TomTom Rider Bluetooth and Autocom - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:24 am Thread Starter

TomTom Rider Bluetooth and Autocom

I just fitted a TomTom Rider to my '99 LT. It wasn't too hard to mount and I have attached a document showing the installation, if it would be of use to anyone.

My main problem now is that the Rider has no external audio connector and relies on a supplied Bluetooth headset to provide audible directions and a microphone to allow the built-in mobile phone support to work.

I was hoping to plug the Bluetooth headset into my Autocom Active-Rider so that I could use the speakers and microphone already in my helmet, but the Autocom interface is 3-pole and the Bluetooth headset has a 4-pole connector. Yes, I have tried it, but I get nothing in speakers or output on the mike channel.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for this. Should I be looking for the wiring diagram for both units and knocking up an adapter?

Cheers

MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rider Mounted.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	746.7 KB
ID:	6475  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mounting a TomTom Rider on the BMW K1200LT v3.doc (504.0 KB, 376 views)

2004 BMW K1200LT Blue (Derek)
1999 BMW K1200LT Champagne (George, ret'd to the seaside)
1976 Honda CB400F Maroon (The Beauty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:41 am

Question Question

Does the TomTom have any voice-activated features? I'm trying to figure out why the mic on the headset of the TomTom. Unless it is for integrating with a BT cell only.
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Tom Tom Rider and Autocom

Joe is correct the Bluetooth pairing is for the phone and the fact that Tom Tom will go online for traffic and weather info and uses the bluetooth connection to go online via your phone. It may be possible to plug it into the phone port on your Autocom and they should be able to advise you what cable to use. Have a look at www.mavizen.com who produce the Blueye which will sit in line with your speaker output / Autocom in. If it pairs it should accept the Rider output and pipe it through your headset. I have ordered two as intercom functionality will be included soon as will the ability to connect to 5 devices. Hopefully this will also work with my iPaq that I use to run Tom Tom.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 4:25 pm
Hog

Tomtom

Michael : I use the TOM TOM with my AutoCom it works great you plug your bluetooth module into your cell phone jack it works up until you forget to turn it off. I've used it on both my 5 pin and 7 pin AutoCom. If you don't get the volume you desire try plugging it in to a different port.
Dave in Reno
06K1200GT
05CRF450X
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:17 am Thread Starter

Further explanation...

Thanks for the input thus far chaps. Here are replies to your suggestions / questions:

Joe, the Rider has no in-built speaker so it relies on using Bluetooth to communicate to a small module that connects to a small speaker and mike to put inside your helmet. The Rider also uses Bluetooth to communicate with your mobile phone to allow access to traffic hold-up information, weather reports and other stuff like speed camera database updates through GPRS. It also supports routing incoming mobile calls to the headset and making outgoing calls via the Rider unit, including pulling your phone directory off your mobile phone to make it accessible while you are on the move. Thus the requirement for both microphone and speaker, it doesn't have any voice activiation capability (I wish!).

As I already have both speakers and mike to support the Autocom intercom I want to use these rather than shoe-horn an extra headset into my helmet. To do this I was hoping to plug the Bluetooth module into the Autocom's mobile phone input expecting it to support both speakers and mike.

Graham, I had a look on Autocoms web site (as confusing as ever!) and spotted a specific Rider cable, but I am not sure if it is only supported on the newer units. They have changed all their part numbers recently and I can't make head nor tail of their brochure and neither can any of the dealers I've been to. I'll drop them a line to see where I get.

Hog, are you using the Rider with Autocom and making / receiving voice calls too or just getting the Rider directions through the headset? Does the cable you are plugging into have three conductors (first pic) or four (second pic)? The second one shows the Rider headset connector.

Technology; I love it!

Cheers

MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThreePole.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	6535   Click image for larger version

Name:	FourPole.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	6536  

post #6 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:43 am
Hog

Mike I'm just getting voice directions,I used the cable that AutoCom supplied with the unit. AutoCom has a bluetooth adapter for their newer system's that you can buy for two hundred and something dollars for phone only. I would try calling AutoCom. I tried TomTom but they were no help.
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:49 pm

more thoughts

Hog what sort of plugs are on the autocom supplied cable? Are they the 3 ring stereo or 4 ring like Mike's second photo but 3.5mm?

Mike if you look at your charger it will have the same 4 ring plug and you will get a voltage across 2 of them if the cherger is one. I would think base and tip?? Did you get a reply from Autocom?

Graham Wintersgill

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:46 pm
Hog

Graham Mine is like the one in Mike's first photo.
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 3:33 pm

bluetooth

Thank you for replying Hog - what model is your Autocom?

Michael from the Active plus instructions: Aux 1 Socket(3.5mm x 4 pole)
Normally used for mobile phone connection via the lead supplied. Also has switchable power output so that recommended optional plug and play Bluetooth phone adaptors can be used and powered directly via this socket. This socket can also be used to interface GPS, radar, bike-to-bike radio or record out using appropriate optional leads.*\

Maybe the power is switched on?

This will sound cheeky but I do it all the time - is the Autocom powered up when you are trying this?

Graham Wintersgill

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:22 pm
Hog

Graham I've got the Super Pro AVI.
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 3:01 am Thread Starter

Ahah, a solution from Autocom!

I have had a response to my enquiry from Autocom. They have a specific interface designed to connect to the TomTom Bluetooth Headset lump. Their part number is 1297, which retails for 24 in the UK. I'll start ringing around the local dealers to see if I can get my hands on one and report back.

Many thanks to all for your input!

MB

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 3:05 am

Tom Tom

Glad you got a result If you could work out the wiring once you get it I would be in knowing that info.

Graham Wintersgill

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Bluetooth cell phone,intercom sd and radio all integrated

Is there a place that offers these services --- i bought my k1200lt with all of the above however previous owner did not use a good helmet i tried to bring it to the service at Tag --- they said they cant do anything with the nav system .. Any suggestiions on these I want to buy a new helmet , new nav system .... its kinda confusing A
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 2:10 pm

check my post

at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26875

I got it all to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in