Garmin 7200 & 7500 GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 7200 & 7500 GPS

Anyone here using either of these units? I am considering purchasing one. I have used the SPIII for some time it works great. Just considering these for the cage unit because of its bigger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Thumbs up

I saw that 7200 while on vacation, and I was trying my hardest to figure out how to make it watertight...so I could use it on a bike. Man! I love that screen!!!
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Garmin 7200 & 7500 GPS

They can be had for under $300 now. I'm thinking of getting one for use in good weather. Any thoughts.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I own a 7500. It's car based; it'd be a lot to stash on a motorcycle ... not impossible, but, it's a big box and it's not lightweight. The mounting cradle / bracket / cigar lighter plug power cord assembly is sort of bulky; I made my own mount and it works better for my cage application. No Bluetooth ... so, that could prove to be an issue depending on how you intend to interface to it. I found that the FM transmitter in the power cord / mount assembly doesn't have very high output and didn't work too well for me. YMMV. However, I hardwired my audio out to an aux input in the car and that's a winner. I hardwired DC, too, and there's a 12V DC jack on the side of its external chassis so you don't have to use the cigar lighter power cord. If you want to use the DR function on the 7500, you need to use the supplied power cord, too. No other DR input jack except there. I like the fact that I can plug in the GXM30 and that it can also act as a AV monitor if I choose. It has a passable mp3 player and a place to stick in SD cards on the side. Operational look and feel is very similar overall to the 2820 (less Bluetooth). And, oh yeah, it's a Garmin, so, of course it's a good navigator, too. They have come down a ton on price both as new units and as refurbs. It you don't need DR, save yourself A LOT of money and buy the 7200. And most importantly, it's not a Magellan, so even if it does break, you'll get to deal with Garmin's help channels and you'll never have to deal with Magellan's so called "customer service."
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The 7200 is what I had in mind. The navigation is the only part I use. I was thinking I might be able to see it without my prescription glasses.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:04 am

It's a bigger screen for sure and likely to be much easier to see. It's pretty bright, too. Don't expect much better resolution or more information on the screen, though, for all that size. These critters were sort of designed with a truck instrument panel or motor home visual distance in mind, not really as a high resolution video monitor. A family member with visual acuity issues also selected a 7200 for your stated reason and noted a distinct improvement -- meaning he could actually see it compared to the more typical 3 - 4" screen which he couldn't see at all. If you have a chance, post a picture of your installation when you make it happen ... I'm sure others would appreciate seeing it installed on a motorcycle to get a sense of where to locate it and how it works out. For waterproofing, suppose you could use a shower cap when it rains.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 9:13 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitesseLT
It's a bigger screen for sure and likely to be much easier to see. It's pretty bright, too. Don't expect much better resolution or more information on the screen, though, for all that size. These critters were sort of designed with a truck instrument panel or motor home visual distance in mind, not really as a high resolution video monitor. A family member with visual acuity issues also selected a 7200 for your stated reason and noted a distinct improvement -- meaning he could actually see it compared to the more typical 3 - 4" screen which he couldn't see at all. If you have a chance, post a picture of your installation when you make it happen ... I'm sure others would appreciate seeing it installed on a motorcycle to get a sense of where to locate it and how it works out. For waterproofing, suppose you could use a shower cap when it rains.
Hey Sean I finished the install yesterday. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I can see it plenty good without my glasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cockpit 09 002.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	25724   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cockpit 09 005.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	832.4 KB
ID:	25725   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cockpit 09 004.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	25726  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Neat, Dave! - With two navs and a compass, I'm following you for sure

Thanks for the pictures.

I see you used the stock cradle - how'd that work out -- did you use bolts or the adhesive puck? Guess a photo from the other side would answer that.

I'm on a cage road trip now with a Nuvi 360 and a Magellan 760. I like the Nuvi's ability to walk around town, but I miss my 7500 for the same reasons you wanted one.
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Dave, that's a pretty neat install
But can you see where you're going?

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Be safe out there Brother!

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:14 pm

Well the big question is how to make it water proof?

Looks good though.

Later

Steve A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in