ROUTE CHANGES WHEN DOWNLOADED TO GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerhard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

ROUTE CHANGES WHEN DOWNLOADED TO GPS

I recently purchased two new Garmin GPS 's. A ZUMO 390 and a NUVI 2598. I've clawed my way up the Base Camp learning curve and am doing reasonably well generating custom routes. When I download any of these routes to the ZUMO the routes maintain their integrity and look exactly like what was created in Base Camp. My problem is that when the same route is downloaded to the NUVI it seems to be recalculated by the NUVI software and some route details are changed. I have verified repeatedly that all the ROUTING parameters on the NUVI are set the same as within Base Camp. Is this a hardwired NUVI characteristic or am I doing something wrong?

Why did I buy a ZUMO and a NUVI? The Zumo is of course for the bike and replaces my old SP2820 and the NUVI is for use in two of my older cages that do not have built in navigation.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:13 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: ROUTE CHANGES WHEN DOWNLOADED TO GPS

Lynn I've run into this also. My Basecamp has the newest maps along with the GPS in my Truck. They work well together. My Nav IV on the bike however has 2012 maps & I get route errors with it. Make sure you have all the same maps on & software on all GPS's & Basecamp.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:21 pm
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
I recently purchased two new Garmin GPS 's. A ZUMO 390 and a NUVI 2598. I've clawed my way up the Base Camp learning curve and am doing reasonably well generating custom routes. When I download any of these routes to the ZUMO the routes maintain their integrity and look exactly like what was created in Base Camp. My problem is that when the same route is downloaded to the NUVI it seems to be recalculated by the NUVI software and some route details are changed. I have verified repeatedly that all the ROUTING parameters on the NUVI are set the same as within Base Camp. Is this a hardwired NUVI characteristic or am I doing something wrong?

Why did I buy a ZUMO and a NUVI? The Zumo is of course for the bike and replaces my old SP2820 and the NUVI is for use in two of my older cages that do not have built in navigation.
Different version maps in the unit to Basecamp and the 390????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Different version maps in the unit to Basecamp and the 390????
No. Actually all is well with the ZUMO. It's the NUVI that's the problem. In both cases the GPS is connected to the PC via USB cable so the PC picks up the map version from the garmin.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #5 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 8:52 pm

The thing to remember is that you are not actually downloading the route but rather a bunch of way-points and the device calculates the routes. If following the exact route is important you need more way-points. I have seen the same thing where we are on a group ride and the organizer emails everyone GPX file but there seem to be slight variations in portions of the ride from device to device.
PCH likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 7:05 am

Lynn,
I know that you have checked and double checked everything, but here are some of my settings on my Nuvi 2797:
Everything is under the Settings menu:
--Traffic-Optimize route-On Request
--Navigation-Calculation mode-Faster Time
--Navigation-Enviromental-Zones Allowed
--Map & Vehicle-Map detail-Normal
--My Maps-2015-20 ALL

Good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the suggestions. Adding more way points definitely helps but certainly clutters up the map and adds a ton of "stuff" to sort through on the device when doing a "Where To" search of "Saved" destinations and "Way Points".

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. Adding more way points definitely helps but certainly clutters up the map and adds a ton of "stuff" to sort through on the device when doing a "Where To" search of "Saved" destinations and "Way Points".
When they design the software for the device the thinking must have been to give the GPS unit flexibility for changing conditions. If it followed the route exactly as on the computer what would happen if a map changes due to road closures or if a road is changed to a one way the device would direct you again the flow of traffic or possibly into a field or over a non existent bridge. In my opinion they made the right choice to have the GPS create the route using the maps installed on it using the waypoints provided.

Gerhard
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
When they design the software for the device the thinking must have been to give the GPS unit flexibility for changing conditions. If it followed the route exactly as on the computer what would happen if a map changes due to road closures or if a road is changed to a one way the device would direct you again the flow of traffic or possibly into a field or over a non existent bridge. In my opinion they made the right choice to have the GPS create the route using the maps installed on it using the waypoints provided.

Gerhard
Gerhard, No argument with your above comments for probably 80% of what I use a GPS for. It knows my current location, I plug in a destination and off we go. However, for the other 20% I would like to create a scenic pleasure ride for my motorcycle club via a specific route from our gathering place to a destination. I don't always desire The Fastest, The Shortest, or even Curvy Roads to be determined by some machines algorithm. With my old SP2820 I seemed to be able to do that easily and never had an issue when downloading from PC to GPS. That does not always seem to work as smoothly with the newer devices. I'm sure that down the road I'll learn to work with the new software and become as proficient as I currently am with MapSource. It's just that I sometimes I get frustrated 'cause it ain't do'in what I want it to. As my Mother used to say, "Paitence is a virtue that I am sometimes lacking!"

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 28th, 2015, 6:52 am

The only thing that really bothered me about adding a lot of shaping points was the constant announcements about approaching and arriving at the shaping points. I quickly learned that it is easy to turn these off in Base Camp by right clicking they points in the Route Properties window and selecting "Don't alert on arrival (shaping point)". This option does not translate to the older Zumo models but it does keep the voice quiet for these points along the route. It does not affect the turn by turn directions.

Gerhard
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 29th, 2015, 1:44 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
...I quickly learned that it is easy to turn these off in Base Camp by right clicking they points in the Route Properties window and selecting "Don't alert on arrival (shaping point)". This option does not translate to the older Zumo models but it does keep the voice quiet for these points along the route. ...
Gerhard
The best way to clear the unwanted announcements on older Zumo models, is to place the shaping point on a junction of two named roads. You can easily see that it has selected it correctly, by the title "Park Road and High Street" appearing.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in