The Final Word on ZUMO and 2730--From Garmin Tech Support - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

The Final Word on ZUMO and 2730--From Garmin Tech Support

OK, after half an hour on hold, spoke at length with tech support from Garmin, about differences between the upcoming Zumo and the 2730 for motorcycle usage.

1. The ZUMO has a .3" (diagonal) smaller screen, and lower resolution

2. The ZUMO has been designed specifically for motorcycle usage, but "can be used in a car"--what this basically means is although the touch screen "buttons" are larger to accomodate gloved fingers, and the scroll and functions are on the left side, it DOES NOT HAVE all the features of the 2730--he mentioned in particular the 2730's built in function with subscription to the XM service of automatically routing you around construction areas.

3. Neither the 2730 NOR the ZUMO's built-in GPS antennae have the capability of receiving XM. Sooooo, if you want to use XM, you have to have the GXM-30 external puck-like antenna. The 2730 comes packaged with one IN THE BOX, the ZUMO does not. Guess what? the GXM-30 has a suggested retail price of, get this, $267.84 friggin' dollars!!!!!

4. One benefit of the ZUMO over the 2730 is that it comes with the power/audio cord and bracket kit that you have to buy separately for the 2730 for about $50..PLUS some kind of mounting bracket for your bike.

5. I asked "OK, every source says "fourth quarter" for release, do you have anything more definite?" he replied "probably November."

6. Finally, I asked "will what I actually SEE on the screen, in terms of what is displayed, the graphics, the maps, etc. be any DIFFERENT on the ZUMO than on the 2730?" (which was what I really wanted to know, because the picture gallery for the ZUMO looked a lot "cooler" than that for the 2730 on their site) and his response was "they are exactly the same."

So...

My final decision is made.

2730...slightly bigger screen, higher resolution, SAME software, actually available. Costco.com has it for $699.99 and I don't have to sink another $270 to get an antenna for XM, but will have to buy the $50 power/audio cord and bracket kit.

ZUMO...looks neat, won't be available for at least three months, best price is likely to be that $789 we saw PLUS $270 for XM--so over $1,000.

My head hurts.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Zumo vs. 2730

Don't forget the Zumo has built-in battery power. It's nice to be able to take the GPS off the bike to use for walking tours or in the hotel at night.

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Pete,
2 questions on the 2730:
1) Can we mount it on the old 2002 BMW SPIII mount?
I mean: do they share the same platform for mounting?

2) The MP3 player on the 2730 can one play it thur the voice cable?
My old SPIII has the voice cable and it is working. I wonder if I can connect that cable and then have an MP3

3) (did I wrote 2 questions??) Wich Costco has that price??? I checked the one near my house and they don't even have the GPS...

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Wich Costco has that price??? I checked the one near my house and they don't even have the GPS...
Thank you
Elton,

It's available online at Costco.com if you have a membership, or can convince someone to 'lend' you their member number.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...av=&browse=&s=1

Good luck,
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Elton,

It's available online at Costco.com if you have a membership, or can convince someone to 'lend' you their member number.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...av=&browse=&s=1

Good luck,

Thank you. Looks like it is only available on-line... I would like to feel the unit on my hads...

Still thinking.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
1) Can we mount it on the old 2002 BMW SPIII mount?
I mean: do they share the same platform for mounting?

2) The MP3 player on the 2730 can one play it thur the voice cable?
My old SPIII has the voice cable and it is working. I wonder if I can connect that cable and then have an MP3
1) No. The 2730 is like the NavII (or Garmin 2610). You would need a new mount.

2) You will also need to adapt your current cable...but it can be done. It would probably just be easier to buy a new cable though.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

how 'bout that, couldn't even see my lips move...

lol

happy birfday toooo meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(contributions to the Pete Van Dyke Garmin 2730 Birthday fund can be made via PayPal to [email protected])

CHEERS!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Nice to hear

It's nice to hear a reasonable voice break through the massive hype surrounding the upcoming Garmin Zumo. As petevandyke correctly concludes his analysis, the thing offers less than the 2730 in nearly every respect but one: The Zumo has an internal battery.

But really, how difficult is it to take along the AC power cord for use in your hotel room? It might be important for campers, but that's about it. And who needs LESS screen resolution??

Newest is not always best.

Philip
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Re: K1200LT 2000, 550 Garmin ZUMO

Hi I,m new here lots of great information.
Just bought a Garmin 550 ZUMO and have installed it on a K1200LT year 2000. I have a couple of questions. I have installed it so it goes through my radio using the CD control. Since the ZUMO has a MP3 player I thought I would disconnect the CD player. It won't let me. Has anyone run into this problem? It would sure give me more room in the side bag. Just to let you know it works great MP3, XM and the navigation but only if I still have the CD changer connected. Maybe there is another way?
Another question, my stereo seems to work great when you first turn it on but after it warms up the speakers are distorted. Could it be corrosion on the connections or my amp? I have pulled the speakers and they seem fine.
I paid $779.00 + $267.00 for the XM antenna
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: K1200LT 2000, 550 Garmin ZUMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reids
Hi I,m new here lots of great information.
Just bought a Garmin 550 ZUMO and have installed it on a K1200LT year 2000. I have a couple of questions. I have installed it so it goes through my radio using the CD control. Since the ZUMO has a MP3 player I thought I would disconnect the CD player. It won't let me. Has anyone run into this problem? It would sure give me more room in the side bag. Just to let you know it works great MP3, XM and the navigation but only if I still have the CD changer connected. Maybe there is another way?
Another question, my stereo seems to work great when you first turn it on but after it warms up the speakers are distorted. Could it be corrosion on the connections or my amp? I have pulled the speakers and they seem fine.
I paid $779.00 + $267.00 for the XM antenna
Paul, you should start a new thread in the GPS forum. No one will see it here. Okay, I did, but not anyone who can help you. Give it a good subject that helps people see the issue.

I've got a Zumo on order. Hopefully I'll get in in a couple days, but others here have spent a lot of time with it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in