Calling all Route Masters . . . - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:10 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool Calling all Route Masters . . .

I believe I saw or download some routes that were just not all Waypoints but were a compilation of Routes. For example say I make in a 5 days trip of 5 routes. Then I would like to place all the 1 day trips into a single route. Well I cannot seem to make Mapsource do this . . . but I swear I have seen others do this!! I am running Mapsource 6.10.2.

Any help would be of help . . .

On another point does anyone know of other a GPS Groups on the internet that deals with Automotive and Motorcycles issues like we do here!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:01 am

I see no way to do this with Mapsource either. But, why would you need to do this? You can create the individual routes, then copy the vias, in order, for each route into a new "comprehensive" route. You can then choose to run either the individual route or the comprehensive route. Within Mapsource itself, you can create a new file that only contains the individual routes and the comprehensive route. Viewing the route list would essentially be like looking at your desired route comprised of other routes.

I amy be missing something here, so please enlighten me....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:59 am

Garage
It is possible, but it is not practical. If you were to load the one large route into your GPS, it will take longer to recalculate. IMHO it would be most convenient to have 5 separate routes to choose from in your GPS and name them 'day-1', 'day-2', etc..

If you still want to combine routes, this is how it works:

Say you have two .gdb files with each one route. You open two sessions of Mapsource each with one of the files. Go to the session with the 2nd route, click on the tab 'ROUTE', click the right mouse button on the route in question and choose 'properties'. In the popup choos tab 'via-points', select all (Ctrl-A), copy (Ctrl-C) go to the Mapsource session with the 1st route -> ROUTE -> select route, right click -> route properties -> via points, go to <end> and paste the via points of the second route. Recalculate the entire route and...... voilà.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:17 am

Dan, Erwin has it right on both in accounts in my opinion 1) it isn't really worth it - any change could take a loooong while to recalculate the route, and 2) how to 'merge' the routes.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:17 am

And I 'third' the notion that it's not really worth it. Although, sometimes it's just nice to merge all the routes and take of screen shot of the entire trip for memory sake. Then you put that screen shot pic in the folder with all the pics from that trip. Kinda cool.
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:30 am

Garage
Even then there is no need to have the routes merged. Just copy them into one session of Mapsource (or have them in one .gdb file and open the file), select all routes and display all selected routes on the map.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:33 am

Ah! Don't think I ever tried that. Thanks.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hmmm

Looks like I need to find the file that had this in it. It was real nice looking at a master route with sub routes in it . . . but then again I may be confused!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Garmin Cross Country Route assistance

OK, so I have a follow-up question for this that I was thinking about.

From what everyone stated, it's best to have separate routes, by day.

What I wasn't certain about is whether you can load all of the routes on the new Garmins (2730 is shipping to me now) and then select the days route or if you have to load the routes every morning (or whatever) from your PC to get them to the Garmin.

Might be a silly question to ask, but since I'm not familiar w/ the unit yet I thought someone here who has experience could give me a heads up on this.

Thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
OK, so I have a follow-up question for this that I was thinking about.

From what everyone stated, it's best to have separate routes, by day.

What I wasn't certain about is whether you can load all of the routes on the new Garmins (2730 is shipping to me now) and then select the days route or if you have to load the routes every morning (or whatever) from your PC to get them to the Garmin.

Might be a silly question to ask, but since I'm not familiar w/ the unit yet I thought someone here who has experience could give me a heads up on this.

Thanks!
Yes you can load multiple routes into the unit. Once loaded, if you go to the route menu, you can see the icon for the route list. If you tap on that, you can see all routes currently in the GPS. Select the route you want and you can activate it.

Erwin

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Garmin Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Yes you can load multiple routes into the unit. Once loaded, if you go to the route menu, you can see the icon for the route list. If you tap on that, you can see all routes currently in the GPS. Select the route you want and you can activate it.
Great - thanks for responding.

One of the reasons I bought this unit was so I'd have the option of whether to take my laptop with me on the trip or not. Was actually a 'selling' point with the wife - and I'd sure hate to eat crow if it turned out I was wrong....
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:57 am

FYI, gps geeks galore at http://www.gpspassion.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in