Garmin city Nav, V5 Vs V7 orV8 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 6:13 am Thread Starter

Garmin city Nav, V5 Vs V7 orV8

I have a street pilot III and city navigator V5 updated on the desktop comp. I recently purchased a laptop to take with me on the bike trips and have installed city navigator V5 updated on the lap top. I am contemplating purchasing city navigator V7 or V8 so that i will have canadian roads in detail on both lap top and desk top computers. My question is this: will the later versions of city navigator be compatible with my SPIII? With the current version (city navigator V5 updated) I down load the smaller mapsets to my 256M chip and I noticed on my riding buddies city navigator V7 the mapsets are the entire states. He has a Garmin SP 2720 with a lot of storage in its memory so i am wondering if that will be a problem for me with the 256M chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:01 am

I too have the SPIII w/256 K chip. Ver 7 uses a much larger map set and will eat up your memory. I have Ver 6 on one computer and V 7 on another. I found no real difference in the two (still a lot of errors with locations w both versions) but Ver 6 is the most usable for the 256 K chip. The only other option you have is multiple 256 K chips or plan on a lot of computer time while you are traveling.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Mapsets

I just purchased and installed V7 on my desktop comp. I remembered my buddy with the sp 2720 loading whole states as mapsets with i think V7 too. I just loaded the same smaller mapsets that I had with V5. Am I missing something here?

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:59 pm

So many people complained about V7 mapsize, that V8 uses a different, slightly better compression, but still the segment sizes cover larger geographical areas and are larger.

With an SPIII I would stick with V5.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleb
I just purchased and installed V7 on my desktop comp. I remembered my buddy with the sp 2720 loading whole states as mapsets with i think V7 too. I just loaded the same smaller mapsets that I had with V5. Am I missing something here?
If you just got V7, you should be entitled to a free upgrade to V8. I forget the time limit, but I think it is like 90 days after purchase, you are entitled to the new one. I would at least call Garmin and ask.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Mapsource V7

After loading V7 on the lap top an desk top PC....I have discovered that the map sets are small which is ok with me. I am begining to think the size of the mapsets may have something to do with the serial number/unlock code for the particular unit (SPIII/SP2610/SP2720/ETC). I had installed V7 on my work lap top using my friends City Navigator disc from his SP 2720 and it gives me the mapsets the size of a whole state, ergo this is why im suspecting the mapset size may have something to do with the unlock code/sn from the GPS in use. As to the free upgrade..i am happy for the suggestion and i shall call Garmin to find out. I bought it at Best Buy...got it discounted because it is V7 and then used a 10% off cupon on top of that. If I cant upgrade i wont feel too bad about it. I sure do appreciate the comments of the knowledgable people on the board.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:59 pm

FYI:
Don't forget that each version of Mapsource is not just the maps with a lot of detail changes (new roads, etc), but other items such as food, gas stations, auto repair, etc (called points of interest).

When I upgraded from version 6 to 7 of Mapsource, it stated over 2 million points of interest were added (not changed, added). I have not reviewed my v8 upgrade I received last week. As more companies pay Garmin to include them in their database, up goes the size. Mapsource updates are more than simply the maps.

Mark
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 5:04 pm

Something is not clear to me:
I do have SPIII with V7 on my computer and the maps are almost state size (some states are divided, but most of the states are only one map.
I can put about 1/3 of US on 258mb, so it will do for while until I can buy a new GPS.
Now you wrote that your mapsets are smaller?
Is there any chance that you didn't not select V7 from the drop dow menu on MapSource? and still uploading your old V5 maps?
Just a tought here.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Cith navigator V7

I have both V7 and V5 on the PC & laptop eithe accessable from a pulldown menue. I am wondering if I do an uninstall and then reinstall V7 if i would have just the big mapsets that would be downloaded?
I think i will install V7 in a new directory on the laptop and see if there is a difference. I downloaded the smaller mapsets to my 256M chip and didnt get an error message when i brought up the maps on the SPIII. More to come
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 9:37 pm

My SP-III came with a 128mb "chip." Reading here it seems that some of you are using a 256mb chip.

Web sites I looked at do not include SP-II on compatibility list for 256mb. Is there something special you have to do to SP-III to get it to use 256mb?

On cross-country trips, I find I have to omit certain sectors from the download in order to fit everything on 128mb. 256mb would be a true blessing.

Your thoughts?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in