2730 or a 376c ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:35 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool 2730 or a 376c ??

Test drove the 2730 for two weeks both before and after CCR. Returned the unit to Costco - neat 30 day return policy. Now I sit and ponder the experience and next steps along with my opinion / thoughts:

Ups:
Text to speech
All Maps are in
XM
MP3 / Audio Book Player
Touch Screen - fast
FM modulator
Calculating time
Size of data base
Ability to add weather and traffic
Remote controller

Downs:
Quality of maps - size of map
General map clutter along wih those little green dots
No longer uses waypoints - introduces favorites - what's that all about!
Coming from a SPIII can not get over the extra info on the screen

Does not impress:
3D Map with track up - not my cup of tea
This map style is a miss for me - I am a Track North person
Maybe I did not give it sufficient time for me to adjust??

So I am now considering a 376c and I perceive the following:

Ups:
Quality of the screen both resolution, color and daytime visibility
Ability to show great detail - looks and feels more technical
Slightly larger screen
Rechargeable battery off the bike

Downs:
No text to speech
No touch screen
Uses proprietary Garmin memory sticks - 512 MB max
Need to do all that map selecting and computer interfacing
Does not come as standard with Auto Maps - $$$
More $$$ for less functionality

If any of you 276 / 376 owners out their have an opinion / thoughts good or bad please pass on. I did read some reviews about the 376c screen going bad - any experience??

If any of you 2730 owners out their have an opinion / thoughts good or bad please pass on.

Being in toy land is just no fun - because the moment I make a move I am confident they will come out with the product that suits my perceived needs. Talked to Garmin tech and "they know nothing" . . . boy I would like to talk to marketing - yea right!!

The one point I cannot get over is the quality of the screen on the 276/376 units . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:33 am

Several of your comments leave room for comment, and correction. Scroll down for my comments in red. FYI: I am a current 2610, though my new 2720 is on it's way to me as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Test drove the 2730 for two weeks...

Ups: All of your 'Ups' are fine.

Downs:
Quality of maps - size of map - I guess you're referring to the screen size here? Zooming In or Out didn't help this issue?
General map clutter along wih those little green dots - Map detail is programmable...perhaps that may have helped.
No longer uses waypoints - introduces favorites - what's that all about! - All tech devices get dumbed down eventually for the mass market. Yes, it sucks. My 2610 had "waypoints". I guess I'll need to adapt to "favorites" as well.
Coming from a SPIII can not get over the extra info on the screen - A learning curve...it comes free with every new purchase.

Does not impress:
3D Map with track up - not my cup of tea
This map style is a miss for me - I am a Track North person - I don't know of any GPS that won't allow you to turn it on Track North all of the time.
Maybe I did not give it sufficient time for me to adjust?? - Probably a fair statement.

So I am now considering a 376c and I perceive the following:

Ups: All of your 'Ups' are fine.

Downs:
No text to speech
No touch screen - One of the primary reason that I bought the 2610 over the 276c. And I LOVE my touchscreen.
Uses proprietary Garmin memory sticks - 512 MB max - The primary reason why I bought the 2610 when I did. Although, I typically only use a 256K Compact Flash card in my 2610 because it speeds up calculations. And I find that 256K worth of maps is pretty good. I do carry my 2GB card with all maps just in case. But the newer 27xx and 28xx won't have any of these issues anyway.
Need to do all that map selecting and computer interfacing
Does not come as standard with Auto Maps - $$$ - I'm not so sure about this.
More $$$ for less functionality - Not sure about this comment either.

If any of you 276 / 376 owners out their have an opinion / thoughts good or bad please pass on. I did read some reviews about the 376c screen going bad - any experience?? - I have no experience, but I can offer THIS LINK for a good review of the 376c.

The one point I cannot get over is the quality of the screen on the 276/376 units . . . - I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I have ridden an LT with the 276c and was not impressed enough with the screen to give up my 2610...let alone the newer 2xxx units.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 6:09 am

I loved the 276C and have just bought the 2730 (the 276 is going with the bike and the 2730 on the new).

I about went nuts learning how to MP3. Directions are pretty vague on all this stuff and trial and error won the day. That was it. It's a real nice unit, quick and powerful. As with anything new, a learning curve that I fell off of a few times.

