Just bought a Nav III - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Just bought a Nav III

I have a Nav II and just bought the Nav III. This may be one of the best nav units I've ever used. Even easier to use than the old one and way better graphics. Garmin really knows how to do it right.

Mike 05 LT, 05 K1200S, 07 R1200S Rode my first BMW a year ago and sold all my other bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 9:19 am

That is good to know. I am in the market for a new GPS after giving my old Garmin Street Pilot i5 to my brother. Great "little" unit but the display is much better for automobile applications. I am looking for a larger display with ample memory. This forum helped educate me on not only what sort of performance parameters I needed, but also provided a link to a source for a very capable reconditioned Garmin 2610 with warranty for about $460. Now I am searching the forum for the location of $460...
post #3 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:29 am

Judging by the prices I see on these units, I will be carting along my laptop and DeLorme GPS Lite for a while!

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

post #4 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200s
I have a Nav II and just bought the Nav III. This may be one of the best nav units I've ever used. Even easier to use than the old one and way better graphics. Garmin really knows how to do it right.
Mike, you're killing me..... I don't want to spend the money on an upgrade but, I may have to.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 2:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Bill, if you use it on both bikes, then it's only half the cost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 6:43 am
GJH

I had the Nav III fitted several months ago now and I have used it for several long haul trips in the UK and across Europe on the bike and in the car.

It is by far the best GPS I have ever used. Expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
post #7 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 7:53 am

Gordon,
How do you set it up in a car ?.
Simon
post #8 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

It comes with a bean bag stand, and you plug it into the lighter socket. The power adapter has a speaker built into it for the voice instructions.

Mike 05 LT, 05 K1200S, 07 R1200S Rode my first BMW a year ago and sold all my other bikes.
post #9 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 4:06 am

Michael, thanks.
post #10 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:53 pm

Does the Nav III drop into the same mounting hardware as the Nav II? This would be tempting if it were just a matter of plug and play, with no plastic to pull or wires to connect.

Carl Tyler

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
'03 Moto Guzzi v11 Rosso Corsa
'02 Harley Road King
'93 R100GSPD
'84 R100RT
'69 Triumph Bonneville
post #11 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTyler
Does the Nav III drop into the same mounting hardware as the Nav II? This would be tempting if it were just a matter of plug and play, with no plastic to pull or wires to connect.
They use the same cradle.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:55 pm

Parts guys at Bob's BMW told me last week that it would be 1-2 months before the Nav III arrived. Ignorance? Are they available now?

Michael

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT
post #13 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:46 am

Over here in Europe they started arriving at the dealers last month, although there were misunderstandings about the retail price.
That is why I cannot understand GJH saying that he had had his for several months now, and that he also used it in his car.
I will be interested in his reply to me on how he did it.
post #14 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteitler
Parts guys at Bob's BMW told me last week that it would be 1-2 months before the Nav III arrived. Ignorance? Are they available now?
Got a NAV III as part of promotion package when I bought my '06 LT. Mine came in yesterday. Am having it installed while I'm away on vacation (cruise). Can't wait to get home and try it out.
post #15 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteitler
My dealer indicated that for the '06 model year end-incentive sales, you're looking at 3-4 weeks after the sale -- once the bike is sold, the dealer send the info to BMWNA, who then forwards the unit to the dealer for installation.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:29 pm

Thanks for that info...but I was just wondering if someone could walk into a dealer today and take one home.

Michael

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT
post #17 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:48 pm

Nav III Features

I think I was told the Nav III is essentially a Garmin 2820. I doubt BMW will let the XM features be implemented but are the bluetooth and MP3/audio book capabilities in the final product?
post #18 of 27 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oracle
I think I was told the Nav III is essentially a Garmin 2820. I doubt BMW will let the XM features be implemented but are the bluetooth and MP3/audio book capabilities in the final product?
Bluetooth yes, MP3 no.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #19 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 4:21 am

Mark, are you sure about the MP3 facility on the Nav III ?.
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Mark, are you sure about the MP3 facility on the Nav III ?.
No!

