GPS maps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

GPS maps

I'm finally going to break down and get a GPS. I have a clear vinyl pouch that holds printed maps, but you all will know how difficult it is to read that on a moving motorcycle.

My question concerns the map database that comes with the GPS units (probably Garmin, like most of you). I normally try to run the back roads and farm roads, the kind that are often not numbered on maps. I'm currently using MS Streets and Trips. S&T does not show any of these roads on its maps, although it will route over them - just not shown.

Is there a database available that has EVERY paved road? That is very important to me.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Is there a database available that has EVERY paved road? That is very important to me.
You don't get to select what level of detail you're buying. You get what you get. Version 8 (Garmin's current database) is purty darned detailed. I'm guessing it will have 99% of the roads that you're looking to use.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Does the mapsource software include the PC product, so that you can create routes on the PC, and then transfer to the gps? Is there a non-gps version of the software available for trial, so that I can see if the type of roads I'm seeking are in there?

I know that the GPS units that come in the new cars do *not* have all the back roads around here.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Does the mapsource software include the PC product, so that you can create routes on the PC, and then transfer to the gps? Is there a non-gps version of the software available for trial, so that I can see if the type of roads I'm seeking are in there?

I know that the GPS units that come in the new cars do *not* have all the back roads around here.
MapSource IS the PC s/w. No, no trialware that I'm aware of. Surely someone near you owns a Garmin unit, no?
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All I can say is my Garmin product has all the paved roads around here and most of the gravel ones too. Ended up playing GS on the LT with a creek crossing in the middle of a gravel road. Give me the name of a back road and I'll see if it is in there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Looks like the 2610 (discontinued) is the most popular unit around here, especially now that CF cards have gotten so cheap. They seem to be plus/minus $350 on ebay. Any other suggestions on where to buy one? Anyone here selling?

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #7 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:13 pm
Bouncer

Don't go with the 26xx series. The newer 27xx and 28xx series with the new user interface is so much better.

As for your other question, you can check the detail of the various mapsource products on this page:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

Just use the map viewer and select the Navigator 8 for North America

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

ElJeffe, thanks for the link. I checked out the Roads & Recreation US map. I finally got the roads I am seeking when I got down the 0.5mi scale.

Can I assume that any of the Garmin models, or any generation, will use the same database?

Looking at the viewer, I can see that screen size will be important, to see these roads. Color will also be useful.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

Last edited by CarSalesman; Sep 10th, 2006 at 10:25 pm.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Don't go with the 26xx series. The newer 27xx and 28xx series with the new user interface is so much better.
Bah! Not everyone is interested in the latest and greatest. Sounds to me like Don is more interested in a $350 item, than an $800 one. Unless you know where we can all get a new 27xx or 28xx for under $400?

Yes, I am looking forward to upgraded soon to a new model. But the 2610 is a great unit, that is still "good enough" for a beginner...and is not too dang slow like the SPIII. Now that's an out-dated unit.
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Quote:
I checked out the Roads & Recreation US map. Drilling down as far into the scale as possible, the roads I am seeking are NOT there. It seems to be the same database that comes with the auto manufacturer gps units.
What roads are you looking for?
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Joe: I had originally posted the words you replied to. I then went back and looked at the map viewer again, and found I hadn't zoomed in all the way. As you can see in the thread now, I edited my reply, to show that yes, the detail I was seeking IS there.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:34 pm
Bouncer

You want to look at City Navigator, not Roads & Rec.

You also should consider the 27xx or 28xx. I stuck it out with the SPIII and would have been very disappointed with the 26xx

Quote:
ElJeffe, thanks for the link. I checked out the Roads & Recreation US map. I finally got the roads I am seeking when I got down the 0.5mi scale.

Can I assume that any of the Garmin models, or any generation, will use the same database?

Looking at the viewer, I can see that screen size will be important, to see these roads. Color will also be useful.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

ElJ: I went back and looked at the viewer for the City Navigator. In my area, the results for the City Navigator vs Roads&Rec, are exactly the same. The small roads appear at the 0.5mi zoom level.

Does that mean the roads I am seeking would be built in the base map, and I would not need the upgraded software?

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in