BMW / Garmin warranty works! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up BMW / Garmin warranty works!

My BMW Navi II touch screen protective film peeled off when I was on the way to CCR through Denmark in rain. I touched the wet screen with a rain glove and the film just came off.

The unit worked OK despite of this but of course the surface under the protective films started getting scratchy and hard to see especially in the bright daylight.

My unit is over two years old but I showed the problem to Garmin's marketing manager Mike Sheehan at CCR. He said right away that the unit will be replaced under warranty. He also told me that the Garmin made BMW units have a three year warranty whereas the "original" Garmins only have two years. Now this explains partly the higher pricetag on the BMW Navigators.

Anyway, I called my BMW dealer yesterday as the local Garmin improrter could not help me with a BMW unit. (Which is understandable, as they get no share of the BMW units...) My dealer sent a warranty claim to Sweden and today came the answer:

BMW will replace my unit. Unfortunately the BMW Motorrad Navigator II is no longer manufactured so they "have to" give me a Navi III instead!
I replied that "maybe I can accept this now but don't make a habit of it!"

No, seriously...I have all this time been a little bit annoyed of the high price (2000 euros, installed) I paid for the Navi II and the BMW logo on it but now it seems that I was lucky after all...

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Great things come in pairs!

Ari,

The same thing happened to my 2610, Friday morning at CCR. I wiped the screen off and the protective layer just cracked and peeled right off. Fortunately I took out a 3-year extended warranty from my vendor. I also emailed Garmin regarding the issue. Garmin has offered to replace my 2610 with a brand new 2720. Like you, I felt I had NO OTHER CHOICE but to accept their offer.

Here's to our new GPS'es.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 4:02 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Just "Riding" in the Rain.

Good news guys, does that mean we just have to keep riding in the rain waiting for the film to peel off. :-)
No just kidding, really like the Nav II now. Great ride yesterday to celebrate "pie week" Dungog for pie and milkshake, saw 12th Ferguson sold 1948, and just enjoyed the day. Life is good.
I'll keep the 3 year cover on the Nav II in mind, got to get something for the $$$'s.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Good news guys, does that mean we just have to keep riding in the rain waiting for the film to peel off. :-)
I don't know about Ari's, but what seemed to do mine in was the CCR weather. Rain at night, mixed with high temps and high humidity during the day. One thing I should note, my bike is always stored inside, and so the GPS rarely sees that much rain and/or heat and humidity. So basically, I think I just ticked it off!
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
So basically, I think I just ticked it off!
Just like everybody else, eh?!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Just like everybody else, eh?!
Not the unshakables...like yourself.
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:37 am

Ari,

Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed and actually came out ahead on the deal.

By the way it was great meeting you guys and glad you had a safe return.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I don't know about Ari's, but what seemed to do mine in was the CCR weather. Rain at night, mixed with high temps and high humidity during the day. One thing I should note, my bike is always stored inside, and so the GPS rarely sees that much rain and/or heat and humidity. So basically, I think I just ticked it off!
In my case the wet navigator screen and a vinyl rain glove wiping on it must have been the fatal combination. The glove vinyl must have created a small suction cup effect on the protective film which at first kinda popped loose and then just brittled in pieces. At first I could not believe my eyes...I thought that was this the kind of film that you find on your new cell phone and calculator displays and is it supposed to come off only after two years...?? Soon I realized that this film was made permanent.

I'm glad I can send a thank you -message to Mike Sheehan as things worked just as he promised. I (or we together with Roy Jorawsky) will also use Mike's assistance in getting Roy's unit (the one he borrowed to me) "decoded".
Roy has as well good experience in Garmins generous guarantee policy but unfortunately Garmin goofed somewhat:
They replaced Roy's old 2610 with a new unit but forgot to supply the unlock codes for this new one. Loading maps is impossible to the new unit with a different serial number than the old one. Roy tried to get help from Garmins customer service by phone but that turned out to be impossible for a person with normal patience (more than 2 hours waiting on the phone line...)

Let's see how this next project turns out...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Ari,

By the way it was great meeting you guys and glad you had a safe return.
Hey Malcom,

thanks for the expert ride guidance on the way to Little Rock and for the dinner as well! We really enjoyed that day despite that it was weatherwise one of the warmest of our whole trip. It just brings back warm memories, especially when I was this morning at +5 C weather putting on my Gerbing liners and gloves...

All the best to you

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #10 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
...It just brings back warm memories, especially when I was this morning at +5 C weather putting on my Gerbing liners and gloves...
Ari, only 1 more week before winter hits Finland, then your 8-month Farkle Project Season begins.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ari, only 1 more week before winter hits Finland, then your 8-month Farkle Project Season begins.
Wrong hopes Howard,

I plan to ride until mid November or as long as the roads are not icy.

Especially now that I have a year-round insurance for the first time. Previously most bikers cancelled their (traffic)insurance for the winter months and this always caused frustration as many times the nice autumn weather continued way beyond the date that the bike was taken out from the insurance coverage.

And besides...I'm pretty much running out of farkle ideas already . The only things I have on my list are:
* to raise the front side of the seat another 15 mm
* to complete the Motolight installation (wiring)
* to redo all my farkle wiring (now THIS can easily take a few months...)

I don't know what else to do...I even bought a portable 12 V teawater heater on our way through Germany.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Roy has as well good experience in Garmins generous guarantee policy but unfortunately Garmin goofed somewhat:
They replaced Roy's old 2610 with a new unit but forgot to supply the unlock codes for this new one. Loading maps is impossible to the new unit with a different serial number than the old one. Roy tried to get help from Garmins customer service by phone but that turned out to be impossible for a person with normal patience (more than 2 hours waiting on the phone line...)

Let's see how this next project turns out...

Regards
FWIW when my trusty SPIII needed to be refurbished they replaced it and my codes no longer worked. At first I tried the phone thing and then switched to email communication and that was much more effective for solving the problem for me.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in