My Nav III hasn't arrived yet, so I can't confirm -- but I've looked into it from several sources, and confirmed it with my dealer. For example, MP3 capability is not listed on the BMW international site, nor on Garmin's BMW page http://www.garmin.com/products/bmwNavigatorIII/ -- unlike Garmin's 2820 page, which does show MP3 capability.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #21 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:39 am

Nav III internals update

I wonder if it would be possible to update the internals to remove some of the BMW specifics and enable the MP3 and XM capabilities. I'm sure it wouldn't be supported but it might work. Who wants to try it first?
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Oracle
I wonder if it would be possible to update the internals to remove some of the BMW specifics and enable the MP3 and XM capabilities. I'm sure it wouldn't be supported but it might work. Who wants to try it first?
Actooly, that's in the works!

As a first step, I e-mailed Garmin tech support. If a small tab on the corner of the Navigator mount was trimmed off, the USB port would be available to receive the Garmin ($267!) XM radio module. So, the logical questions were: (1) if plugged into NAV III, would the XM module be recognized/work with the NAV III, and (2) if the NAV III was flashed to the 2820 firmware, would the XM and MP3 capabilities be enabled on the NAV III?

The response (which I do *not* have complete faith in), is no to both questions. I am extraordinarily skeptical -- sounded too much like "stock" answers in the e-mails. I am also hard-pressed to believe that there are any significant hardware differences inside the NAV III/2820 cases -- doesn't make economic sense to me where features can be easily and much less expensively altered in software.

Now for the good part -- my dealer has already ordered an XM module to test with a NAV III. If it works, great. If not, I'll ask him whether I can borrow the module, flash my NAV III with 2820 firmware, and then try the XM module on the flashed NAV III. It may be awhile before I receive my NAV III and can try it, but as soon as I have more info, I'm post results.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:07 am

Zumo

The Nav III is now the old one. Next month garmin ships their new one made specifically for motorcycles !! OLATHE, Kan./July 19, 2006/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced the debut of zūmo, designed from the ground-up to exceed the demands of motorcyclists of every stripe. The Garmin zūmo debut coincided with National Ride to Work Day and the unit will be unveiled this week at motorcycling’s premier racing event, the MotoGP U.S. Grand Prix at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California.

With a glove-friendly design featuring left-handed controls and oversized touchscreen buttons on a high-bright display, Bluetooth “hands-free-to-helmet” wireless technology capability, and a rugged, dependable locking mount, zūmo is at home on virtually any motorcycle or scooter.

“The Garmin zūmo is designed by motorcyclists for motorcyclists, so it naturally includes hardware and software features that make the device stand out from any other navigator on the market,” said Gary Kelley, Garmin’s vice president of marketing. “Garmin has long been known as a pioneer in satellite navigation in aircraft, boats, cars, so we’re proud to be able to offer a unit that stands up to the demands of motorcyclists and a motorcycle’s demanding environment.”

Zūmo boasts a 3.5-inch (diagonal) high-bright, sunlight readable touchscreen display, encased in a waterproof (IEC 529 IPX-7 standards) housing made of plastics that resist damage from fuel splashes and UV light. In addition to the touchscreen, zūmo has four dedicated left-handed buttons for quick input. Zūmo is equipped with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, which acquires and maintains a GPS signal even in heavy foliage or “urban canyons” created by city skyscrapers. The navigator also features solid state memory, which mitigates the effects of vibration, shock, cold, heat – and displays and redraws maps faster. Zūmo is secured to the motorcycle with a locking mount that has waterproof power and data cable connections and is able to withstand the severe vibration environment commonly experienced in motorcycle riding. A rechargeable user-removable lithium-ion battery (three hour typical use) is integrated into zūmo for trip planning or use on foot.

Bluetooth capability makes it possible for riders to retrieve and dial numbers using a supported phone’s contact list or from the phone’s call history log. A user can also make calls from zūmo’s huge points of interest database that includes hotels, restaurants, stores, and much more. In addition, the Bluetooth connectivity also gives motorcyclists the ability to receive and place phone calls as well as receive turn-by-turn voice prompts wirelessly to Bluetooth enabled headsets or helmets. More than 200 Bluetooth phones are supported.

Zūmo features a 10-thousand point tracklog, allowing users to record even the longest of rides – and the included MapSource® DVD even lets motorcyclists relive a memorable tour on their home computer through the 3-D Google Earth interface. Riders can also plan upcoming trips on their computer, and swap routes and waypoints with other zūmo owners via the unit’s SD card slot.