The biggest and only down, in my book, is no internal power source.

Both are good, and it's like bikes, ride the one you like best.

psst: the north feature is there just in case you don't believe Joe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:22 am

Word of caution on the 2730

Bought the 2730 a short while ago.

Waiting for the new bike to come in to mount it on.

Was playing with the unit and downloaded an MP3. No problem.

Turned the unit off without 'removing the USB' process on my laptop (meaning I didn't specifically disconnect the device in the Win OS) - big problem!!!

From that point on - until Garmin's Software customer support worked w/ me - the unit showed one or more maps are locked. The customer support tech had to take control of my PC and run a special unlock utility (which he then had to remove from my PC) to force the proper unlock code to transfer to the unit.

All is well now, but this is a big warning.

Do not download MP3 files (or audible or anything other than maps) to the unit and just turn the unit off afterwards assuming it'll come back up again OK. The tech told me he's done that with his unit and not had issues, and perhaps this was a fluke, but in the future I'll be sure to do the proper 'Safely Remove Hardware' procedure (which I never believed in previously) in the Win OS.

Other than that, the unit is great.
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool Ooops

Mike,

I did the same thing - the tech was not tech savvy so we just exchanged the unit for a new one. Always felt there was a way to fix especially since I hacked my way into the operating system. If I do in fact return to the 2730 I will be more mindful to unmount before turning off in Mass Storage Mode!!

Dan Finazzo

post #6 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:22 pm

almost ordered the 2730..now pondering the Zumo 550..that one is suppose to be really good..spensive tho and out sometime in October...with that said, thinking the 2730 come down more in price in the next couple months

Hbar
03 K1200LT
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Dan, I'm very glad (as are, apparently, others here) you posted this question. This is exactly the kind of process I'm going through. I was all set to get a 2820 for a silly-low price from Compuplus.com until they pulled the plug.

Anyway... maybe the question comes down to: touchscreen v. button-driven.

I'll keep looking, watching, and waiting.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Just a little food for thought...

There must be an awful good reason why motorcyclist extraordinaire 'grifscoots' went from a 276c to a 2730! Why didn't he go to the 376c?! Hhmmn...

Yes, I wish the 2xxx series had the internal battery. But that is the ONLY negative with the units, IMO. I loved my old 2610. And I have a feeling that I'm going to love the 2720 even more.

As for the Zumo, I just think it's too dang small. I don't know what Garmin was thinking on that unit. It has a few motorcycle-specific features that are cool, but they ain't cool enough to make up for it's size.
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar
almost ordered the 2730..now pondering the Zumo 550..that one is suppose to be really good..spensive tho and out sometime in October...with that said, thinking the 2730 come down more in price in the next couple months

Hbar
03 K1200LT
I wouldn't count on the October release date.

When I spoke to the Software tech Tuesday (yes, had to request to speak to them, since I had already tried everything the Garmin frontline support person was telling me to do - gotta love a script!) he told me they don't have pre-production Zumo units yet for them to test....and if they don't have them, they aren't going to be making it out.

He indicated that they're targeting pre-Xmas release and hoping they make the date.

That didn't sound too positive to me - especially coming from someone who definitely knew their product.

I was looking at the Zumo as well, but screw that. I picked up the 2730 (which has XM receiver included BTW - Zumo doesn't) at Costco.com for $699. Have played with the 2730 in the car a few times and like it so far....we'll see how it does on the bike once it's in.
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As for the Zumo, I just think it's too dang small. I don't know what Garmin was thinking on that unit. It has a few motorcycle-specific features that are cool, but they ain't cool enough to make up for it's size.
My thoughts perzactly Joe. And why would anyone want a TomTom Rider as it seems to be about the same size.

Puzzlin' over a direction finder

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Nex Rad weather vs XM Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I love my 376C, it's actually Waterproof not just resistant, XM radio audio is clean (would be nice to have a remote control to adjust the radio station), the weather is top drawer and it's fast.

The memory stick is no limitation from my perspective, I have the entire Southeast in it from west Tejas to Virginia.
Dave, I believe you have the nex rad wx which cost more than the XM weather that I pay $4 per month for. For my use the XM, which seams to be local airport and reporting station wx info, is good enough. The 2730 displays a sun/cloud or rain drop symbol related to the current station reporting within 10-15 miles of ones position on the map display when you select it.

