Garmin Street Pilot 2730 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Street Pilot 2730

Anyone have experience with this model GPS? I like this one specifically because it also includes an XM receiver. Big question: how do I make it waterproof for bike use?

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Super Moderator

It's already waterproof for bike use. Check the specs on the 2600 and 2700 series units at www.garmin.com.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Just installed one yesterday on the LT which was already prewired for gps. bought the clamp from Garman and plugged it in, bam!! works like a charm without even plugging in a audio wire from the gps audio out to the aux input on the comm system. bought a mount with the wiring harness for the GS, but have not tried the audio out to a headset yet. I think I'm going to like it but if I don't, take it back to Costco where I got it for $699=ship and tax.

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Thumbs up

I've had one for a couple of months now. I really like it as I had a GPS V before and it was a real pain loading the maps.

The only downside is that it does not come with the map CD so that you can load routes and calculate routes on the PC as I did before on my GPS V. When I queired Garmin about it they said they would ship me a disc. However, I still haven't recieved one. This is not to be confused with the disc that has the USB drivers on it so that you can load MP3 file or audio books.

I also wish the volume output was a little higher as I can't hear music or the GPS feedback very well. I even bought a little audio booster from Radio Shack, it helped but not enough. All in all, its a great unit though.

Chuck

02 FLHRCI
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Regarding the volume, isn't there a Volume control screen like on the 2610? On the 2610 you press the speak button twice and a window opens up with a visual "slider" that you touch to adjust volume. If you've already tried that I'd like to know for my information.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
Anyone have experience with this model GPS? I like this one specifically because it also includes an XM receiver. Big question: how do I make it waterproof for bike use?
I've had mine for about 3 months. XM radio works great. I mounted my XM antenna beside the antenna on the bike. I made a home-made steel bracket. I had to use the extension cable to run inside the tupperware up to the GPS mount. (I had purchased the BMW with the optional GPS prep mount.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Regarding the volume, isn't there a Volume control screen like on the 2610? On the 2610 you press the speak button twice and a window opens up with a visual "slider" that you touch to adjust volume. If you've already tried that I'd like to know for my information.
On my GS when I pluged into the audio out on the left side of the unit my volume and voice commands were weak. I went to menu, settings, general, audio, ouput, selected head phones instead of line out and it was clear as a bell. have my speed adjustment set on "high" as it is too load at stop or low speed. On thje GS today at slab speed mine was set on 60 or 70 and was plenty load.
If you have not tried this it may be your problem.
jed
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 9:32 am

Garmin 2730 install / volume control

My 2730 has been installed since spring 06. Great sound. You have 3 different volume controls available. I keep voice set at 100%. I have to reduce the 2730 XM feed to 80% so it is not too loud. Download the manual from Garmin.com if you want to see better pictures and info regarding volume control. My antenna solution is shown in photo. I located it on a mount that fits into the hole in the brake lever mount. This was done to keep a clear line of sight to the sky. (Note: I'm having trouble attaching my photos that show my 2730 and antenna installation.)

Last edited by yeoman_kp; Aug 19th, 2006 at 10:01 am.
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 3:16 pm

See attached photos of my installation and the volume control screen (excessive file size prevented previous attempts at uploading pix). The mount I use for the antenna is a ZTechnik Spider Accessory Mount.

I would stick with the standard mounting location. I think anything else will obscure the windscreen or other instruments. If you eventually want to restore the bike to original (no holes) condition, the small panel under the GPS could not be too expensive to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K12LT 2730.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	5967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 2730 vol.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	5968  

Last edited by yeoman_kp; Aug 20th, 2006 at 3:45 pm.
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Garming 2730 - Traffic question

Waiting for my Garmin to ship to me, and have a question about it that a friend pointed out today.

He noticed on GPS city's web site today that it mentioned the FM antenna receiver for traffic alerts.

I was under the impression that if you activated XM traffic you didn't need the other antenna adapter.

Is this correct?

Also - what do people think of the XM traffic and weather service? How well does it work across the country?? Does it have good coverage - or ony in major cities etc?
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:55 pm

The hockey puck antenna brings in both XM and Traffic/weather. You sill have to subscribe to each service. You can get a bundled price that is cheaper than subscribing to each service individually. I bought the combined service but I have not really benefited from Traffic yet. Check the coverage map. You will find it only covers major metro areas.

If you bought a cut rate unit that did not come with an antenna you will have to order one ($200+). See my pix post to see what the antenna looks like.
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:24 am

the fm and xm are two entirley different traffic systems , it is one or the other.
When you activate the xm unit just ask for navtraffic , an additional $3.99 per month. This btw, must be done via phone not online.
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Some of Garmin's units have Traffic Network as part of the unit. This is not tied to the XM radio, but to a FM network in some cities. It will also autoroute you around some of the back ups.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Some of Garmin's units have Traffic Network as part of the unit. This is not tied to the XM radio, but to a FM network in some cities. It will also autoroute you around some of the back ups.
On the 2730 you have to get an adapter that you unplug your FM antennae and then plug this in and plug you FM antennae into it.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
On the 2730 you have to get an adapter that you unplug your FM antennae and then plug this in and plug you FM antennae into it.
Better than having to pay for an XM subscription.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in