Users can also access zūmo’s trip computer page for trip information like speed, heading, and a customizable fuel gauge that allows users to define their motorcycle’s maximum fuel range. When zūmo calculates that the motorcycle is low on fuel, it automatically reminds the rider and suggests a route to a nearby gas station. Zūmo even has a compass page and accepts electronic topo maps -- making it the ultimate off-road navigator. For those long trips, riders can stay entertained with zūmo’s built-in MP3 player.

Zūmo comes pre-loaded with full North American data, and includes millions of points of interest – places like hotels, restaurants, gas stations, and attractions. Full and partial European map versions are also available. Zūmo gives turn-by-turn directions via multiple language and gender voice guidance with spoken street names and either 3-D or 2-D maps. The map data is provided by NAVTEQ – a world leader in premium-quality mapping. The device also allows customers to load customized points of interest (POIs) such as safety cameras and school zones, and zumo is compatible with Garmin’s Tour Guide™ – a free utility that allows users to build and upload a database of POIs that are encoded with photos and MP3 files. For added versatility, zūmo is also compatible with Garmin Travel Guides™, and SaversGuide.

Real-time traffic is an option through either an FM RDS-TMC (Traffic Message Channel) traffic receiver or XM NavTraffic (U.S. only) receiver. When the optional traffic service is activated, zūmo calculates routes that navigate around traffic. Accidents, road construction, or other incidents affecting traffic are graphically represented as icons on the navigation map. Information relating to a traffic incident is also available including the precise location, lanes affected, and the predicted duration. Customers selecting the XM NavTraffic receiver can also access XM’s weather forecasts, current conditions, and county warnings as well as over 170 channels of XM Radio.

Riders can personalize zūmo to match their particular bike’s color scheme and attitude with custom caps. Silver and black caps come standard with the unit, and others are available on the Garmin website. Owners can also customize zūmo’s opening splashscreen to depict a one-of-a-kind photo with the help of the unit’s jpeg picture viewer. And because even the most dedicated rider sometimes travels by car, zūmo comes with an automotive mount and speaker – making the unit ideal for virtually any type of road trip. Zūmo is also equipped with Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft system that disables the unit until the owner types in a specific 4-digit PIN or takes the unit to a predetermined secure location.

Anyone attending the MotoGP U.S. Grand Prix this weekend can see zūmo firsthand at the Garmin booth (#77) at the Laguna Seca Raceway infield, located between turns two and three. Visit www.garmin.com/zumo for more information, configuration, and pricing – and register for a chance to win your very own zūmo.

Zūmo comes with pre-loaded City Navigator NT® map data and companion DVD-ROM, a motorcycle mount and mounting hardware with 12/24 volt power cable, an automotive mount with 12v cigarette lighter power cable, carrying case, logo stickers, AC charging cable, dashboard adhesive disk, USB interface cable, owner’s manual on disc, and quick reference guide. Zūmo is expected to be available in October 2006.

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/071906.html
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:29 am

Interesting, but not clear to me that it offers any significant advantage over the 2820/NAV III, such as a larger screen (zumo is more "square," but not bigger: 2.8"x2.1" (Zumo) vs. 3.3"x1.7" (2820)). Anyone see a compelling reason to dump their 2820 for a zumo??

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #25 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I agree with Mark in regards to the advantages of the Nav III over the Zümo.
I think that it is being marketed to compete with the Tom Tom Rider.
Having said that, I have not seen either Garmins, so my opinion is not all that valid.
As my LT already has the GPS pre-installation, I will go for the Nav III, as soon as my dealer receives them.
Mark, mine says it does come with MP3, but, like me, they have been known to be wrong occasionally.
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Mark, mine says it does come with MP3, but, like me, they have been known to be wrong occasionally.
I would be *thrilled* to be wrong on this, but I'm not holding my breath. I read the NAV III owner's manual (.pdf from the motorrad int'l site) cover to cover, and there's no mention of mp3 capability in it.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #27 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 3:05 pm

I read the same manual but the one I read was the European version. I'm hoping the US version is capable but I seriously doubt it. I'm hoping on the after purchase fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in