Nav V versus iPhone for GPS/music via Sena BT headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Scubadoc
  • 1 Post By Scubadoc
  • 5 Post By gerhard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Nav V versus iPhone for GPS/music via Sena BT headset

Howdy,

I'm on the fence on a dedicated GPS for x-country touring versus my iPhone 5 for music/GPS using GoogleMaps w/voice guided nav prompts. I know about the wonder wheel control that will come w/ Nav V on a new RTW which is OTW now, but between complaints of glare in the RTW mounting location which otherwise looks to be ideally located, and wondering what Nav V will add from a practical perspective--i.e., what people actually DO with all of that technology--it does make me wonder if people find it a ultimately useful enough to justify the high cost--as much as a new iPhone for example.

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Re: Nav V versus iPhone for GPS/music via Sena BT headset

The tie breaker may be the lack of cellular service in some areas, hence making your iPhone useless for your purpose.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
The tie breaker may be the lack of cellular service in some areas, hence making your iPhone useless for your purpose.
OK I remember now. With GoogleMaps you would have to preload maps to get its GPS chip to work w/o cell service, but that's a bit of hassle depending on how big maps you can preload would be. Thanks.

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Howdy,

I'm on the fence on a dedicated GPS for x-country touring versus my iPhone 5 for music/GPS using GoogleMaps w/voice guided nav prompts. I know about the wonder wheel control that will come w/ Nav V on a new RTW which is OTW now, but between complaints of glare in the RTW mounting location which otherwise looks to be ideally located, and wondering what Nav V will add from a practical perspective--i.e., what people actually DO with all of that technology--it does make me wonder if people find it a ultimately useful enough to justify the high cost--as much as a new iPhone for example.

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinion.
Cons of iPhone: Needs the charging cable if you are going to use it x-country. Not all that easy to see in daylight conditions. Screen may go to sleep, necessitating a tap with conductive gloves. Still need to mount it on the bike. Will not give you motorcycle routing, only fastest or shortest routes using Google algorithms.
Pros of Nav5: Very flexible routing using Basecamp. Reasonably easy to see unless the bright sun is between 4 and 8 o'clock. Integrates with the iPhone for phone calls and shows caller ID. Garmin iPhone App gives traffic information, great weather information, local restaurant, gas station and lodging info for every exit or off-ramp.
If you are seriously going to do a x-country trip, having the Nav5 conveniently located on the dash seems to me to be a no-brainer.
There are multiple other advantages of using the Nav5, and you should take a look at the user manual and reviews on this and other MC forums.
mervingry likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadoc View Post
If you are seriously going to do a x-country trip, having the Nav5 conveniently located on the dash seems to me to be a no-brainer.
Ouch, severe arm pain from the twisting! Nav V it be!

Ed, my riding partner brother who just got introduced to GPS on an MC (390LM) is using Basecamp to map out many potential routes along a basic master route. How hard is to do basic routes directly into Nav V w/o relying on Basecamp? I ask because beyond Golden CO, we hope to be deciding the next day's route in the evening time the day before based on a bunch of factors, in which case we won't have a computer to work with to use Basecamp.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 5:26 am

Quote:

Ed, my riding partner brother who just got introduced to GPS on an MC (390LM) is using Basecamp to map out many potential routes along a basic master route. How hard is to do basic routes directly into Nav V w/o relying on Basecamp? I ask because beyond Golden CO, we hope to be deciding the next day's route in the evening time the day before based on a bunch of factors, in which case we won't have a computer to work with to use Basecamp.
It is easy to do basic point-to-point routing and let the Garmin do all the work according to its internal algorithm You just set up your basic preferences in the settings, such as avoid tolls, ferries, unpaved roads. You can also set calculation modes such as fastest route, shortest route, curvy roads. This will get you to where you want to go. If you are going to plan next days route the night before, the best way to do it is to pre-plan using a good map of tne area.
Have a good trip.
mervingry likes this.

Ed

post #7 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 8:50 am

Quote:

I forgot to mention Butler motorcycle maps for daily trip planning. They cost about$15/map and are designed exclusively for motorcycle trip planning. They cover most of the Western states and are slowly moving Eastward.
Motorcycle Maps & Motorcycle Routes | Butlermaps.com

Ed

post #8 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 11:53 am

Hi,

We get that question a lot. I did a bit of writing for our blog about some of the pros and cons and what to consider when you are deciding. Maybe this will help. ~Tracey

Navigation: Should you Use your Phone or Get a GPS Unit? - Leader Motorcycle Store
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 12:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadthepack View Post
Hi,

We get that question a lot. I did a bit of writing for our blog about some of the pros and cons and what to consider when you are deciding. Maybe this will help. ~Tracey

Navigation: Should you Use your Phone or Get a GPS Unit? - Leader Motorcycle Store
That click was the biggest waste of time, inaccurate info just to get someone to land on your page?

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in