nav 4 trip planning - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jharpphoto
  • 2 Post By gerhard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 21st, 2015, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Garage
nav 4 trip planning

I bought a used bike that came with Nav IV. Is there a way to plan trips on the Garmin site and upload those trips to the Nav IV? My GPS didn't come with a cable so I know I will have to find one to connect the device to my computer so point me in the right direction.

Honda CBR 600
Ducati 996
1997 BMW R 1100 RT
2012 BMW R 1200 RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 21st, 2015, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: nav 4 trip planning

You will need Garmin Basecamp to plan trips, free software. While you are at the Garmin site also load Garmin express, this one updates maps and firmware on the Garmin device.

As for a cable, get any USB with the mini connector on one end USB on the other. NOT the micro. Take the battery cover off the Garmin and you will be able to see the connector style you need.

Once you get basecamp loaded got to Delphi forums, get an account then go to the Learn Garmin Basecamp forum created by Don Norwood. Here is a link Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

That is the long version of learning Basecamp, if you want a short one just to get going go to here http://www.newenglandriders.org look at top left sixth tap labeled Learn BaseCamp.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 7 Old May 21st, 2015, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Wow, thanks for the great reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
You will need Garmin Basecamp to plan trips, free software. While you are at the Garmin site also load Garmin express, this one updates maps and firmware on the Garmin device.

As for a cable, get any USB with the mini connector on one end USB on the other. NOT the micro. Take the battery cover off the Garmin and you will be able to see the connector style you need.

Once you get basecamp loaded got to Delphi forums, get an account then go to the Learn Garmin Basecamp forum created by Don Norwood. Here is a link Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

That is the long version of learning Basecamp, if you want a short one just to get going go to here http://www.newenglandriders.org look at top left sixth tap labeled Learn BaseCamp.

HTH
johnbaker15 likes this.

Honda CBR 600
Ducati 996
1997 BMW R 1100 RT
2012 BMW R 1200 RT

post #4 of 7 Old May 21st, 2015, 3:50 pm

Garage

jb15 gave great info. Many find that BaseCamp has a steep learning curve. If you find a copy of MapSource, it's an easier intro. BUT and it's a big BUT, Garmin no longer supports MapSource, yet it should work fine for you.

John
2014 S1kRR w/ Helibars, Grip Buddies, Motovation Bar-ends, Techspec C3, Saddleman Sport, Garmin GPS Connector and GPS Nav IV, Razor Tow Hooks, Razor Engine Protectors, Razor No-Cut Sliders, Razor Axle Sliders, Powerlets Fore and Aft, Motodynamics Fender Eliminator and Rear Signals, Gregg's Front Signals, Gilles (BMW) Levers

2012 R1200RT w/ Russell Day Long Seat, Grip Buddies, Garmin GPS Nav IV, Top case, GS mirrors, Valentine 1

2000 Honda RC51 (gone)
1995 Honda VFR750 (gone)
1992 Honda VFR400 NC30 (gone)
1986 Honda VFR700 (gone)
1985 Honda Magna V45 (gone)
post #5 of 7 Old May 21st, 2015, 3:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post

HTH
Forgot to mention that if you are ever in the Northeast the web page at http://www.newenglandriders.org has great information on places to stay, eat and ride. There is a great selection of routes if you drill in a little. All the routes have been pre-ridden by someone in the group and all the places to speel or eat have been "tested".

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:12 am

I think if you are going to put the effort into learning a mapping program might as well be the one currently supported by Garmin. I came to BaseCamp with no preconceived notions of how it should work so I found it pretty easy to learn and work with.

Gerhard
PadG and johnbaker15 like this.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 1:24 am

Garage

When you give up on BaseCamp download the FREE version of Tyre at tyretotravel.com. It is an easy to use / learn program that will allow you to layout routes using Google Maps and download them to your Garmin or Tom Tom device. If you don't get the route you want just add more waypoints to force the GPS onto the roads you want to ride.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in