Deal on Lowrance iWAY 500c - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:41 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Deal on Lowrance iWAY 500c

Fry's online (Outpost.com) currently has the Lowrance iWAY 500c GPS on sale for $549.99. Lowrance is also offering a $100 rebate through the end of September. That makes it $460.84 with ground shipping to anywhere in the US.

This unit is waterproof, has a large 5" screen, has the entire US map set loaded, and has an extra 10 Gig of memory to use with its built-in mp3 player.

Note that the Fry's store locations still show the unit at $799 retail, minus the $100 rebate. I just ordered one, but according to my local Fry's store, the website has 96 of these left (hence the great deal).

Hope that helps someone who was considering this unit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hope that helps someone who was considering this unit.
Offering "help" would be talking the poor soul outta this unit . . . not posting sales for it!

So...how many did you buy?! Umm...that's what I thought!
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
So...how many did you buy?! Umm...that's what I thought!
Hey Joe, I think you may have wasted your money on that Evelyn Woodhead speed reading course because the non-evil Ken Meese said he just ordered one .

My iWay 500c performed very well on my 8900 mile CCR trip . I know there were a number of issues with them early on but version 1.7 of the firmware resolves most of them. I had a handful of times I had to reset my unit during my month on the road and it always recovered within 30 seconds. It's route calculation speed has been greatly improved and off route recalculations are very fast even with large routes.

It's 5" display is fully daylight readable and easy on the eyes. The screen is large enough that I don't really miss not having a simple method to import routes from Street Atlas or other PC based mapping software. The user interface is pretty good once you break out of the Garmin mentality and there are a number of user developed skins that may or may not improve it depending on personal preferences.

Every time my iPod/Ice-Link locked up the 10GB of MP3s I had loaded on my 500c came in very handy. I took advantage of a previous $100 rebate opportunity and in my opinion it is a lot of GPS for under $500.00. I have three Garmin handheld GPS units and I never thought I would buy another brand but I do not regret buying the iWay 500c. For me it had the right feature set at the right price. Of course YMMV.

There are a lot of fine GPS units on the market. Garmin certainly covers all the bases and they are the standard others are compared with. For many that is reason enough to purchase a Garmin and I personally don't think you can go wrong with any Garmin product or their customer service. The iWay 500c happened fit my needs perfectly and for me it has proven to be a good performer.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Hey Joe, I think you may have wasted your money on that Evelyn Woodhead speed reading course because the non-evil Ken Meese said he just ordered one .
Naw. At that bargain price, I would've supected Ken to buy several.
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One less . . .

Just purchased!
Any suggestiongs on mounting?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Disregard request for Mounting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Just purchased!
Any suggestions on mounting?
Found prior threads!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:39 pm

It is designed to work with RAM mounts though it is probably adaptable to other systems. Here is one thread that shows mounting it on the center of a BMR shelf. I have mine mounted in a similar fashion.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=500c+mount

Here are a couple pictures of my setup. The one going down the road is the closest thing I have to a riders view. I actually look just over the top of the windshield so this picture is taken at a little lower height than my eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00003 resized.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	6839   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC01089 resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	6840  

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Last edited by jwd98056; Sep 18th, 2006 at 1:44 pm.
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Joe, Joe, Joe. I ride a BMW and use Macs, so why would I go with the "Windows" of GPS units?

Garmin makes some fine products, but the screens are too small, and they don't have Mac software so laptop route planning doesn't really matter. Plus my current GPS has a 5.8" screen and no laptop interface, so I was looking for something similar, but faster and smaller overall (gotta be able to transfer it to the GT eventually). Plus it has a feature I've not seen in Garmin: load several waypoints, and let the GPS put them in the most efficient order (great for rallies).

I looked at the TomTom units as well. They make a Go 910 unit that has a wider touch screen, great resolution, bluetooth phone interface, all US, Canada and Europe maps pre-loaded, and a built-in iPod controller. The two negatives were no waterproofing (which I could have gotten around) and a very poor mounting system.

I figure the iWay will suit me just fine, and the price was great. In a year or so, I'll see what they've come out with and maybe upgrade again.

So when are you gonna learn to think for yourself and not just follow the "Me, too!" crowd?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:17 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Nice pics, Jim. Did you make your own sun shade, and do you really find it necessary?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Ken, Thanks for posting about the Lowrance. I just ordered one.

I don't care what Joe says about ya, your all right with me.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:00 pm

It is actually a Velcro style sun shade for a Garmin and I just added Velcro to the rim of the iWay 500c. You probably don't really need one as the screen is quite good in sun light. The only time the sun is a problem is when the screen is reflecting the sun directly back into your eyes. A common problem for just about any GPS unit with a display. I got this shade in a grab bag of stuff in the classifieds forum and thought I would try it.

I also used a Gilsson amplified external antenna but I am not sure how necessary that is either. I will say the only time I lost a track was inside long tunnels. Spearfish Canyon, Hell's Canyon and heavy woods were no problem. I don't know if I would have had the same result without it or not. Looking at the Satellite Status display the signal levels increased by about 1/3 of the bar height when the external antenna was connected. Then again with all the time I spent in Search and Rescue I became somewhat anal retentive about stuff like this.

