using GPS on a trip ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

using GPS on a trip ?

When taking a long trip do you just put in a destination each day or is there some advantage to cresting and saving an entire route ?

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Allan,

I create a separate route for each day. I name them, for example, 01SanDiegoToCasaGrande, for the first day, 02Casa GrandeToGrand Canyon for the 2nd day, etc. That way they show up in order on the GPS. Each morning I just select the route for the day. When I hit the page button, I always know how far away the motel is.

Then I create a single route for the whole trip. I number that one 00GrandCanyon2006 or whatever. That always shows up first on the list, and gives me the total mileage for the trip. I also print it for reference and I can give to relatives, etc if they are interested in where we will be going.

Buck W.
San Diego
1999 K1200LT
Canyon Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 3:47 pm

I have not experienced it yet, but I was told here on the board that you should divide your trip up. Maybe not day by day, but it should be divided. The reason is calculation time. If you go "off course" the time to recalc the route will be very long if you are on a multi day trip. My 5500 mile vacation coming up is divided into roughly 500 mile sections.

Eric

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:34 pm

I take an approach similar to the one Buck has described above. But, rather than creating daily routes, I create daily waypoint goals. For sorting purposes, I addend a number to the name of the city that I use as a waypoint; for example 1010MadisonWI then 1020StPaulMN, then 1030FargoND, etc. The first number indicates day 1, the next three numbers represent the sequence (via Points so to speak) of the waypoints in the order I would expect to encounter them. The next day would be 2010BillingMT, 2020RedLodgeMT, etc. The goal is to have Garmin display every thing sequently by day then by via points.

I have found this gives me some flexibility to create a mini route on the road. Sometimes you meet some locals at a gas stop or rest area and they give you their insight to what the best rides are in there home state. I then slot in a new waypoint between my existing waypoints or current location.

While I am home on my computer I do create daily routes so I can determine approximate daily mileage for general trip planning. I download the tentative daily routes to Garmin (numbering them similar to how Buck has described) along with the waypoints I created but I found that I don't depend on the routes that I create in Mapsource when I am on the ride. As a general rule, I try to keep planned daily mileage to about 600 miles particularly if a lot of slab is involved. If traffic/weather has been good during the day we may dip into the next days waypoints. Conversely, if we don't make all the planned waypoints for a day because we were hopefully lured into some twisties or for for some other reason, we push hard the next day to make up.

This arrangement works okay for me and my group because we generally don't make lodging arrangements until mid day of the day we are riding when we agree on our goal where we would want to eat/sleep at night. If by some reason we wind up in some obscure motel and we leave early before having sufficient coffee and we don't remember exactly where we are (for example, if you roamed around the previous night checking out various hotels or maybe perhaps were over served adult beverages at dinner) I create a morning route from "current location" to the next waypoint in the trip plan.

Ride Safe,
Jim Sonderberg
Chicago

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #5 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
When taking a long trip do you just put in a destination each day or is there some advantage to cresting and saving an entire route ?
There is a lot of different approaches. I use a route for each day and normally expect the routes to overlap. I don't make reservations as a general rule but plan the trip so I can make areas that have high concentrations of motels. Usually you can spin to an interstate or plan your days to include a couple of alternate motel rich cities or areas.

An example of that would be if you were crossing the Dakotas. I would make a waypoint to an interstate exit or city that shows a lot of motels. I will add another one about 75 to 100 miles further as a alternate and maybe another one early. So I always have a quick reference to my destination or alternates. You can always be delayed or ahead but I don't usually find myself ahead. When I see a waypoint in my route with a city name I know that is a motel area.

I also have an SP III and I need to be careful that my routes are too long as the processor chip is relatively slow. I usually need to break up the total trip and match routes and maps as I have multiple storage chips. By default I do not recalculate because it is slow and can ruin my pre-planning. If I have a specific new goal for a day as a side trip I will get an address and make a waypoint and route directly to it. That rarely happens for me but I do usually have a AAA tour book with me so addresses are relatively easy to come by especially if I need to estimate a motel stop. I stop the current route and get a measurement in time and miles. As long as I am on my current route restarting a route usually works pretty well especially if I do not allow recalculation.

I have found that adding a waypoint to an established route can be tricky.. maybe I don't do it right but it always seems to mess up my planned routes.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:07 pm

When I first got my 2610, I used to let it do all the routing each day, or maybe for the whole trip and would just get as far as I could per day, then continue the next day. But the longer I have my GPS, the more I use my laptop to create EVERY route. Having different routes for each day, including optional waypoints is great.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Yup.. that's the way to go, Joe..

