Major GPS questions! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Major GPS questions!

Greetings people.

Please be gentle now.

I have a most beautiful '99 LT here in Australia with that really quite basic black and white screen "pretend" GPS unit planted strangely on the leading edge of the stingray. Do you remember the one? OK then. I would dearly love to leap into the 21st century and upgrade it with a 26 or 27 series Garmin. My LT has the 6 cd stacker, tape and radio but no intercom system. That's about the only thing the previous owner didn't specify unfortunately.

Now the questions.

Is it OK to pull out the old original GPS unit and can I plumb in the new unit as that the voice interface comes through the LT's speaker system. And, if we can do that, is the voice commands controllable so I can still scroll between sound system functions? ie cd stacker, tape and radio. I don't use the stacker anymore as I jam a tape adapter into the tape player to run my mp3 player.

Feel free to respond to my questions using my email below if you don't wont to take up space here on the forum or the answers are too long.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia
email: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:08 am

The 27 and 28 series Garmin units have a different plug than older units. Should be no problem to swap out the hook up though...

Take a look at the Garmin Zumo or the 276/376 series. I have a 2610 which works fine but the display does wash out in sunlight.

Cheers!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:10 am

The BMW mount will work with the newer Garmins (or BMW units), but you will need a new cradle, and a new power cord. There may even be an adaptor...not sure. Check with your local BMW shop, if that's possible.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Hi Paul,

I'm guessing you have the CD-based GPS unit that was common in Europe and Australia, and not one of the Navigator units common in the US. That would make the previous responses irrelevant to your particular case.

Yes, you can pull the controller out of the right saddlebag and the screen off of the stingray (not sure if it will leave holes up there though). There are also several wire looms for the GPS that can be removed.

After you do that, you're effectively starting from scratch with whatever GPS you decide to get.

There is no easy way to get the GPS to feed its voice through the bike's speakers. Even if you could, you'd have only the GPS voice and no radio, cassette, etc. at the same time.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Most appreciative

Ken, yes indeed. It is the basic cd based system.

Thanks for your answer, you nailed everything I needed to know. I'll get out and check the volume capability of those flash looking Garmin units in the hope I might be able to hear it with the volume up. Either way, the visual directions would be more than adequate.

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated. And to the other fine gentlemen with their suggestions, sorry if I miss-led you with the type of GPS system my old beast has.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in