Garmins' cradle (same cradle I used on the LT).
Surprise...3 times out and NO condensation! So I'm wondering if the problem on the LT is related to mounting location. I had a co-pilot shelf below the windshield. Could heat and moisture have gotten trapped? Too much heat magnified by the windshield? Not sure. Can only tell you that I haven't had a problem with the unit mounted on the left side reservoir of the Wing.
post #13 of 27 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:29 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Condensation Cure (for me)

Hi Malki, yep as per an earlier post, I did drill a hole through the adjustable rear mount hinge on my Nav II. Only 0.3 mm so very small and exits the molded fitting right in the middle of the existing 4 already in the units back. Works a treat and to date no further problems with condensation. I agree that although the BMW mount with its extra buttons is good, it does restrict the venting of these 4 holes. The hair dryer over the unit (low heat for around 30 mins, 12 inches or more distance) with the CF door open must have also helped, but that was months ago now, so I can only assume my extra vent hole is still working.
Also had troubles with random IR inputs due to low sun angles from behind, covered the IR port with black tape cut to shape, and then got the nod from this board on how to disable this feature with the drop down menu. Very happy since, but have retained the tape, which is undetectable anyway. HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #14 of 27 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:18 am

Thanks Hilton - says Malki searching for a 0.3mm drill
post #15 of 27 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:19 am

I am having the same problem and have never used the BMW or any other mount - just the Garmin mount. My unit is about two years old and I just received an RMA # from Garmin to return it. I'll let you know how they resolve the issue, new or repair. Warranty (design defect) or my dime.
post #16 of 27 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:24 am

My money is on a design defect, but they will never admit to it. There are just way too many complaints from just about every model in this body shape range. I'm just plucking up the courage to do as Hilton did with the drill on my still under warranty 2610.
Even my Garmin dealer is fed up sending his own 2820 back for repair.

The service from Garmin is good enough, and they honour the warranties, it's just the incovenience of 2 weeks each time without our expensive toys. I'd be lost without mine
post #17 of 27 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Drill from the inside to the outside

Quote:
Thanks Hilton - says Malki searching for a 0.3mm drill
Malki, I don't believe the exact drill size would matter, just small < 1mm. I chose one to match the existing 4. Unscrew the small cross head screw holding the mounting flap in place to allow it to open, then from the inside you will see the raised plastic moulding that centers onto the existing 4 holes. Drill through that towards the outside. The photos from my earlier post show what I mean. The worst I can imagine is that a tiny dollop of silicon will seal the hole again if you are not happy with the mod. HTH

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #18 of 27 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Hi Malki,do you know how long the warrantee period is - I have a Navigator II (aka 2620) It occasionally gets a strip of condescension (!) across the middle o the display - mostly on hot days. Garmins guarantee is normally 1 year,but, as it is labelled BMW, I would have thought it would be the same length as the bikes ??
Hi Brian,

I learned from Garmin marketing manager Mike Sheehan at CCR that the BMW-labeled Garmin units have a THREE year guarantee.
I just got a replacement as my 2 year 1 month old Nav II peeled off the touch screen protective film. They gave me a Nav III instead

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #19 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 6:07 am

I am sending my 2610 back on an RMA this Monday as mentioned above primarily for the fogging issue but will riding last weekend also notice that the unit takes off by itself as if someone touched the screen with the LARGE ARROW on the left and the TABS dissapearing. QUIT brings it back temporarily but it persisted for about 200 miles - in direct sun light! When the temps dropped, it worked flawlessly again.
post #20 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:00 am

2720 condensation problem

The problem may be due to the body style of these units. I just sent my 2720 back yesterday for the 2nd time due to the condensation problem. I use Garmins motorcycle mount mounted on the post that BMW installs for their Nav system right above the radio. I ran my STIII in the same location without any condensation problems in many heavy wet conditions. So far they have been good about sending me a new unit and I told them I was going to continue to keep sending them back until I get one that does not leak.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #21 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Good news, my wife ran across some canned air (CleanSafe brand dust remover) that states on the can it's "Moisture-Free". I removed the compact flash card and gave it a 30 second slooow shot through the card slot. If this is done too fast, propellant WILL be dispensed inside your gps. Not good. I have had NO condensation in my gps since. I have tried canned air before (gps & fish locator) which did not solve the problem, BUT those cans of air did not state they where moisture free. I'm in IT, so I have used a lot of canned air in the past and just assumed it was moisture free since the product is intended to be used on sensitive electronic equipment.
post #22 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Good idea! I would think that the canned air used by photographers would have to be "moisture free" as well! If there is a design issue as I would expect, the problem will return. It took over a year and a half for mine to have that problem and the first year I had it I bet 60% of my riding was in wet conditions. I always used the original mount that came with my 2610 and it was mounted on the stingray with velcro.
I would think you would get the same effect by baking it in the over at 125F for a couple of hours. It should easily take that since it bakes in the sun for hours at at lease that internally while riding. Thoughts?
post #23 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 2:40 am

Quote:
How do you turn off the IR on a NavII+ (2620) ??

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #24 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 5:01 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Just keep pushing buttons OR

IIRC It's menu-options-general then menu-disable remote HTH

Or just cut a piece of black electrical tape to shape and stick it over the IR window on the left. I left it in place as well as the menu option as it is almost invisible

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
IIRC It's menu-options-general then menu-disable remote HTH

Or just cut a piece of black electrical tape to shape and stick it over the IR window on the left. I left it in place as well as the menu option as it is almost invisible
Thanks for that, Hilton. I tried looking at all the various options, but I never found that sub-menu. How did you find out about it, and are there any more 'hidden' menus??

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #26 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile It's In There

"Thanks for that, Hilton. I tried looking at all the various options, but I never found that sub-menu."
Hi Brian, just fired up the Nav II.
Turn it on. Press the menu button, I pressed and use the "Use Indoors setting"
Press the same menu button again, then press the "Options" choice.
Its in the same window as the choice to use indoors.
Left most tab is "General" With that highlighted showing Colour Scheme,Voice
Attention Tone etc press the menu button again. Comes up with Reset Settings, Enable Remote, (as mine is already disabled) etc.

"How did you find out about it, and are there any more 'hidden' menus??"
From the font of all knowledge of course. This site ! :-)
HTH

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #27 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 3:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Thanks for that, Hilton. I tried looking at all the various options, but I never found that sub-menu. How did you find out about it, and are there any more 'hidden' menus??
I actually meant I had not found it before your reply!! After your post, went out to the garage and disabled it. Thanks again - shall try it tommorrow on a trip up the north Northumberland coast (the weather here is mad - mid Oct. and still 20 deg. C(and no salt on the roads ))

• MB SLK 350 MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in