And I like to pick my own roads...the "automated" is only good for "point and shoot"...

and you can just copy the file to the memory card rather than downloading with USB..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 2:14 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile CF card reader

"and you can just copy the file to the memory card rather than downloading with USB"..[/QUOTE]

I have a USB to CF card thingy. Could you expand on the download process a little please. I had removed the CF card from the Nav II, and attempted to load routes etc. What happened next after installing the card back into the GPS, and restarting mapsource, it required me to reinstall the CD software in the computer before it would run. Was OK as I was at home still and so had access to the CD, but on the road would not have been very good. TIA

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 7:51 am

Is this just your name for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
including optional waypoints is great.
Joe,

Just wondering if there is such a thing as an "optional waypoint" or if it is just your name for them. I would love to have waypoints that just kind of guide the route, but I don't have to hit specifically.

That is another question all together. How close do you have to come to a waypoint for the unit to believe you have actually been there? Let's say I have a small town on my route and the waypoint for that town is 100 yards off the main road. Now if I just drive by without taking that short little detour, isn't the unit going to try and guide me back to the waypoint I "missed"? How can I avoid that annoyance?

Eric
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

My 2720 is due to arrive Monday...
From what I've read here, I can input a destination each day and then insert other stops into the route, or add avoidances to force the GPS to the routes I want................
This seems quick and easy and leaves more flexibility in each day..............
Maybe some day GPS will let you pick the roads to your goal.....................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #11 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
Joe,

Just wondering if there is such a thing as an "optional waypoint" or if it is just your name for them.
No, that's just my little name for it. But you can add "optional waypoints" anytime during a route. It's actually called adding a Via Point on your GPS. Just press the Route button, then add Via. Once you do it a few times, it's very simple and quick to do on-the-fly.

Quote:
How close do you have to come to a waypoint for the unit to believe you have actually been there? Let's say I have a small town on my route and the waypoint for that town is 100 yards off the main road. Now if I just drive by without taking that short little detour, isn't the unit going to try and guide me back to the waypoint I "missed"? How can I avoid that annoyance?
Yes, the unit will try to reroute you, but there are ways to avoid this. The easiest way is: just keep riding, but turn the GPS off then back on. By the time it boots-up and figures out where you are, it'll continue on with the route from that point.
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Quote:
How close do you have to come to a waypoint for the unit to believe you have actually been there? Let's say I have a small town on my route and the waypoint for that town is 100 yards off the main road. Now if I just drive by without taking that short little detour, isn't the unit going to try and guide me back to the waypoint I "missed"? How can I avoid that annoyance?

Eric
How close it gets you is basically how many satellites you are tracking on and your calculated accuracy is in feet. You can find that on the GPS /Sat display menu. Normally you run at close to 15 feet but can be as much as 35 or 50 feet off the route and are considered on route.

It has been my experience that if you have a 'retracing' route as long as you are on the route the GPS will not force you to go to the missed via point.... i.e. say you have a via point 1 mile off an interstate exit and your route returns you to the same exit via the same road.. You will get the warning for the missed turn then the 'off route' warning... If you have auto recalc on it will attempt to take you to the via point. However if you don't Auto Recalculate in a mile or so you will get an announcement to what your next turn point. The GPS will not try to make the route go back just continue on. Just like if you left the route for fuel and go back on..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 6:52 am

Sounds like there are a couple different ways of tackling the missed Via Point.

First, leave Auto Recalculation on. Then when you miss a Via Point that you don't really need to go to, just turn the unit off for a second and then turn it back on. That should work out ok for most of the time on my trip. I will not be in big cities that require a bunch of turns (for the most part). I did also try to only add Points to the routes either side of the big cities and just let it route me through them.

Second, you can turn Auto Recalculation off. I haven't ridden this way yet. Sounds like the unit won't complain as long as you are on the route. Of course, if you decide to take a detour, it will complain.

Sounds like a need to learn to turn Auto Recalc on and off very quickly.

Eric
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Auto Recalc is one of those features you like or don't..

My biggest problem is that I have an SP III and with a 256 Meg chip. Any route change that you want recalc I basically have to stop and allow it to recalc and then go otherwise it never catches up. I just leave it off and try to line up again on the 'PINK' roads..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Jenna,
I'm afraid I may have misled you. I do the "copy" thing on the memory card for my 2610. I wonder if there is a file marker on your memory card. Also, if you "drag/drop" the whole file, you may be removing the authentication from your PC.

So, did you "copy" or "move" the files?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in