My mounting solution for my external antenna was pretty low tech. My radar detector is a plastic Radar Box from Legal Speeding so I cut out the bottom of a coffee can, cut it to the shape I wanted, painted it black and used Velcro to attach it to the top of the Radar Box. This let's me use the antenna magnetic mount and the metal in the coffee can lid provides a good ground plane for the GPS antenna. Total cost $0.87, enjoyment value I get when people ask me what it is - priceless.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #12 of 22 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:13 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks, Jim. I may go with an external antenna as well. Hate to loose reception and get screwy data (like a top speed somewhere over 200 mph ).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:05 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
My iWAY arrived a few days ago. I've been playing with it in the living room. I need to get a fuse and figure out where I'm going to mount it on the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:14 am

I put mine on that little shelf that goes across the stringray (BMR?) Put a RAM ball on the shelf with a bit of foam gasket to keep vibrations down.
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:26 am
was

Another mounting option is to use the top half of the RAM handlebar mount that comes with the unit. The spacing of the holes is exactly the same as the spacing of the front screws that hold down the clutch fluid reservoir cover. I think the screws are M5, but I can't remember for sure. Two longer cap screws and washers replace the cover screws, thus mounting the RAM ball and holding down the cover at the same time. This places the iWay within inches of the left hand and makes it easy to reach over with the right hand as well. I ran a separate fused power line from the battery to a distribution box in the forward area, then ran the iWay power cord beneath the handlebar covers. The unit as mounted does block a sliver of the inside portion of the left rearview mirror given my viewing angle, but it is not bothersome to me.

A word of caution: my unit, at least, is nowhere near being "waterproof" or even weather resistant. 10 minutes in a mild rain locked it up completely, to the point that I could not even turn it off, had to pull the plug. It did dry out and resume functioning, but now I travel with a baggie and cover it if it even looks like it might rain. Someday I'll run a bead of silicon around the cover where the front and back mate up, but I'm not optimistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iWay Rear View.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7184   Click image for larger version

Name:	iWay Side View.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7185   Click image for larger version

Name:	iWay Front View.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	7186  

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:58 am

Garmin Zumo

Garmin has come out with the "Zumo" model just for motorcycles. Has anybody had the experience of trying one yet?
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 9:28 am

Wow! Mine has been through many rains and has never had an issue, other than the touch screen activation when I try and wipe the water off the screen
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:40 pm

Bill, I thought about that mounting on my GT and am concerned the weight of the 500c might damage the cover. At 3lbs that is a heap of weight getting thrown around. Have you used the cover mount before with a load equal to the GPS? Just curious.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:46 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Bill, I thought about that mounting on my GT and am concerned the weight of the 500c might damage the cover. At 3lbs that is a heap of weight getting thrown around. Have you used the cover mount before with a load equal to the GPS? Just curious.
Hey Darrel. I have not used the cover mount with anything other than the GPS, but the GPS unit has been on there for more than a year now. I was more than a little concerned about the weight too, especially as it is cantelevered out on the RAM arm. Initially I used the RAM 1 inch arm to try to cut down on the levered upward force on the screws, but I needed more clearance to be able to use the left side mirror. I frequently checked for any sign of stripping the threads on the screws after I went to the 3 inch arm, and so far no problem that I have noticed, but someday it may pop on me. A better arrangement is sold (I think by Raffy), where the entire cover is replaced with a manufactured cover-and-RAM-ball, all one unit. There would be 4 screws holding that in place. I also saw a post recently where someone fabricated an aluminum shelf bracket that went over the clutch reservoir cover, but attached through the same screw holes. I might try to come up with something like that.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:07 am

Bill, I'm glad that set up works. It gives me another alternative should I want to reconfigure my mount later. From the first pic you posted, it looks like you are using the snap on connector that holds the GPS to the arm. Do you use a tether for a bit of insurance against it popping off and has it done so in the past? I currently am using the same set up and see that RAM does not recommend using it for bikes. After putting the unit on the mount and smacking it around pretty firmly with my hand it held. I have yet to do a road test, probably do that later today as I need to find a power cord to replace the the cig lighter attachment that came with it.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 4:18 pm
was

Darrel, usually I have a retractable braided cable lock threaded down thru the fins on the back of the GPS, then wound around the arm and locked. I can snug the cable up with the lock's internal spring retraction mechanism so no one can pull the GPS from the bike when I stop for coffee. I had not thought about this being a tether for the GPS as well, but I suppose it is. I have hit pot-holes hard enough to knock both mirrors off (sometimes I daydream and don't watch where I'm going), and have never noticed it to have any effect on the GPS (either the hard-drive or snap-on mount). Interesting that RAM does not recommend using the mount on bikes, I wonder if that is simply corporate conservativeness or if there have been problems in the past. I can see that it might be a problem if riding a GS off road, but I doubt that there's much I'm going to encounter on pavement that would knock the unit loose.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 8:45 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
They have released a NavTeq map update for the iWAY. My new unit came with Q3-2005, and Q32006 is now out. The good news is that if you purchased within the last 90 days, they'll send you the updated map DVD for free. You have to call them though, and provide proof of purchase, etc.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in