Overall I am new to the GPS world having started using the 2730 on the Run to CCR-06 from CT. I'll be on the learning curve for a while as I change settings and see the results. At first I thought I was going to see the fronts move by as shown on the nex rad wx, as another post had suggested, but that is not the case, unless I spend the $50 per month.

Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #12 of 16 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 5:23 pm

2730 /naviii

Is the Garmin 2730 the same as the BMW NAVIII? How do you mount the 2730 on a 2006 LT? Can you use the BMW mounting kit for the NAVIII with the 2730? You can email me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Hugh Nemets
Nashville, TN
post #13 of 16 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:29 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool Mounting your GPS

GPS Mounting 101

Well there appears to be four basic approaches to mounting "most" GPS units:

1. Place a bracket under the tupperware below the windshield that comes out of the dash in place of the dash light. I believe this how BMW first mounted the GPS's. Requires a transition plate / pieces to mount your specific model GPS.

2. Put in a shelf unit or sliding bracket mount on your dash above the gauges then place your GPS and other toys either on the shelf or other brackets mounted to the shelf. Many options and flexibility in this area.

3. Mount your GPS on a bracket mounted to one of the handle bars. Several manufacturers of mounts to accomplish this.

4. Newest mount by BMW is to place the GPS on the radio stinger.

As many will attest there are pros and cons to each mounting type I believe these would fall into the following categories:

A. Safety and control - visual and access while riding
B. Work to get the unit mounted - mechanical and electrical and integrated into your other electrical devices
C. Cost
D. Flexibility and desire to remove, relocate and use in other applications.

I have a 2002 K1200LT and have used mount #1 surprisingly for three different model Garmins - StreetPilot III, 2730 and a 376c using parts supplied by Garmin!! Suits me fine not the perfect place for all situations but "real clean".

Pros for this mounting:
1. Screen is the closest to centerline of sight
2. Clean mounting without drilling "any" holes anywhere!
3. Keeps radio stinger free so you can mount tank bag
4. Kept stuff of handlebars and having to look down and left or right

Cons for this mounting:
1. Farthest to reach and interact with
2. Vibrates on occasion - depending upon road type and speed
3. When off bike you need to tie up wires - no big deal
4. Some units with external antennas might hit windshield

The most important to me was #1 in Pros - just a few milliseconds to move your eyes from the unit to the road - all other positions with possibly the exception of mounting position #2 is just not as safe!! I am sure others will chime in . . .

Just my 2 cents

Dan Finazzo

Last edited by dfinazzo; Nov 22nd, 2006 at 11:34 pm. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Well there appears to be four basic approaches to mounting "most" GPS units:

1. Place a bracket under the tupperware below the windshield that comes out of the dash in place of the dash light. I believe this how BMW first mounted the GPS's. Requires a transition plate / pieces to mount your specific model GPS.

2. Put in a shelf unit or sliding bracket mount on your dash above the gauges then place your GPS and other toys either on the shelf or other brackets mounted to the shelf. Many options and flexibility in this area.

3. Mount your GPS on a bracket mounted to one of the handle bars. Several manufacturers of mounts to accomplish this.

4. Newest mount by BMW is to place the GPS on the radio stinger.
Dan, I have seen many variations of #2-#4, but have never seen #1. Can you post a photo?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #15 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:37 am

Wink #1 Style BMW GPS Mount (original Nav 1)

Howard, although this is with a SP-3 (same as Nav 1) it will give you a feel for the mount that comes through the Map Light hole under the windscreen.

I personally like it. Mainly because I can study the map and not take my eyes off the road ahead. The biggest down side is having to lean forward a little in order to reach the buttons. Especially if I forgot to warn SWMBO first! Blast of wind when I bend down, ya know.

HTH,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	8308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3501.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	8309  

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 16 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Howard, although this is with a SP-3 (same as Nav 1) it will give you a feel for the mount that comes through the Map Light hole under the windscreen.
Excellent, John - thanks. I think that's one setup I haven't seen yet.

The BMR shelf gives you the same pros and cons as your setup: in the line of sight but even farther away to reach. I go back and forth about wanting a GPS there or out of the way, visually. My second choice would be the trivet/stringray mount.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in