What's this . . . - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 1:08 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool What's this . . .

This is the speaker that comes with the 2730 and I noticed these pins on the side of the unit with no mention from Garmin - I reviewed their site as well.

The outlet has one round and one oblong fitting . . . ?

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:00 am

Garage
I noticed them too when I got the kit with my Navigator II (2610). I'm not sure but I guess it's for attaching the GPS to the car audio, so you'll have the sound over the speakers instead of the tiny speaker inside that 12 V plug. 2 pins would be 1 for the sound, 1 for the muting of the radio (?)

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:39 am

I was told that it's a dead reckoning port used by some of their other, higher-end aviation units.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I was told that it's a dead reckoning port used by some of their other, higher-end aviation units.
Nothing wrong with dead reckoning except its name.
Navigation the old fashion way.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:55 pm

Garage
Quote:
Correct. Dead reckoning for the SP 2650 (maybe also newer models also have the dead reckoning function). These are the ports for the car signal of speed and direction. I asked my dealer and just got the answer.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool Confirmed and huh . . . and a little rant!!

Talked to Garmin support as I was returning my 2730 for complete warranty replacement only having it for two days - memory config went south or something. He stated that those pins on the speaker unit is to be used by other Garmin products re: Dead reckoning as others have also reported - one issue down!

Now to some confusing info: I purchased a motorcycle wiring kit that comes with a bracket and a wiring harness that has two plugs on the one end: one that powers up the 2730 and another that is a 2.5 mm monaural plug. So I ask my support guy what is that monaural for - at first he seemed confused - he stated you are supposed to tap into that to listen to your unit. I ask him do you mean for the MP3, Audio books and XM radio - he says hold on a moment and I will get back with you. Comes back on sometime later and says the 3.5 mm plug on the side is to listen to the stereo stuff. He then goes on to state that the 2.5 mm plug I asked asked about was for other equipment that uses dead reckoning - huh!! Lets see how many bikers our there with dead reckoning desires!!

My point here is that the Garmin technical materials they send out describe at minimum and often omit functional and technical information and leave you without a clue. As these units get more complex and sophisticated it looks like we are getting less and less information - what's with that! My support person seemed more experienced in handling my credit card, the RMA numbers and working with the return instructions.

Rant - my unit broke in less than two days and I am paying the freight *&(*^&^ oh and they hit your credit card with a $1000 dollars until you return the unit that is broken.

Rant off . . . back to life 101!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Aug 23rd, 2006 at 12:33 am. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:30 am

That is a common cable and mounting kit, that is the audio jack for the 2610, 2620 etc.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:34 pm

Quote:
He's referring to the port on the side of the cigarette lighter plug/speaker. It is NOT for audio, but used for dead reckoning. Read the whole thread.

I was not clear that I was answering question #2

Now to some confusing info: I purchased a motorcycle wiring kit that comes with a bracket and a wiring harness that has two plugs on the one end: one that powers up the 2730 and another that is a 2.5 mm monaural plug. So I ask my support guy what is that monaural for - at first he seemed confused - he stated you are supposed to tap into that to listen to your unit. I ask him do you mean for the MP3, Audio books and XM radio - he says hold on a moment and I will get back with you. Comes back on sometime later and says the 3.5 mm plug on the side is to listen to the stereo stuff. He then goes on to state that the 2.5 mm plug I asked asked about was for other equipment that uses dead reckoning - huh!! Lets see how many bikers our there with dead reckoning desires!!

The 2.5 mm monaural plug is for audio out on the motorcycle mount when used with a 2610 or 2620.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
That's OK Bo, I understood what you meant.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in